What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Politics is just crazy right now. I mean, it's always been nuts, but it seems even crazier these days. Maybe its because we hear more about it.

My brother went to work to check his schedule today and was told by his boss (who wouldn't look him in the face) that he had been let go. He didn't say fired and frankly, the boss didn't follow corporate policy. There were no write-ups or warnings. Other employees did far worse in the past and didn't get "let go". Hell, the boss did worse and is still there. This is a guy who literally yelled "F*** THE CUSTOMERS!" in front of a bunch of customers on a busy night.

So, my brother just filled for Unemployment while he's actively looking for other jobs. He's put in his resume at multiple companies. After the recent stuff his boss pulled with our mother, he's actually relieved to not work there anymore. The other employees are not happy though.

My stomach isn't agreeing with me today so I've been resting. On my way back through the front room after feeding the outside dog, I noticed the kittens had knocked some of our dinosaurs off the shelf. I bent down to pick them up and a kitten jumped on my back. I had to sit in a chair to get him to climb off without clawing the dickens out of me. Immediately 3 other kittens jumped on my lap and then two more ran over and jumped up. One climbed on my shoulders and the rest were on my lap, with some stretched up with their paws on my collarbone all just purring away. It was very soothing to just listen to all that purring.

Last edited:
I was at our city council meeting until 1 this morning. You see, the only transparent, honest and loyal councilwoman is a full fledged Democrat. She is a nature lover, an animal lover, volunteers at our animal shelter and is a retired professional CPA and teacher. The other 4 idiot council members are puppets of the old regime, and all claim Republican. Well, our beloved council woman discovered 13 million dollars that was not accounted for during our recent 61% water rate increase, where they claimed to be broke, so sensureship was their only way to silence her. Our group has about 15 retired police officers and our goal is to put them all in jail.

It is amazing that I too an a very conservative Republican, but honesty trumps party lines.

Havasu, I'm glad you have at least one good councilwoman there. I hope the people responsible for the missing $13mil do go to jail.

The temps around here have been in the high 90s and it's too hot for the cats so most of them have been staying inside. My chantilly kitty was all up in my face for most of the day, wanting to be petted. My old thick-furred dog hates this weather, but I can't get her to come inside anymore.

Fire ants have been all around. A few of them somehow got in to my bed and bit me last night. I need to figure out how to get rid of them without harming my pets.

Thanks, Nick. I'm leaning toward Diatomaceous earth because it is supposed to get rid of fleas too. If we can get rid of the damn fleas, we can also get rid of ear mites and tapeworm. On a side note, I found out that the wet wipes with shea butter actually got rid of ringworm on my cats. I've been using them on my mother's feet in addition to the anti-fungal toenail stuff on her toes. Probably TMI, but she kept getting a fungal infection on her chest under her bust and it hasn't come back since she started using the shea butter wipes.

Floorist, I'm glad you're losing weight. I really need to. I packed on the pounds on my belly and it makes it harder to bend over and sit up. It also makes me exhausted. I'd love to get back down under 200lbs again.

It was 98 degrees when I went to the post office yesterday. It was so hot that I decided to wait until after 10pm to go back in to town to go to the store. Today it was in the high 90s again and the weather forecast said the temps wouldn't get below 90 until midnight. I may have to drag my elderly dog inside and set her up in a confined area with a cooling gel dog bed, some puppy pads, food, and water so she doesn't die of a heat stroke.

The guy who bought the tractor from us called to say he's coming out tomorrow to clean up the yard and bush hog. My mother said "Are you sure? It's going to be really hot." He's such a sweet man. I'll have to put some beverages in the fridge to cool & see if he likes Otter Pops (frozen sugary flavored stuff in plastic tubes).

Have not said anything about it before, but I got fat. Since Feb. I have lost 28 lbs. It has sure helped my knees.
You lost quite a bit of weight a couple years ago. Glad to see you're working on it again. I've hovered around 214 and 219 for many years now. Not much change if eat, starve or over eat. I'm about 6' 3", so If I lost 28 lbs I'd look like a string bean.
I see a lot of people walking with canes or using those electric carts at the grocery store. Most are very overweight or obese and I bet most of them wouldn't need the canes and carts if they lost 50 or 100lbs. I know that's not an easy task. I mean, I can't even imagine myself getting motivated enough to make a drastic change in my routines or eating habits.
I'm glad you have the willpower to do what you're doing. Keep it up Rusty.

