What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't feel bad, Highup. We replaced our TV bc we thought it had gone out but the coaxial cable had detached from the back of the receiver. The receiver requires a stepstool to access so it's not like we can see it easily though.

I've always been impressed with gymnastics and wish I could have participated but I've never been flexible or very coordinated. I just don't have the right build for it.

It went from 42 degrees the other day to being over 70 today. Since the humidity was high it felt hotter. The power went out & it fried my brother's APC that his computer is plugged in to. Seems to have fried an LED bulb in the bathroom as well. I was just about to cook something when it happened. So we went to the Mexican restaurant in town. Then we went to visit my best friend & watched his fiance trying to play GTA5. We finally went back home after 10pm & stuff was back on again.

My newest project. That is a reflection on the side, not dents. 94 E 150 , 302, 4 speed auto w overdrive $1400. .
023.JPG
024.JPG

I hope your grandson enjoys the flooring trade. It's always nice when young people are interested in construction/trades. There is so much of a push these days to eschew jobs like that. Modern society doesn't have as much appreciation for the trades, IMO. People don't realize just how much skill/knowledge/learning is involved.

Nice looking van!

I cleaned for 2 hours this morning bc Dish sent a technician out to replace our receivers & check the cables. My mother set it up when they called her & she misconstrued some of the stuff they said so I thought it was scammers calling again (they did it before in the past). I googled some of the details she gave me about the call & it had red flags so I was certain it was a scam & contacted CS from Dish to let them know. This morning the technician called to confirm it was legit & he really was coming out in two hours. I asked him if he'd ever been to a hoarder house & he said "yes" and that it wasn't a problem. Said he went to one house that had a dozen or so ducks living in one of the rooms. Since the pet odors are bad & I still need to get it all cleaned up and steam clean the carpet, I gave him a mask to block the odors. He told me the place wasn't so bad & that he'd gone to much much worse- said he had a house that 3 other technicians refused to enter when they first saw it. But his mother has a farm & 80 cows so he is used to being around stuff like that. The cow came to see him while he was checking the wires at the dish. One of my cats climbed all over his work truck & I had to stop her from climbing in the truck window.

Fortunately, he was able to get to the primary receiver without problem. My room has too much stuff in the path so you have to climb across the bed to get to the receiver so I handled putting on the tester & then removing it & the old receiver and plugging up the new receiver. The auxiliary ones are so much smaller than the original receiver. If I didn't have cats, I could set the little box on top of my TV instead of on a shelf.

While I was commenting about how the cats like to knock stuff down, one of the cats ran across the room, jumped up, & slid across the counter & knocked a bunch of stuff on the floor.

Anyway, the new setup is nice and we actually get HD quality now (old receiver had HD channels but didn't actually have HD capabilities). We have the Hopper & DVR now too. The new remotes are much smaller & we will have to acclimate to them. We still get PBS & most of our old channels. Only one I think we are missing is 204 (which I think was a weather station). The tech said we can run Netflix through the Dish thing now if we use the internet. The remote can be voice command but it will use our internet. He said the only way the internet would be used by the new setup is if we told it to use it. When he mentioned voice command for the remote I said "Oh, the wiretap" and he laughed.

Only other thing I achieved today was passing a kidney stone early this morning. Stupid thing made itself known all the way down. Its a relief to have it gone though.

Our car insurance just jacked up the price an additional $800/yr. Time to find out if we can get a different insurance. There was no explanation given for the price hike & they are getting reimbursed for the 1 claim bc of the other driver. I would say we could talk to them at the local office but they are pretty much useless there. I'm wondering if we can get the AA or whatever it is called that was for military. My mother has a military benefits card & my father was a war veteran & served in the reserves for almost 30 years, but we never had insurance with them.

But, I'm happy about the new Dish setup (and even happier that it wasn't a scam).

I hope your grandson enjoys the flooring trade. It's always nice when young people are interested in construction/trades. There is so much of a push these days to eschew jobs like that. Modern society doesn't have as much appreciation for the trades, IMO. People don't realize just how much skill/knowledge/learning is involved.

Nice looking van!

