What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working on an old laptop with Vista. About have it done. Reset it back to factory. Then let it do 82 updates. Installed Office and Avast. Looking for an adware. Superantispyware won't install on it. Actually runs pretty fast now.

I installed carpet...
Did I ever tell you I hate carpet?
#carpetsucks

Join the crowd/ I stopped aftyer softbac came out. Just couldn't take it plus the garbage tackstrip at that time and never looked back. I was charging 7 bucks a sq yd and these guys in town were doing it for $3.50. Local rate just recently went up to $4.25. Still a shortage of worthy carpet installers. Non one here is Certified by CFI thats actually installing carpet I know of.

Last edited:
If I had it to do over again, I would get something other than carpet. It's a total pain to clean.

I went to Alexandria again to go grocery shopping (was hoping the walmart there would have more food option). Found some chicken stir fry for Mom to try. My brother got his hair cut while I picked up a new kitchen timer (cats broke the other one by flinging it on the floor multiple times) for 88cents. I was looking at Electronics section at some of the All-In-One computers. Too pricey though.

Mom wanted food from Taco Bell (and she seemed surprised it was cold by the time we got home- it's an hour drive). I got a quesadilla that was supposed to have steak in it. They cut it into 4 pieces. Only 1 piece had what passes for steak. My mother was supposed to have a steak chalupa supreme but she said it was hamburger meat instead of steak.

I picked up a tray to raise her monitor up so there is room underneath it for some of her junk and so the bottom of her screen doesn't get covered by the junk on her desk. I almost had it cleared away enough to set it up when she came in and wanted to sit there. I'll have to go through her junk with her to weed out trash & maybe find places to put some of her stuff.

I want to get her to read my e-mail I sent her on shower option stuff. I've mentioned we want to tear out the old tubshower combo & put in a shower. She wants a slidebar & she recently seemed interested in a picture she saw of one with two showerheads. I found some ones where the slidebar & stationary showerhead screw on to the shower arm & the diverter is at the bottom of the bar. They do not require drilling & are not terribly expensive. The one I think she might like is the Sarlai brand one with a rainshower, although she might like the Lordear or Aqua-- something brand. The control lever would be directly below the slidebar and I was thinking a small 16" horizontal grab bar with shelf could be under that. There will be a longer grab bar (24" to 36") horizontally along the back wall (which would be to her left) and there would be a 24" vertical grab bar at the front of the shower for her to grab as she's stepping in.

Join the crowd/ I stopped aftyer softbac came out. Just couldn't take it plus the garbage tackstrip at that time and never looked back. I was charging 7 bucks a sq yd and these guys in town were doing it for $3.50. Local rate just recently went up to $4.25. Still a shortage of worthy carpet installers. Non one here is Certified here by CFI thats actually installing carpet I know of.
Close as I came to messing with CFI was when it first started. You watched a video, sent Walker a check and you were certified.

Join the crowd/ I stopped aftyer softbac came out. Just couldn't take it plus the garbage tackstrip at that time and never looked back. I was charging 7 bucks a sq yd and these guys in town were doing it for $3.50. Local rate just recently went up to $4.25. Still a shortage of worthy carpet installers. Non one here is Certified here by CFI thats actually installing carpet I know of.
How long ago were you charging $7 ?

Got a bit of a setback this week on my plans to renovate the living room. Spent $1000 on tires. Not really too big of a deal. I knew it was coming. But it’s a 4Runner with 20 inch tires.

Then, Sunday night I realized that while watching A Star is Born, I had turned the volume on the tv to 100 and still had problems hearing the dialogue. This kind of broke the camels back. Got to get this fixed. I get $1800 from insurance but the cost is probably going to be double that.

I am still doing the renovation. It’s just gonna be pushed back a few months.

Life goes on...

Got a bit of a setback this week on my plans to renovate the living room. Spent $1000 on tires. Not really too big of a deal. I knew it was coming. But it’s a 4Runner with 20 inch tires.

Then, Sunday night I realized that while watching A Star is Born, I had turned the volume on the tv to 100 and still had problems hearing the dialogue. This kind of broke the camels back. Got to get this fixed. I get $1800 from insurance but the cost is probably going to be double that.

I am still doing the renovation. It’s just gonna be pushed back a few months.

Life goes on...
Bought this house a year ago. Have done maybe half of what I expected to get done.

Mine does. They have, or at least the 77 had a funky plastic pocket molded into the rear end of the engine cover . Sawed it off flush and all is well. The pocket was only good for holding a note pad which you could drench by spilling coffee or a Coke into it.

In the 70s-80s, Ford vans were 12' 3 " , Chevy was 11' 10" and Dodge was 11' 8". without alteration.. That is why most installers used Ford. Some guys put a floor a foot tall in them, so the carpet would be high enough to fit, and slid the tools and supplies under. I had grocery rollers in one of mine. The bad part about the Fords were the distance between the seats was not far enough to put a roll between.

Bought this house a year ago. Have done maybe half of what I expected to get done.
One thing in my favor. I just paid off my car. And they provide an interest free loan. I get $1800 from our PA employees trust fund. Leaving perhaps $3000 balance. So I can afford it and slowly build up enough funds to continue renovating. I think!

Latest posts

Back