What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Birthday, Rusty! I hope you're having a good day.

Highup, I'm sorry to hear about your brother's stroke. I was just thinking about strokes and how much they suck recently. My aunt Emily died of a stroke at 54. My father had at least one small stroke. My maternal grandmother had multiple strokes. Even my old dog (who is still alive) had a stroke so her face sags on one side and for a long time she had weakness on her left side.

And I recently read that the late Dick Enberg's son, Alexander, had a massive stroke at age 41 and was comatose. He had some bit roles on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek Voyager. I was wondering why he stopped doing voice work and then found the article about the stroke.

Here I go babbling again. LOL.

I took my dog to the vet (after much chasing her around bc she saw the leash and tried to run only she's too old to run so she just hobbled away from me as fast as she could). She's about 15-years-old so her back legs are weak. She did try to climb in to the truck once I got the leash on but I had to pick her up. She tried to escape at the vet's office (got out of her collar because it was too loose) and I had to chase after her and carry her in. She's lost a lot of weight. When she first had the stroke she weighed 90lbs. She's now 45lbs. She had bloodwork to check her thyroid levels and the vet said I can keep giving her the 0.5 dosage but to give it once per day instead of twice. If I give it twice it brings her levels up too high, but if I don't give her any she seems to feel miserable and lethargic.

Speaking of thyroid, the increased dosage seems to be helping me-- and I mentioned to the vet how I had to be given a higher dosage despite being in "normal" range and how I could empathize with the dog bc the hypothyroid just makes me so exhausted and I could see it was doing the same to the dog.

Before I went outside, I had to contend with the kitties in the front room. The little calico, Aminatu, is a very persistent and demanding kitty. I was holding her older sister, Hatshepsut, and the little bugger got jealous and climbed my leg.

I got bored and uploaded some pictures of my father's trip to Giza, Egypt in 2002.
tumblr_p6huhdlMF51qkwd9ao9_1280.jpg

tumblr_p6huhdlMF51qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p6huhdlMF51qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

Thanks zannej. He's doing fine now. It took a few years for him to get back to his old self. I wish I had 10% of his smarts. He was an A student in school and didn't have to study. I studied and struggled to get C's.o_O
I'm not interested in travel, but there's a few things that would be fun to see up close. Those pyramids have always baffled me....... I mean, no lasers, no cranes, no diamond saws. They couldn't build one of those today.

Highup, I would still love to see the pyramids some day. From some ancient graffiti they found near some of they pyramids, they believe they used ropes and sand to cut things (rubbing the ropes over the sand cut through the stone) and attached to heavy things on ropes to help lift/move them. But, they would have needed the right wind conditions.

I've always been fascinate with ancient civilizations and their structures and technology. Egypt has always been one of the places that appealed to me. When my father went there, he had the tour guide who often appears on television documentaries that air in the US. My father loved to collect knowledge and was interested in many subjects. He had a Bachelor or Science degree in Philosophy (he said he took it because it was the fastest way to get a BS so he could get a federal law enforcement job). Later on he got a Master's degree in Invertebrate Zoology, but he also was self-taught about Geology. He was able to tell which rocks would have fossils and so forth. So, when he was on that tour, he started pointing out the different types of stone to the tour guide and telling her the geological info on it.

There's all sorts of stuff that I think people used to know almost inherently that has been lost due to training people to do things in different ways and be more reliant on tools. But then, ancient civilizations had a lot of knowledge that has been lost. There was some tablet or something with writing that no one could quite decipher until a mathematician looked at it and realized it was ancient trigonometry that is more advanced than modern trig. I do wonder if ancient humans had what is called "magnetoception"-- natural perception of direction. A friend of mine who is severely autistic and didn't speak until she was 8-years-old eventually started talking and went to Caltech. She now teaches and participates in brain studies. She's always had a good sense of direction and when they did brain scans, they found that she has magnetoception and can tell which way is magnetic north and so forth. Now, maybe it's because she has what they would call a "neuro-atypical brain" but it could be a throwback. I, on the other hand, have a terrible sense of direction and get lost in doctor's offices and in my own town. LOL. Although, if the sun is out and I know what time it is, I can ballpark estimate direction by the sun's position. But I can't remember road maps worth crap. LOL. So, navigation console in my truck is great.

"I do wonder if ancient humans had what is called "magnetoception"-- natural perception of direction. A friend of mine who is severely autistic and didn't speak until she was 8-years-old eventually started talking and went to Caltech. She now teaches and participates in brain studies. She's always had a good sense of direction and when they did brain scans, they found that she has magnetoception and can tell which way is magnetic north and so forth."

If I make a paper pattern for an upstairs vinyl floor layout in a bathroom, and I have to take it to the basement to cut it out, it helps a lot if I lay the pattern in the same direction as the room it's going to fit in. I think most of the time my brain knows N/S even if it's cloudy.

I saw the King Tut exhibition in NY when i lived there ..
They had one of the blocks there .. You would not believe the size ..
Also the Mask .. Amazing the craftsmanship ..

