What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in Babe Ruth Baseball league at age 13 they wanted us to sell pens for a dollar. That would have been 1973.

I sold 0ne pen after going door to door to at least 100 homes.

Not only would I never try to sell anything door to door again I never allowed my kids to do so.
I prefer to just pay the sports league, school club or association cash for that expected expense. It's a reasonable alternative for MOST families that cant just write a check OR can really raise a lot of money through sales for the cause. These are good causes. 100%

I buy the Girl Scout Cookies every year. They come to the house and I by them out front of the local grocery where I shop. Of course they're overpriced but at least they taste good.
I ate some of the best Girls Scout cookies ever made today...... still warm, just out of the oven. This particular Girl Scout is married to a ship pilot that I have known since I was a kid. Really cool family. He's a grade ahead of me, my brothers age, and he learned his trade from his father, who co-owned the local ship pilot company.
Last night my brother and I went to a 'talk' at the local history museum. The talk was about our local ship piloting history and was presented by the people I'm working for.
A few years ago they wrote a book about the local ship piloting here since it's beginnings back into the mid 1800's in they hey day of the logging and coal trade. They donate all of the proceeds from the book sales to the museum. Really cool, especially since they spent 4 years researching and writing the book including numerous trips to the east coast interviewing long lost relatives of the local pilots from those old days of this trade.
I learned last night during their talk that there are only about 1500 ship pilots in the USA................. so he's one of the rare and few men who do this sort of work. He steers those 1200 and 1500 ft long ships up the Columbia river into Portland and Vancouver.

That's gotta be one scary occupation. Unlike flooring, mistakes are not allowed.
The equivalent to us would be:
One bad seam and you are going to lose your entire carrier.

These people I'm working for are one of those literally perfect down to earth families where every one in the family is super smart, super nice and super generous to the community. No flaws or bad sheep anywhere. Really cool people and every day working there is a good one.

Back to the Girl Scout Cookies............. cookies at noon fresh from the oven, then a bag full when I left today. Life is good.
..........did I mention, I work for food? :D

Last edited:
I remember back when I was taking business classes in college. They discussed how the oil companies drive up demand so they can justify higher prices by limiting the number of refineries. We have a surplus of oil, but because they regularly shut down refineries (or refuse to open new ones), they keep the refined oil supply low. It's a scam. Diamond sellers do something similar. Diamonds are actually very common, but they control almost all of the mines as well as some of the gold mines so they can control how much is sold. They limit the sales so they can charge higher prices. Although, I would never deliberately buy diamonds from a mine. A lot of the people my father interviewed for asylum had come from those areas. The people controlling the mines were absolutely brutal-- raiding villages to kidnap children to use as slave labor, randomly mutilating people (cutting off limbs) and/or torturing them just to keep them scared, and killing people who wouldn't cooperate or who they considered to be threats.

I need to figure out if my friend has my weedeater (he's borrowed a lot of my tools & stuff) and see if I can tolerate being outside long enough to clear the weeds in my front yard near the sidewalk.

Meanwhile, the new dog has decided she doesn't like one of the cats. He's one of the newer ones my brother brought home and he fights with my other cats. He tried to come back inside day before yesterday & attacked one of my smaller kitties, Itsy. The dog ran out and broke the fight up and stood between them to defend Itsy. I put him in the room with his kittens & he ate but then he ran out again later. So, yesterday he tried to get back in and got into a loud disagreement with my older cats. The dog decided she'd had enough of him, started barking, and chased him out of the house. She did the same thing this morning when he came back in. While I don't want him fighting with my other cats, I don't want the dog to chase him out, but she just ignores me when I tell her to stay or stop. She hears cat yowling and runs out to investigate. Fippy (the little dog) still isn't fully accepting of her, but he's gotten more used to her. It drive him crazy that she runs up his doggy steps and climbs on my mother in her bedroom. He's very territorial and possessive of my mother. He growls if I go near her sometimes. I just start singing "shut your piehole, shut your little piehole" to him when he does that. Since I mentioned Itsy earlier, she either really hates my singing or thinks I'm in distress when I sing "The Last Rose of Summer" because she comes running over to me and meows at me. I've found that if she gets into a room and runs to a spot where I can't get her, I can sing and she'll come over to me.

I went to the store yesterday, got gas (didn't pay attention to the price per gallon but it was around $15-- not too bad), got some rotisserie chickens and tore all the meat off of them to store for later use. I'm going to have to clean the microwave today because my brother cooked something that splattered all over inside.

I bought a Works battery weed eater last year .. best move i made in a long time .. No more gas, engines that won't start ..

How many volts? Worked for a customer that had an electric blower. He did a demo for me. Pretty powerful. He loved it. Not sure the brand, but it had a rather high voltage as I recall

D'oh. I forgot to get my weedeater back from my friend last night.

In other news, Louisiana has now set a state minimum wage. Before it only relied on the federal minimum wage and most of the legislators refused to vote for a state one higher than federal because they own businesses and don't want to pay their employees more. The governor pushed to get it raised to $10 but the legislators refused, but they passed the one to make it go up to $8.50. Not much, but at one of my brother's previous jobs, everyone but the one store manager made less than $8. My brother had an argument with his boss about it bc the boss didn't believe him that wages went up and then got pissed off because in order to keep to the new VP's standards/rules, he would have to cut labor even more. The new VP used to run a bunch of fast food places and doesn't realize that Pizza Hut just won't work on that same model because of dine-ins. Since they got their big tax break they raised prices, eliminated discounts/special promotions, fired a bunch of employees, and cut back on the hours of remaining employees. My brother's boss didn't like one of the newer hires and rather than outright fire him, he just didn't put him on the schedule for a couple of months. Giving no hours to employees without officially firing them is one of the dirty tactics they pull.

