Wavy refinished hardwoods

Discussion in 'General Flooring Discussion' started by hildebrandt.ta, Jan 14, 2020.

Help Support Flooring Forum by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2020 #1

hildebrandt.ta

hildebrandt.ta

hildebrandt.ta

We just had our floors redone and they are very wavy. The waves run perpendicular to the wood and are uniform across the floor in the open areas. These were PRE finished boards and the contractor seemed to think that may be the issue. Is this a bad sanding job or could it be the boards?

upload_2020-1-14_12-43-57.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Jan 14, 2020 #2

Don Monfils

Don Monfils

Don Monfils

Professional Pro

I know next to nothing about refinishing but , It looks like a botched sanding job to me.

zannej likes this.
  3. Jan 15, 2020 #3

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

The floor is rustic looking so I'm wondering if that's what it is supposed to look like. I mean, the look is consistent throughout.

4. Jan 15, 2020 #4

Dan

Dan

Dan

Professional Pro

You'll find that people who don't want to stand behind their work will say just about anything to somehow make it someone else's fault.

Even if it were possible (it is NOT) the previous finish had anything to do with the price of rice in China, the contractor took on the job. He is the professional and is supposed to know how to do the job correctly.

There are a number of things that can cause chatter or wave, but without being on the floor it's difficult to tell you which you have. Most chatter issues are due to drum sander maintenance or operation. Most wave issues can range from a floor that was not flat in the first place (and not corrected during the sanding process) to joist deflection allowing bounce, to incorrect voltage for the machine, to something as simple as bad or dirty wheels on the sander.

zannej and Don Monfils like this.
  5. Jan 16, 2020 #5

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

Can't really say much without knowing the manufacturer and the exact product. I can't see any mill shipping out a pre finished product like what we are seeing, without that being intentional. I've be never been through a mill, but I think it would be pretty obvious to anyone overseeing the operation that something was going horribly wrong. I think the look is intentional. The wood is rough and rustic, not polished like a site finished floor. Be nice if the original poster would chime back in with the product info.

6. Jan 16, 2020 #6

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

I misread the topic info..... I thought the new floor was a pre finished product.

7. Jan 16, 2020 #7

DarisMulkin

DarisMulkin

DarisMulkin

Professional Pro

I'd say it is the refinishers problem. If you look at the "wave" they go across more than one board some more than 3.

8. Jan 16, 2020 #8

zannej

zannej

zannej

Professional Pro

When you say re-done, do you mean this is a new install or do you mean they just re-sanded and re-finished them?
    Love the dining chairs btw.