What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually have a pair of Doctor Who suspenders but I haven't worn them yet. Not sure how well they will work given that I have small shoulders.

I've been taking care of the old dog and she's not doing so great. I swear she eliminates waste like a cow. She has soaked so many puppy pads and left huge piles of excrement. She still has an appetite-- loves the wet food but is not so interested in the dried food. She drinks a ton of water. I have her on puppy training pads but she overwhelms them and it runs off on to the floor. She always whines loudly whenever she goes because she doesn't want to lie in her own mess- can't blame her-- and she drags herself away a bit. She can actually stand albeit shakily for a short while if I pick her up and put her on her feet. Her back legs are very shaky. She took a few steps earlier and then sat down and decided to lie on her side. Sometimes she just falls on her side. I don't think she's ever going to regain her back leg strength sadly. She actually yelped earlier when she was trying to turn around and couldn't get quite where she wanted to go. She no longer wants to drink from the waterer and only wants fresh water. She keeps tipping it over or moving the bowl where she can't reach and then whines. I have to keep going in, cleaning up around her, cleaning her up, putting down fresh pads, and then moving her back on to the cushioned mat. She slept peacefully for awhile so I got a few hours of sleep in, but I'm not resting well. I think I'm more comfortable than she is though. She was panting heavily earlier-- I don't know if it's because its getting warmer in the house or if she's in pain. My mother thinks we should just get her put down. I really don't want to give up on her when she is still eating and drinking. But I don't want her to suffer. She got scared in the car ride to the vet and on the way home. So, I think if we are going to have that done we'll have to get a syringe from the vet to bring home and sedate her before the car ride so she won't be stressed out or scared. But I'm not ready to go there just yet.
I'm going to give her a bath later and see if it makes her feel any better. I wish I had a tub deep enough to help her sort of float so she can be upright without having to hold herself up. I've seen some muscle therapy done for dogs that way before.

The dog made some improvement. She managed to stand up on her own and walk over to the refrigerator before she needed to lie down. She later got up and walked over to the stove to lie down. Both times she lost control of her bowels and bladder before moving. I put puppy pads under her but they didn't catch 100% of the mess.
I went to the store today and while I was out she messed on the floor and it got all mixed together to make the floor slippery so when she tried to move she slipped in it and was stuck right in my mother's way. My mother called and was having a fit about it. When I got home I put down fresh pads and moved her. She had stepped in her crap and then decided to step on my feet (getting crap on my shoes). She didn't want to stay where I moved her and decided to walk back over her mess before I could clean it up. She slipped on it and got a tummy full of crap. I moved her again, cleaned up the mess, cleaned her up a bit, and got her to rest near the fridge again. I had puppy pads under her but she moved again and peed on the area rug. I was exhausted from all of the bending and lifting-- had to keep giving her more food and water once I got things cleaned up. I woke up and found she made it to my room and is lying in my doorway. She's not ready to give up so I'm going to keep trying to help her.
The vet said not to get my hopes up about her regaining mobility but he's going to give her some oral medication that might help. It seems that it was mostly her rear left leg that has been giving her trouble. She can stand for awhile and walk a bit if she can get traction, but she sometimes needs help getting up. I'm going to have to get her some doggie diapers and maybe a harness that lets me help support her back end.
Once my back recovers for the night, I'm going to have my brother help me get her to the bathtub and clean her up better.
Gas prices were about the same when I refueled today.
Before I went to the post office I went to visit a friend and asked for his help on assembling some kitchen cart thing my mother got off amazon using her reward points. This one was much easier to put together than the last one and we worked together to set it up. Only my mother didn't check the size before she ordered and I don't think it was designed for a full-grown adult to push. It was small even for my 5' tall friend. There is no way it would work for the purpose my mother wanted. My friend said that if my mother didn't want it he could use it to put stuff on for his grandfather. I talked to my mother on the phone and she said they could keep it (after I described how small it was). It's pretty and stuff, but very cheaply made and flimsy. It does match the decor in their home. The 5' friend took the cart to the grandfather's room and said "Do you have anything you'd like moved to the front, Sir" in a British accent. He apparently got a good chuckle out of it and they found a nice spot in the kitchen for it. The general idea is, instead of having to stand outside his door with something, they can leave it on the cart for him. There is no way that thing would have worked on my messed up floor.
I may have to see about looking at designs and making a cart for her. I can get stair rails for legs, some good sturdy wheels, I might be able to use some of the small little detail pieces from the cart that didn't want to go together properly bc it was terrible particle board...

