Wavy refinished hardwoods

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hildebrandt.ta

We just had our floors redone and they are very wavy. The waves run perpendicular to the wood and are uniform across the floor in the open areas. These were PRE finished boards and the contractor seemed to think that may be the issue. Is this a bad sanding job or could it be the boards?

upload_2020-1-14_12-43-57.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-14_12-41-42.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-14_12-41-42.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 227
The floor is rustic looking so I'm wondering if that's what it is supposed to look like. I mean, the look is consistent throughout.

These were PRE finished boards and the contractor seemed to think that may be the issue.

View attachment 9958
You'll find that people who don't want to stand behind their work will say just about anything to somehow make it someone else's fault.

Even if it were possible (it is NOT) the previous finish had anything to do with the price of rice in China, the contractor took on the job. He is the professional and is supposed to know how to do the job correctly.

There are a number of things that can cause chatter or wave, but without being on the floor it's difficult to tell you which you have. Most chatter issues are due to drum sander maintenance or operation. Most wave issues can range from a floor that was not flat in the first place (and not corrected during the sanding process) to joist deflection allowing bounce, to incorrect voltage for the machine, to something as simple as bad or dirty wheels on the sander.

Can't really say much without knowing the manufacturer and the exact product. I can't see any mill shipping out a pre finished product like what we are seeing, without that being intentional. I've be never been through a mill, but I think it would be pretty obvious to anyone overseeing the operation that something was going horribly wrong. I think the look is intentional. The wood is rough and rustic, not polished like a site finished floor. Be nice if the original poster would chime back in with the product info.

When you say re-done, do you mean this is a new install or do you mean they just re-sanded and re-finished them?
Love the dining chairs btw.

Wavy sanding marks,
improperly nailed,
machine out of line,
subfloor cmprmised due to moisture , osb,
all reasons listed in Problems Causes and Cures,

loosely nailed is most common, tem thar sanders are heavy

Latest posts

Back