what adhesives adhere to the vinyl trim moldings for products such as Cortec

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
E6000 and gorilla clear contact adhesive both work. There have been on the stinky side and if you were using those on a lot strips such as a set of stairs you'd probably get sued. 😁
Installers around here use the equivalent of Chemrex 948 and they don't even bother to scuff the back of the trim pieces. They can hold the material in place but it doesn't really stick all that well. I was just asked to fix a loose piece of trim on a stair and after pulling the piece off the stair I could scrape 100% of the camera off of the back of the trim using a 1-in putty knife...... I probably could have scraped It off with my thumbnail just as easy. I recently removed two small areas of Cortec in each area had some trim and one piece of stair nose. The stair nose was partially held on by a couple of drywall screws off to the side so that wasn't sticking so well to begin with. The baby threshold pieces Just peeled right off the material like butter.
What other adhesives are out there that don't stink up a whole house?

Urethane or Silane based adhesives work well for these types of transitions and nosings. Mannington has a branded product called TripleStix for their trims, but it would work with any manufacturer's product. A little outside the box but KerdiFix from Schluter will also work extremely well for vinyl trims. With resins for urethane adhesives being in short supply, it can be a bit difficult to find them sometimes but KerdiFix seems to be readily available. Another product that works well is JetTac by Duo-Fast. It's in a standard 10.3 oz. caulk tube size but it's actually a two part epoxy that mixes as it comes out of the nozzle. It can be a bit pricier than the others but since it mixes in the nozzle you can save what you don't use for the next job and put a new nozzle on.

I used silicone for years and it works great. Lately I’ve been using Dap Ultra or Lexel for my reducers.
When the Dap is used on bullnose for stairs, how long before people can walk on them. Overnight?
Also, how smelly is it. I'm guessing it's similar to Level?

Urethane or Silane based adhesives work well for these types of transitions and nosings. Mannington has a branded product called TripleStix for their trims, but it would work with any manufacturer's product. A little outside the box but KerdiFix from Schluter will also work extremely well for vinyl trims. With resins for urethane adhesives being in short supply, it can be a bit difficult to find them sometimes but KerdiFix seems to be readily available. Another product that works well is JetTac by Duo-Fast. It's in a standard 10.3 oz. caulk tube size but it's actually a two part epoxy that mixes as it comes out of the nozzle. It can be a bit pricier than the others but since it mixes in the nozzle you can save what you don't use for the next job and put a new nozzle on.
Chemrex 948 is urethane, but it seems to hold the material in place but doesn't stick to it as good as I would expect.
I believe this is the same product as Chemrex 948 and Power hold 948, both of which have become hard to come by in our location.
I tried out the loctite product here and it behaves exactly like the others and it's the same color too.
https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/...ethaneconstructionadhesive4ozsqueezetube.htmlCould the problem be that they simply need to abraid the backside of the trims with some 50 grit paper so it has something to grab onto?
One quality it has is it's thick enough to act as a bit of a hard filler, to fill or even out any voids.
The shop does a lot of tile work and I'll see if they have any of that Kerdi Fix.

That's a good point. Hmmmm.....

After you apply the urethane adhesive try misting it with a bit of water from a spray bottle and see if you get a better grab. That should accelerate the grab and cause it to set harder. That may help too. Any texturing would certainly help bond strength, but I don't think you should have to do that to install them. I agree they should sand them before they send them.

When the Dap is used on bullnose for stairs, how long before people can walk on them. Overnight?
Also, how smelly is it. I'm guessing it's similar to Level?

Stair nose you gotta use construction adhesive and you’re lookin at 24 hours. I may leave blue tape on as a visual reminder for the customer to be careful where they step. They can easily remove the blue tape the next day if I’m not coming back. Regular ol transitions get silicone and a 23 gauge pin nail to hold them in place. Dap Ultra and Lexel are both solvent based and bite fairly solid within 20 to 30 min. I’ll tape em or weight em if I have to but I can remove it before I leave. Mineral spirits for clean up if you’re an oozer.

If I’m using the track I’ll Dap the track down first thing and it’s set up enough to snap in my reducers right before I leave.

Latest posts

Back