I cleaned for 2 hours this morning bc Dish sent a technician out to replace our receivers & check the cables. My mother set it up when they called her & she misconstrued some of the stuff they said so I thought it was scammers calling again (they did it before in the past). I googled some of the details she gave me about the call & it had red flags so I was certain it was a scam & contacted CS from Dish to let them know. This morning the technician called to confirm it was legit & he really was coming out in two hours. I asked him if he'd ever been to a hoarder house & he said "yes" and that it wasn't a problem. Said he went to one house that had a dozen or so ducks living in one of the rooms. Since the pet odors are bad & I still need to get it all cleaned up and steam clean the carpet, I gave him a mask to block the odors. He told me the place wasn't so bad & that he'd gone to much much worse- said he had a house that 3 other technicians refused to enter when they first saw it. But his mother has a farm & 80 cows so he is used to being around stuff like that. The cow came to see him while he was checking the wires at the dish. One of my cats climbed all over his work truck & I had to stop her from climbing in the truck window.

Fortunately, he was able to get to the primary receiver without problem. My room has too much stuff in the path so you have to climb across the bed to get to the receiver so I handled putting on the tester & then removing it & the old receiver and plugging up the new receiver. The auxiliary ones are so much smaller than the original receiver. If I didn't have cats, I could set the little box on top of my TV instead of on a shelf.

While I was commenting about how the cats like to knock stuff down, one of the cats ran across the room, jumped up, & slid across the counter & knocked a bunch of stuff on the floor.

Anyway, the new setup is nice and we actually get HD quality now (old receiver had HD channels but didn't actually have HD capabilities). We have the Hopper & DVR now too. The new remotes are much smaller & we will have to acclimate to them. We still get PBS & most of our old channels. Only one I think we are missing is 204 (which I think was a weather station). The tech said we can run Netflix through the Dish thing now if we use the internet. The remote can be voice command but it will use our internet. He said the only way the internet would be used by the new setup is if we told it to use it. When he mentioned voice command for the remote I said "Oh, the wiretap" and he laughed.

Only other thing I achieved today was passing a kidney stone early this morning. Stupid thing made itself known all the way down. Its a relief to have it gone though.

Our car insurance just jacked up the price an additional $800/yr. Time to find out if we can get a different insurance. There was no explanation given for the price hike & they are getting reimbursed for the 1 claim bc of the other driver. I would say we could talk to them at the local office but they are pretty much useless there. I'm wondering if we can get the AA or whatever it is called that was for military. My mother has a military benefits card & my father was a war veteran & served in the reserves for almost 30 years, but we never had insurance with them.

But, I'm happy about the new Dish setup (and even happier that it wasn't a scam).
Insurance is not bad here. I put just liability on that van at $30 a month.

I forgot to comment on the cute little piggy pot. It really is cool. My pottery never turned out that smooth or nice.

Insurance costs here are horrid. I wish it was that cheap, but we get more than liability & it's come in handy in the past. I hope they don't raise my brother's insurance too. He can't really afford it if they do (since it's one of the few things he pays for).

20190310_144111.jpg
I watched it rain all day again. Setting records here in southern Arizona. Reminds me of when I was a kid. The runoff from all the snow we got two weeks ago was going strong yesterday at the Rillito wash. I used to play down there as a kid. People used to kayak down the wash.
I hope this is a turn around from the global warming.

Last edited:
Global warming caused all that snow. :D
We're trying to see the light of spring. Finally going to be getting out of the low 30's. Day time highs have actually broken 50 a number of times in the past couple of weeks. I'm getting tired of damp and cold this winter. It's below normal. Here we call that global cooling.
Hey maybe between the two of us, it's just average. ;)

View attachment 9171 I watched it rain all day again. Setting records here in southern Arizona. Reminds me of when I was a kid. The runoff from all the snow we got two weeks ago was going strong yesterday at the Rillito wash. I used to play down there as a kid. People used to kayak down the wash.
I hope this is a turn around from the global warming.
We are getting it now. Roads that have not flooded since 1993 are flooding.

