What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highup, I think sticking to your price is the right thing-- especially since they are appreciative & you never gave them the high number. That looks like a nightmare to stretch. I had no idea that stretching carpet could be that complicated. That sun room looks awesome though.

I'm still feeling tired & am trying to motivate myself to get up & clean.
It's just a living room. Top of the hill in the center of the city. Best view in the city. I'll try to take a couple of crappy images of the views tomorrow.
What makes rooms like this a nightmare to stretch isn't really the size so much as the shape. Carpet likes being stretched at right angles. This room only has wrong angles. :D
When stretching at angles carpets can behave badly and become distorted. The concern I had was when you stretch one side at an angle, then stretch the other side towards that same angle...............
you hope they don't create a huge wrinkle where those points converge. They didn't because I have super human abilities. :D
...and a bit of luck. ;)

Got the steps done and I'm outa there.
Going back on Wednesday to assist moving furniture back into the room............ maybe even the Steinway.
That and get paid plus get a fillet of fresh tuna. I left tonight with some home made spaghetti sauce. Really nice people.
She was surprised the seam showed. I was really happy with it and think it looks pretty darn good. I explained the facts of life with a 43 foot seam and 60 feet of windows. She's OK with it now. Probably take some time for the pile to equalize. Seemed to have a slight angle on one side of the roll. From the north end of the room the seam is virtually invisible. I showed her that. Furniture will fix everything, plus a few months of walking on it and letting it relax a bit more.

Attachments

• Looking North434-00 550.jpg
    Looking North434-00 550.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Looking SE434-01 550.jpg
    Looking SE434-01 550.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Face on overhang steps731-00 550.jpg
    Face on overhang steps731-00 550.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 31
  • Steps and hearth731-02 550.jpg
    Steps and hearth731-02 550.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 35
It's a beautiful view!
Carpet job looks great. I didn't see any seams. I'm glad the client understood the issues & that they gave you food. We usually gave fresh fruit & stuff to people who came over to work at our place (when something was available). We belatedly gave watermelons to the guy who installed the flooring in our house. He's retired from the carpet business now & drives the school bus.

Rusty, I'm glad you're ok but sad your truck got smashed. Pay attention to any aches & pains you might have after bc sometimes it doesn't manifest right away. I know how that goes. My back has never been the same after that wreck a few years ago. Hopefully you won't have any problems though. It's too bad you can't get the other driver's insurance to pay for the cost of getting a replacement vehicle.

I was sick most of the day & went to the store briefly. I called my friend to let him know I might need to reschedule when he comes out to work on the floor & he said that worked out bc he has to take his fiance to the doctor tomorrow. That gives me more time for recovery & cleaning. My back has been a total biyatch the last few days.

Thanks guys. It beat me stress wise and physically. I' so used to doing small stuff and repairs. Karastan product (not woven). Has a high/low loop and there's no pattern. It says random. There are dark and light rows so you have to trim light and dark........ they say. I'll Get a photo from the leftovers.

That carpet sounds like a nightmare.

I'm trying to get over the nausea & do something productive. I'm also trying to figure out if there's any info I can get to help my cousin out. She was awarded the house in the divorce but her a-hole ex is refusing to turn over/sign off on the deed so she can't sell the house (which she's supposed to do per the divorce agreement). He's also not paying child support & refuses to get a job. He emptied their joint bank account & put it all in a separate account under his name & used it to funnel $ to his mistress & she was left to support the family for the last several months of their marriage bc he got himself fired. Assets were supposed to be split 50/50 w/ her getting primary custody & awarded child support, but he's being a bum. She had to support him for the first several years of their marriage bc he wouldn't work. So, she's left being the responsible one again. I wonder if she can file to have his name removed from the deed & get a new one or something if he's refusing & he's also a violent prick who shouldn't be allowed to have firearms but he does so there's a chance that he might hurt/kill her if he gets pissed off-- and he's already angry that she got half in the divorce.