I do fine usually with north and south until I get in my own subdivision which has a lot of "S"
curves. I have lived here 34 years and still am not sure which direction my house sits as I guess true north is the back corner of my house. To make matters worse the house numbers change as you round each curve which I am in the middle of. My house nuber is 809 and the neighbor across the street is 514. After the curve the numbers will go back into sequence from the corners. I was told the power company set up the numbering system and if it isn't true N,S,E, or West the numbers change.

:camping:

Daris

I wouldn't be able to live in one of those neighborhoods clustered with cookie cutter houses with winding turns and stuff. I'd constantly get lost. And the weird thing is, I used to navigate suburban neighborhoods just fine as a kid. I also got straight A grades and rarely had to study. I think if my mind worked the way it works now back in school I wouldn't have passed. LOL. I've developed ADD and memory problems. My sister is still a genius though.
Early this morning I was inspired by a star trek wiki page that had little tooltips pop up OnMouseOver to say the season and episode number when moving the cursor over the episode title. I'm an admin on a website for a tv show that has a list of upcoming episodes, so I wanted to do something similar-- only I wanted to have the synopsis for the episodes instead. I looked at the source code and with a little trial and error, got it working on my page. I was rather proud of myself. Sadly, it doesn't work for my members that use it on their phones/tablets.

Back in the early days of this forum, I did some of the software changes. Works better now with Angie doing it. Keith, the owner, handed me this forum and said, it's yours run it.

Floorist, you run it, I just help with the background/new stuff. The important part with the people, you take care of.

Well, I like the features. I wish that Zetaboards had some of the features, but it's free so I can't complain. I've managed to get a custom cursor, various color themes, a countdown timer for when the next episode airs, etc. A friend of mine who is a neuroscientist helped with some of the more advanced coding. Back before .php, .xml, .asp. and css, I used to hard-code websites in Notepad. I had very limited use of javascript, but I did have background color change OnMouseOver, Image flip, and some other neat stuff. But the websites were very simple and clunky. I found some software at the naval exchange one day that taught how to make webpages in a very easy way and when I had to take Internet as a class in college for my degree I was able to test out of the class by teaching website making for a couple of days. The teacher had been using Angelfire and teaching the students to just use their webpage generator. I showed them how to actually do the code and explained what all of the tags were and why they were used. One of the younger kids in the class told me that my custom logo was "dope". I also tutored a 75-year-old man from Taiwan in the class. I miss that guy. I wonder if there's any chance he's still alive. He was really sweet.

I just remember C: prompts. I learned a bit of Unix Admin before being exposed to the new Clipper chip PCs.

My wife always reminds me. When we got our first computer, the guy wanted to know what "name" we wanted to give it. I said "boat anchor", all they are good for. I now own 4 laptops (2 W7, 1 W 8.1, 1 Vista) and a couple old desktops.

Oh, I remember DOS. My first computer was an Apple II E with monochrome screen. I was programming in BASIC in DOS. I made graphics but I couldn't see any of the colors. LOL. I don't remember most of the commands now either.

My uncle's wife (who is borderline mentally challenged) took a computer class and the ONLY thing she retained from it was how to format C:. For some reason, she got it stuck in her head that it was the best way to fix a computer if it was slow. She wiped her son's computer TWICE before he took her keys to his apartment away. He had told her after the first time to never touch his computer again. But she was always a snoop and had to be up in his business so she tried to see what he had on his computer and when she couldn't get it to do what she wanted (bc she wasn't smart enough to remember or figure it out) she formatted C:.

Today I got bored again and decided to update the plumbing terminology on the plumbing forums. By the time I was done, it was over 20k character limit so I had to split it in to two posts. LOL.

My wife always reminds me. When we got our first computer, the guy wanted to know what "name" we wanted to give it. I said "boat anchor", all they are good for. I now own 4 laptops (2 W7, 1 W 8.1, 1 Vista) and a couple old desktops.
Man Rusty, I hate my laptop/notebook thingy........... not just the Win10 that's on it. With my PC, the screen is to my right and the keyboard is in my lap. I can swivel towards the TV then back to the screen. I can't stand connected screens and keyboards. The screen on my HP laptop is terrible compared to the used cheap Dell screen. I wouldn't trust the screen contrast and resolution on the laptop for messing with photos. For general web surfing, the laptop is fine.
I still want a new HD for the PC and Win 7 or whatever's best. Currently I'm XP and love it. I Belong to the "if it ain't broke" generation.
10 has been broke from day one and they haven't stopped upgrading and fixing it's errors since then. They never will. My 2 year old laptop/notebook can't be upgraded and they have shut off support for my W10 version since November. How many years did they continue support for XP, 7 and 98?
Does anyone recall W10 was supposed to the last and the ultimate program MS has ever created......... Has a few good things, but not impressed at all for my use. Where's the freekin drag and drop. That was a gem.

Latest posts

Back