I run the sound of my TV through my old stereo system. The remote keys for volume and mute get used a lot (every time a commercial come on) and for the last year I've had to keep pressing the keys harder and harder to get them to function.
There are a lot of keys that are never used like the FM radio, the tape deck 1 and 2 forward and reverse etc. (yes dual cassette) :D
Anyhow, I don't know if any of you have taken a remote apart, but the entire keypad is a single piece of silicone with carbon impregnated on the back side of each key. I took mine apart, and using a drywall spreader for a straight edge, sliced the key pad into three sections . The center section contains 16 keys, all the same color. I simply rotated that section of the key pad 180 degrees so the 'never used' keys are now on the opposite side of the remote. The good and un-worn keys are now on the side where the mute and volume are.
Damn, works like new.
The carbon impregnated contact surfaces get worn over time and stop working. I was worried that my problem was the contacts on the circuit board that were worn........... nope. I like MacGyvering
.........especially when it works.:D

Last edited:
My wife rides on of those carts, she has very little feeling in one foot. I'm afraid if I ever rode one, it would get to be a habit.
I don't judge people that ride those carts. I have no clue what their physical situations are.
I'm afraid to ride them too........... I'd sneak it into a back section of the store, pop open the top and try to reset the governor to my speed preference........... zoom! zoom! zoom! I'd be a terror. Cleanup on aisles 3, 4, 5 and 7 :D

Last edited:
Have not said anything about it before, but I got fat. Since Feb. I have lost 28 lbs. It has sure helped my knees.
I've lost almost 20 lbs. Trying to stay off insulin. Want to get down to the 200 mark-would be the first time in 30 years Got almost 60 to go. Good for yoju Floor. Keep it up.

Daris

I'm 5'5" and weigh around 220lbs. My parents were both overweight pretty much my whole life. My mom has been overweight since her early 20s. I didn't start to gain weight until I busted my ankle. I wasn't able to walk properly for 2 years. I think in some cases people have mobility problems because of weight--but sometimes people have the weight because of mobility problems. If you have pain or/or can't move around enough to lose the weight, it can be tough. I mentioned that my mother has been heavy for a long time, but it wasn't until she got some sort of ear infection that damaged her inner ear so she loses her balance that she started using a cane and riding cart.

I had to use riding carts after some injuries-- ankle injuries, back injury, etc. Some carts are easier to control than others. The ones at Samsclub always seem to run out of battery. The one at HomeDepot (because they only seem to have one that works) is slow.

Highup, that is some clever work on the remote. I may have to try that sometime. I wonder whatever happened to the remote I got my elderly friend when his eyesight was going. The buttons were HUGE. He'd worn out the mute and channel up and down buttons on his old one and couldn't read them properly anymore. He laughed pretty hard when I got him the big remote with giant buttons, but he ended up using it.

The good neighbor came out around 8:00am. I went out to greet him and give him a hug and helped him pick up some trash that had blown around the yard. I stayed out until around 8:30 when I found my elderly dog on the ground unable to walk. She was yelping and whimpering to me. With my brother's help, I took her to the vet along with the new younger dog who needed her vaccines.Poor old dog had to be carried everywhere and the vet thought she was paralyzed until he pinched her toes and she pulled her feet away. She just doesn't have the strength to stand up easily-- although she can drag herself. Her back end has been getting weaker and I've noticed she had been shaking and having trouble lifting herself. He gave her a shot of steroids and then gave us some syringes full of more of it with instructions to give them to her again tonight and then tomorrow morning and night. Said to check back on Monday. Right now we have the poor old girl in the kitchen on a 3/4" antifatigue mat. I just went to check on her and she had slipped partway off so I picked her up and adjusted the mat. I got her to stand up and held her back end up to get her to stand for a little bit for better blood flow. She tried to walk away and actually made it a few steps before she fell over. But for now she's on the mat with a puppy pad under her back end. She's going to need it because she has been eating like a hog. I put out a can of wet food and she devoured it in less than 5 seconds. She's got her head right at the water bowl so she can stay hydrated.

Younger doggy isn't happy about the vaccines and didn't want to eat when she got home. She's been napping. The cat, Itsy, licked her face and is now curled up against her. The doggy gave us a run-around when we first got the old dog in the car. We put the younger one in first and then she jumped out and ran away to the front fenceline and then ran all along it in the wooded area with me trying to catch up. My brother followed on the outside of the trees and got ahead of her. When she reached the end fenceline she ran out and saw him and then had to run back toward me so I caught her. I think she ran a good 400ft or more before I got her. So, I got my exercise for the day. LOL. It was 86 degrees by 10am and was in the 90s before noon. My neighbor stayed out mowing the yard until after 1:30pm. I don't know how he can stand the heat. I'll have to call later to thank him because I didn't see him before he left.

I mowed my yard today ..Heard a clanking sound and called my service guy .. Tranny is going in a 3 yr old Sears .. $850.00 for a new tranny .. The mower only cost a grand ..:rolleyes: China made from Sears ..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back