Welding lino

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
I have never welded lino. No market for it here. I know Barry does some great looking jobs. Does it takes years to learn? Do any other members weld?

Floorist got some to weld tomorrow
Want to pop down and I will give you a free lesson :D

LOL like it Jon,
The grove is the key to any good weld no matter what the material is, butt your drops up nice and tight together, then grove out a nice even grove along the seam to be welded. Liester temperature is also key, start off at 4.5 if thats to slow or not hot enough turn heat up in .5 increments at a time. Test out on some waste first by groving some lines in it, once you've got the temperature right you're away nice and steady at the same speed.
Also in most cases if possible leave welding till next day allowing the adhesive time to cure.

Welding "lino" is nice, soft work but if you make a mistake it could be very costly. I find the hardest material to weld to be actual linoleum. But it just takes longer and more skill. It's not like lumping carpet up the stairs. The easy ones are commercial homogeneous solid color vinyl like Medintech or Mipolam. Most of the rubber sheet goods I've welded were also very easy to deal with. Altro safety floor and those with the aluminum oxide particles are not fun. They ruin your tools and bloody your knuckles but most flooring guys are used to that kind of pain and stupidity. Nothing really difficult once you get the heat setting and pace correct.

ALWAYS start with a scrap and to a 2-3 foot test. You're not just figuring for the particular rod and material but also making sure your gun is fired up to the right temperature base on the consistency of the electric current.

Hardest thing for me is welding off temporary power boxes and 500W halogen lighting. Every time some other dude from another trade fires up a saw or whatever I can feel the electricity draw affecting my welding AND tweaks out the halogens.

Loads of fun there.

Welding "lino" is nice, soft work but if you make a mistake it could be very costly. I find the hardest material to weld to be actual linoleum. But it just takes longer and more skill. It's not like lumping carpet up the stairs. The easy ones are commercial homogeneous solid color vinyl like Medintech or Mipolam. Most of the rubber sheet goods I've welded were also very easy to deal with. Altro safety floor and those with the aluminum oxide particles are not fun. They ruin your tools and bloody your knuckles but most flooring guys are used to that kind of pain and stupidity. Nothing really difficult once you get the heat setting and pace correct.

ALWAYS start with a scrap and to a 2-3 foot test. You're not just figuring for the particular rod and material but also making sure your gun is fired up to the right temperature base on the consistency of the electric current.

Hardest thing for me is welding off temporary power boxes and 500W halogen lighting. Every time some other dude from another trade fires up a saw or whatever I can feel the electricity draw affecting my welding AND tweaks out the halogens.

Loads of fun there.

That really is a pain when someone else starts plugin in splitter boxes into your line and then starts running saws and what not from it, that drives me insane. Thats why I lock down a supply for me and me alone before I even breakout the welder, I see the site agent and tell him what I need which usually results everyone else gettin un pluged and me gettin my own supply, then he says thats yours and if anyone else tries to use it unplug them and tell them to come and see me. I run one lead to my area and if anyone else puts a splitter in and draws off my supply it comes out straight away.

Latest posts

Back