I just talked to Dish Network fraud department. Even though we got the new receivers, it turns out Mom got scammed. When I called billing to confirm the upgrade fee they said "There is no upgrade fee, you qualified for free installation" and said the monthly bill was higher than what Mom had been told on the phone. They said that Dish will NEVER just call people like that.

I was transferred to the fraud department & explained what happened & discussed some of the vulnerabilities in the system & what should be done to prevent more customers from being scammed. I also alerted Mom & after I got off the phone, she called Discover to report the fraud-- the fraudsters already got paid though & they are giving her trouble bc she didn't remember things correctly.

If I hadn't talked to what I thought was Dish on Twitter, I would have been certain this was a scam from the start, but what happened was I couldn't get logged in to my dish account so I went to the official verified Twitter for dish. It linked to @DISH_Answers for customer service. I didn't notice when I clicked the link that it redirected to @dish_answers. Now, on Twitter, the capitalization matters in getting the correct handle/url. Many scammers fool people by having one letter either lowercase or uppercase to make it slightly different from a verified account. Anyway, they tricked me into thinking I was talking to an actual Dish rep & sent me a DM. They then got me to give them enough info that they were able to login to the account. They contacted Dish & set up a technician to come out so that it would seem legit when they demanded $. Fraud Dept said they usually just get people's info & then get the CC# but since we wouldn't give it in Twitter or over the phone prior to the install, they had to set up an installer to convince us. The Twitter account gave me a phone # to call for verification to claim it was legit. I found a legit Dish # on the official website & called to find out if that phone # was legit-- it was not.

Mom gets confused so she didn't convey the information accurately to Discover & they told her to call them back Saturday to update (bc the fraudsters said an installer was coming out Saturday). Next time I'm going to be next to her to explain what happened to Discover though. I personally think she should suspend that card & get a new one though.

So, that was frustrating. I wanted to post a warning on FB to people but it seems to be having issues & I can't load it.

I'm thinking of starting a thread in the tech section here to warn people about this scam. I need to gather all the #s and file a fraud complaint with the FBI next.

I just talked to Dish Network fraud department. Even though we got the new receivers, it turns out Mom got scammed. When I called billing to confirm the upgrade fee they said "There is no upgrade fee, you qualified for free installation" and said the monthly bill was higher than what Mom had been told on the phone. They said that Dish will NEVER just call people like that.

I was transferred to the fraud department & explained what happened & discussed some of the vulnerabilities in the system & what should be done to prevent more customers from being scammed. I also alerted Mom & after I got off the phone, she called Discover to report the fraud-- the fraudsters already got paid though & they are giving her trouble bc she didn't remember things correctly.

If I hadn't talked to what I thought was Dish on Twitter, I would have been certain this was a scam from the start, but what happened was I couldn't get logged in to my dish account so I went to the official verified Twitter for dish. It linked to @DISH_Answers for customer service. I didn't notice when I clicked the link that it redirected to @dish_answers. Now, on Twitter, the capitalization matters in getting the correct handle/url. Many scammers fool people by having one letter either lowercase or uppercase to make it slightly different from a verified account. Anyway, they tricked me into thinking I was talking to an actual Dish rep & sent me a DM. They then got me to give them enough info that they were able to login to the account. They contacted Dish & set up a technician to come out so that it would seem legit when they demanded $. Fraud Dept said they usually just get people's info & then get the CC# but since we wouldn't give it in Twitter or over the phone prior to the install, they had to set up an installer to convince us. The Twitter account gave me a phone # to call for verification to claim it was legit. I found a legit Dish # on the official website & called to find out if that phone # was legit-- it was not.

Mom gets confused so she didn't convey the information accurately to Discover & they told her to call them back Saturday to update (bc the fraudsters said an installer was coming out Saturday). Next time I'm going to be next to her to explain what happened to Discover though. I personally think she should suspend that card & get a new one though.

So, that was frustrating. I wanted to post a warning on FB to people but it seems to be having issues & I can't load it.

I'm thinking of starting a thread in the tech section here to warn people about this scam. I need to gather all the #s and file a fraud complaint with the FBI next.
Facebook has been a mess all day. You would think he could spend some of his billions to fix it.

Latest posts

Back