My $ is tied up in a CD right now & I'm waiting for my brother to resume paying me back for the truck loan.

Tom, I'm not sure I'm understanding about the sound & postponing the renovation- do you mean the acoustics in the room are bad or that you need a new TV/speakers or something? Or are you having hearing problems?

I got another letter from the other driver's insurance company asking me to call. I called multiple times & got answering machine every time. So I went to the Safeway agent in town & explained the situation to her. She managed to get in touch with the agent who I needed to talk with and let me give a statement about what happened. I explained I still have more damage to take care of so the whole claim is not finalized yet. Both agents were very nice & I hope I won't have any problems getting reimbursed. Safeway would have to be full of crap to say their driver was not completely at fault.

Meanwhile, I got Mom to look at my links for shower stuff. She wants me to order the surround (although she thought the price was steep, but she saw the prices of similar things and realized it was cheap in comparison). She liked the 16" Moen grab bar with a shelf-- which could go underneath or above the shower controls so she could put stuff on it and be able to grab the bar when standing up. Still plan to have a horizontal bar along the back wall of the shower (which will be to her left) and the vertical bar just in the entryway of the shower. We were looking at the off-brand slidebar options when I discovered that Moen *does* make a version where the slidebar attaches to the shower arm. It has a fixed showerhead & a handheld that is on the slidebar. Moen's website lists it as being over $270. Amazon & Lowes had it for over $180, but Menards had it on a special sale for $99.99 w/ free shipping. Only problem (that I realized after Mom ordered it) was that the diverter is behind the fixed showerhead instead of lower down where she can reach it while sitting. Worst case scenario she can let me know when she's showering & call me over to help her with the diverter. She's not too worried about it bc she's ok with keeping the fixed one off while she uses the handheld. At least the Moen one has a lifetime warranty.

Despite our water heater being less than 5' from the shower, it takes several minutes for the water to get hot. I recommended that she can sit on the shower seat, hold the handheld so it is pointing away from her, turn the water on & wait for it to heat up, and then put the handheld back on the slider.

I also picked up some hay with molasses mixed in for the cows & drove it down to the barn. There is still some hay left from the large bale that was brought over, but it's spread out all over the ground. I gave a loud "Moooooo" to the cows to let them know I was bringing food so they came running. Bales were wrapped in plastic and the horned cow was accidentally poking me in the side with her horn while I was cutting open the bag on a 2nd bale for her daughter. They were both pretty happy.

I made another cake in the pressure cooker & it turned out better this time. I was able to frost it without it falling apart. I had to use a plastic butter knife though. It looks weird but it tastes fine.

I turned up the volume to max on the movie and couldn't pick out the dialog from the music or background noise in the movie. I had the hearing test done and I have 40% word recognition accuracy at 80 db and 50% at 85 db. So I need hearing aids. But I have the $1800 coming back to me and that should cover paint costs and clearing the credit card. I have to hire someone to do the foyer down the steps since the ceiling at the front door is 16 feet. In fact, if the price is right I might hire someone to paint the entire thing. I have a couple good sources.

Just had a plumber come in and fix my water softener: $280 to find a 1/2 inch plastic gear was missing. Ugg! But the water softener, which I thought was bad, is actually a very good model and only 2 years old. Glad I didn't need to spend $2000 on a new one.

I've got a plan. I just have to be a little patient.

I think we paint in May. I may have the guts to paint myself. It's just that it's 400+ square feet of ceiling and 800 sq feet of walls/2 coats. That doesn't include the stairs. Lot of work for one person. And since I'm not a pro I have to mask everything. Sounds like too much for one guy who's 5'2" with one step ladder. It will definitely be green though. Teak stained wood trim around windows, doors and on baseboard. Should look nice. Then next year will be Coretec probably. Lots of plans. Not enough money...

@zannej , you can have his ass thrown in jail. There are lawyers that specialize in this field of law. Many do pro bono work. Or your county does it.

