What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still haven't gotten a round-tuit Nick. I'm training my new indoor outdoor thermometer. It's not bein' cooperative like my old one. This one has a 14 to 30 day training mode. Not sure, but I'm thinking the training period improves it's accuracy predicting dooms day.
I delivered and installed 5 area rugs and pads this afternoon. Customer is pleased with the results.............. so.... sew is me and sew is the guy that performed the binding. He does really nice work. I The big rug was sort of a 20' x 9' kidney shape. It looked pretty nice installed and with the furniture back on it. The others were the hallway and small pieces for the entries and sink area.
The first time I worked for this guy was just over 30 years ago. He's pretty much retired now. He owns the local Ford dealership and his kids are in charge now. He's mellowed nicely over time, most likely without the stress of running the ship. He has another small project for me, so that's a good thing.

I'm glad I didn't go with Win10 then. For one, the forced automatic updates are something my bandwidth limits wouldn't be able to handle. My sister was kvetching about that. I don't care if Win7 is outdated. I don't ever want something that forces updates. If my ISP didn't count windows updates toward the usage limit, it might not be so bad, but I still don't like my computer doing stuff without permission.

I was reading that for the most part, laptops are less efficient than getting all-in-ones or tablets because laptops tend to cost more and have battery life issues. All-in-Ones tend to have less storage though. My mother has a 21" All-in-One that is essentially a giant tablet. She was complaining about her 10" tablet having too small of a screen. It doesn't have much power/memory but it lets her play the games she wants to play and she can lift it and move it easily. Meanwhile she has a gaming laptop that weighs so much she can't really pick it up and move it on her own. It's very powerful, but unwieldy.

I think in the future, large screen tablets that can be set up as screens with separate keyboards will probably be more popular and useful. Accessories can be made to communicate via bluetooth, NFC, or via wireless routers/LAN instead of plugging in to ports. The problem will be affordability. Prices are always high when something new comes out.

Another trip to the ER. Left foot is swollen. After x rays, blood tests etc. They decide it is tendinitis. Another thing for old people. I think they are going to name a room after me.

Floorist, I hope your foot gets better soon. I know that sometimes medicines can cause swelling-- at least for my mother it did. I don't know if any of mine cause swelling, but I have to keep my feet elevated or else they swell-- but I've long had a problem going back to my early teens where my hands and feet would swell for no apparent reason.

My unlucky friend is relieved to have made it through Easter / April 1st. He was very nervous because April 1, 2015 he nearly died in a car wreck and Easter 2016 his house burned. Having both combined on the same day was making him worry about having terrible luck again. But, he has a safer vehicle, he didn't leave his house, he doesn't have a working stove, and his current girlfriend (well, now she's his fiance) is neurotic about safety. I'm rather proud of her. She took her driver's ed classes, got her license, and is now driving despite all of her worries and anxiety. His previous gf was in her late 20s and never got her license and has no intention of getting one. She just intends to be completely dependent for the rest of her life. Current one is also looking for a job while the ex has no intention of ever having a job again.

There was a funny moment after she showed me the engagement ring and asked me if I would help her plan the wedding. My friend didn't leave me squirming for long (he knows I hate weddings) and said that if the wedding required plumbing, I'd be all over it, but that weddings and "girly stuff" weren't my thing.

Could not flexing the foot enough cause tendinitis?

I have no idea what the weather is supposed to be here, but it's cold and looks like it's going to rian. There was a big hailstorm in Shreveport the other day. Rather large hailstones.

Don't see how it could affect my foot for the worse, but I have been watching what I eat and have dropped 24 lbs. I am so much more relaxed in this house than the other one, I don't snack all evening.

Well the weight loss and better diet are good. The foot thing not so much though. I could stand to lose some weight and eat better.

Dead day on the forum. Can you hear me now?
Some of us have to work. :D
I did a Duraceramic repair today. It was an un-grouted installation.After it was installed, the lady complained about a tile edge sticking up. The installer went back to fix it.
Still not happy, she called the store a second time for the same tile.
Installer fixed it again.
Lady still not happy.
............... highup was called to duty. ;)
I went down to the jobsite and chiseled the corner of the tile to begin removing it. (the lady left a post-it note on the tile. ...It said "Problem tile")
I was told the installer used some Chemrex 948 urethane adhesive on his second attempt and when it cured, the tile edge raised. Urethane adhesives all puff up if not clamped or weighted.
Well, he didn't use the adhesive to stick down the tile corner, he used the adhesive as a leveling compound under the entire 18" x 18" tile. The adhesive under that entire tile was 1/4 of an inch deep. :eek:
I'm guessing when the tile was pulled up on the second repair attempt, the flooring underneath it came up too, leaving a deep void. So to fill the void, he used adhesive as a leveling compound. I bet it took a full quart tube of adhesive. The repair was done well over a month ago and some of the adhesive was still uncured. What a mess. I returned today with an 18 by 18 inch piece of 1/4 inch plywood. I finished scraping up the repair area, then screwed the plywood into place and used the correct adhesive to glue down the tile.
The lady called me about 6pm and said she was happy with the repair. She's gonna call the shop tomorrow and let them know everything is good.
Ive talked with the installer a number of times and he does good work, so this is really confusing as to why he did such a strange fix, using all that adhesive as a filler. It dries hard, but not when it's that thick.
The job was little ways out of town, so he certainly wouldn't have thought of needing some 1/4 inch plywood............ That's what the second day should have included.

I had another day of just being exhausted for no apparent reason yesterday. My brain is still fuzzy.
Highup, that sounds like it must have been a pain to fix that tile situation. Maybe the installer was having an off day when it was put in? I'm glad you were able to fix it and the lady was happy.

Bought tags for my Caravan.
Went smooth. A friend "inspected" it. maybe 2 minutes. paid taxes, about 20 minutes, DMV 10 minutes. All our DMV places are privately owned, so in and out makes them more money. They only make $2 per customer

Latest posts

Back