Meanwhile, I made Mac N Cheese hamburger helper for the first time and it turned out great. I added some extra cheese. Although, I think I'd like to try it with potatoes instead of pasta. My mother used to make a cheesy meat & potatoes thing sort of like shepherd's pie. I let the dogs clean the pan.

When my daughter worked at Burger King, they would schedule people one hour a week, so they couldn't draw unemployment.
Maybe they did that out of compassion so more people would have jobs. :rolleyes:
I wonder what the owners house looks like. Maybe a local TV station needs to do a surprise interview with them as they arrive home some night.

This morning I got a call and found out my friend's mega-biyatch ex had to be rushed to the hospital last night & it turned out she had a tubal pregnancy and was bleeding out. Her mother was smart enough to drive her to the hospital in Eunice instead of the local one bc she would have died here. Had to get emergency surgery to remove the tube, a cyst, the ovary, and the fetus. The ex's boyfriend was devastated because he wanted the baby- and while it is sad, he has no idea how much of a bullet he just dodged. This chick is a mooch who likes to latch on to guys to support her and has a kid with them to get them hooked/stuck on her and then goes in to hellbeast mode. She's abusive to the men and to her kids. She has two right now and neither one of them like her or want to be around her. The son prefers to stay with his grandfather and cries when he has to go back to his mother. The daughter begs to stay at her father's house or with his grandparents because she doesn't like being around her mother. She also said that she doesn't want her parents to get back together and wants my friend to marry his current girlfriend. She adores the girlfriend and has accidentally called her "Mama" a few times.

On one hand, I sympathize with the guy for being upset about the loss and I even sympathize with the twunt for going through that experience, but ultimately it's better for all involved. She would have made the guy's life a living hell and the kid would have been miserable. She still mooches off of my friend- who pays her cellphone bill every month and lets her live in his trailer because they have a kid together. Now at least when the dude comes to his senses he will be able to flee without having being able to use a child as leverage to manipulate him. I just hope he realizes sooner rather than later and kicks her to the curb before she gets him so deep in debt that he can't get out. Even her own father admitted that she's an ungrateful parasite. My poor friend is still suffering bc she took out multiple credit cards in his name & maxed them out when he was recovering from the truck wreck.

I've been on this double wide manufactured home doing quickstep. No ones living in there, empty. Covered up a dang floor vent. Drilled a hole where I thought it was and missed. LOL Had to pull a third of the room up and the trim was in and caulked. When I was done I said screw it I'm going home at 2:30pm.

I can't say I blame you, Ernesto.

Speaking of trailers-- I just got a call from my friend's fiance. The jerkface trailer park owner next door destroyed the barriers/markers my friend put up on his property line (something he did to remind the jerk that he's not allowed to move trailers on to his property). The jerkface's daughter gave my friend a heads up and said that her father is planning to move a trailer on to his (my friend's) property very soon. So, my friend called the cops and is filing charges for trespass and property destruction & to have the cops tell the guy to back off. In larger towns they would probably tell him to take it up in civil court, but the mayor and cops know and like my friend so they are more likely to help him out on this.

I've been on this double wide manufactured home doing quickstep. No ones living in there, empty. Covered up a dang floor vent. Drilled a hole where I thought it was and missed. LOL Had to pull a third of the room up and the trim was in and caulked. When I was done I said screw it I'm going home at 2:30pm.
I had a housing contract years ago E .A 3 area pull through with Vinyl.. Kitchen, foyer, Powder room..
Forgot to cut the vent in the PW.. Winter time .. Took the lady two months to complain how cold the rm was .. LOL

Oops. That must have been embarrassing.

I'm trying to control my temper right now because my brother's boss just called during dinner and TV time while my brother was asleep (it's his day off). I tried to wake him, but he is a sound sleeper. My mother answered the phone and was talking to the boss. I reported back that he wasn't waking up & she told the boss he was sleeping. The boss then demanded to speak with him and ordered her to go wake him up so he could discuss the schedule (a few months ago my brother scheduled a specific day off and my mother didn't remember that). The boss then shouted at her that if she didn't go wake him up he wasn't going to give him that day off. He friggin' shouted at my mother.... She said "Oh shut up!" and immediately hung up the phone and ranted about what a jerk he was to yell at her. That guy better hope I don't see him in the store anytime soon because I will light him up. I don't care who the f he thinks he is, nobody talks to my mother that way.
I told my bro when he woke up and he's livid. He shouldn't be talking to employees that way much less employee family members.
Sorry, venting... still pissed off about it.

I ordered a new mattress for the bed in the front room & was just delivered. The delivery truck was making a lot of noise on the way & had a headlight out. They didn't realize it was out, but I told them. The cows came to see what was going on and they commented that the cows were pretty. They were nervous about my old dog at first, but I told them "She's old and barely moves anymore- she's just going to sit there." When they got up closer they looked at her and said "She really *is* old!"
Later on I helped my brother clean up the litter and cat crap all over the front room (cats had been using the old mattress as a toilet bc my bro hadn't changed the litterboxes in months). He got the old mattress out and was waiting to move the new one in, but the waterproof mattress covers were still in the dryer. My mother then suggested that I could take the new mattress in my room and move my old one to the front room. We lost daylight before the covers were done drying so I'm waiting for my brother to wake up to help me move my old mattress to the front and move the new one to my room. I'm going from a 14" mattress to a 10" so it will be lower, but hopefully the covers will fit better and stay on. I may have to use those little suspender like clips on the underside to keep them in place. Old mattress weighs about 90lbs and new one is around 60lbs. The new one has some sort of cooling gel or something in it that I hope will help as the weather warms up.

Latest posts

Back