Tom, I hope the hearing aids will help. Still a pain in the butt. I have noticed that some movies set the noise/music louder than the talking by design & I need subtitles to hear what people are saying.

Rusty, that makes me so sad, but I hope nobody was hurt. If that is your work truck, you may be able to get compensation for lost work to help offset some of the costs. I know how much it sucks to have other drivers being idiots. It's so frustrating!

Ernesto, other friends have suggested that but her ex blew his top bc she didn't face all of his shirts the same way when she hung them up in the closet after washing, drying, & ironing them for him. After he lost his job & she was supporting the family, he started punching holes in walls, throwing things, breaking appliances, & getting verbally abusive. He came very close to hitting her and did actually assault her (without throwing punches) by trapping her in the laundry room & pinning her to the dryer while screaming in her face until her sons came in to help. She thinks the only reason he didn't throw a punch was so she wouldn't be awarded more $ in the divorce. He wanted shared custody but he no-showed on picking their youngest daughter up to & from school multiple times. He's a selfish creepy jerk & I've always gotten the feeling that one day he'd snap & kill people. I thought that if my cousin ever tried to divorce him that he might kill her & the kids. She actually agreed with that assessment. So, what I'm saying in a long rambling way is that if she tried to get him thrown in jail, he would probably kill her when he got out. She could get restraining orders if she wanted but he wouldn't care. He technically shouldn't be allowed to own guns bc he has a conviction for a violent crime in the past.

I actually got off my ass & cleaned up my bathroom floor. Old Captain Fluffy had left some complaints in there & some of it had gotten under the sheet vinyl (I found that out when I pulled it back). The underlayment seemed to have blocked it from going any further though so it just wiped away easily. There is a stubborn red stain from a red paintbrush that sat on the floor but it's in a spot where I will put a bath mat so I'm not too concerned. I swept, mopped, & vacuumed although some dirt still stuck to my shoes & remained, but it's clean enough for now. I'll go back and clean the vinyl a bit more thoroughly later. When I removed some painting tape it pulled some of wood paneling off several inches up the wall. Baseboard won't cover it so I'll have to put some wainscoting over it. The good news is that somehow the self-leveling isn't as sharp & pronounced as I remember. Maybe I did a better job at the sanding than I'd thought or maybe it just dulled over time. It might not need too much grinding & then I can use some fresh leveling stuff to get it flat & smooth. Once it dries I can use the doublesided acrylic tape to secure the sheet vinyl (after getting it adjusted a bit more to eliminate some gaps).

Since the glue-up panels for the shower surround are falling off, I'm thinking of going with a Delta Classic 400 direct-t0-stud surround & replacing the ugly outdated shower controls with a Delta Lahara thermostatic kit with Delta MultiChoice valve. I was going to go with Moen Kingsley but it's a lot more expensive. I want to get the toilet in soon. I'd love to have the whole bathroom fixed up by the time my sister visits in April.

My mother and I were watching the news earlier & they had something about Jussie Smollett & the mayor from Chicago came on TV & ranted. I don't remember anything else he said but when he said "How *dare* him!" My mother and I both shouted "HE! It's How dare *he*!" I know I should have some sort of feelings about what happened, but honestly, I was more bothered/concerned with the bad grammar. LOL. It irked me.

Last edited:
I turned up the volume to max on the movie and couldn't pick out the dialog from the music or background noise in the movie. I had the hearing test done and I have 40% word recognition accuracy at 80 db and 50% at 85 db. So I need hearing aids
Tom I'm a hearing aide suffer. For me they don't do much for watching Tv. Can't understand the voices. I even switched sound sytems twice. Have a Sony sound bar with rear speakers now and thinking of getting their wireless headphones next to see if that will help. But like was said the background music is louder than the voices. Certain voices I don't do well to bigin with, both my granddaughters I can hardly understand.

Latest posts

Back