So, yesterday the new cat tree from Wish arrived. There were chunks of particle board broken off of one of the pieces, but fortunately it was still usable and was something that ended up being hidden. My brother helped me assemble it and we put it together on the bed in the front room (with the kittens). I should have had a video camera set up because the kittens thought the new box and the new pieces were the best things to jump on, smack around, and play with. They also thought it was great to grab our hands when we were trying to tighten bolts. As each level got built up, the kittens climbed on it. We moved it to the floor to complete the upper assembly and the kittens stayed on it while it was moved. Some of the parts were labled incorrectly and there were mistakes in the directions (listed wrong part # for certain spots). Once we got it completed, it wasn't as much fun for the kittens so they abandoned it-- at least for awhile. Went back later and all 9 of the kittens were on it.

Brenda seemed pretty down yesterday-- she spent most of the day sleeping. Before she would beg for food/water every couple hours, but she just racked out. I got worried and put some water down, which woke her up. She drank it and ate some food, but she wasn't as ravenous as she had been before-- I think because she's not on the steroids anymore. She got up on her own and moved in to the hallway. Peed in a few places and slept there for awhile. She can get good traction on the carpet so she got up and slept in my doorway. Then she went back to the kitchen. Then she came back and slept near my bed. She ended up going in to the kitchen for water. When I opened the fridge to get something, she stuck her head in it and didn't want to move out of it. I guess she liked the cold air. I had to move her aside to shut the door and she decided to lie down. I heard her whining a few minutes ago-- wanting to stand up, but she couldn't get traction. Picked her up and put her on her feet, but she slipped and fell after a few steps. So I helped her up and made sure her feet had a good grip and continued to hold on to her to stabilize her. Once she was steady enough she made a B-Line to the hallway and peed on a puppy pad. So, that means she can control her bladder a bit better (although she did miss a little bit-- but she still made the effort). She then wandered back and forth in the hallway, went to the kitchen and drank some more water, wandered around the kitchen and hallway and then decided to sit and lie down in front of my brother's door. She was able to have control while she sat, so she didn't just flop over. I think it is a good sign and I still plan to get her some diapers and some sort of assist harness.

My brother took a photo of a few of the kittens on the new cat tree
tumblr_p9yemc0hrd1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
That;s about 9 cats more than I can handle. I spent last weekend at my ex's house with 4 cats and 4 dogs. Cat hair in my food, cats drinking water from the faucet, dogs grabbing food from the table, cat and dog hair everywhere, and me, I was sucking Zirtec like candy to keep my allergies in check

Had a company regrind, paint and resin my rock water slide yesterday. Then my granite guy added a new granite patio BBQ surround, and install the last bathroom granite with a custom mounted sink. Of course, it was up to me to install the drains and water supply, so I was on my back for 3 hours and didn't get done until nearly 11PM last night.

Allergies to pets must really suck. I have dog hair and cat hair all over my clothes all the time. But the affection and amusement I get from the pets is totally worth it to me. Right now I have my old sick dog and the newest dog in my room and 2 of my cats are flanking me. The old dog is panting and whimpering but I don't know what is wrong. She already peed, she just had food and water, and she's able to get up if she wants. I hope she's not in pain.

A waterslide sounds awesome! I'd love to see pictures of the setup. Yikes! Three hours on your back like that must not have been pleasant. I hope your back is doing ok.

I think all of the lifting I've been doing with the sick dog is starting to re-build my back muscles a bit. I've really gotten out of shape.

Latest posts

Back