What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daris, it's too bad they can't or haven't engineered hearing aids to isolate voices.
Nick, isn't that annoying? I hate when they don't do the sound mixing right & music/sounds are so loud but voices are low. I think on some audio/tv setups you can adjust it, but it's a pain. I've had a hard time hearing people speaking for years. My left ear is worse than my right. My mother keeps getting mad at me bc she tries to talk to me with her back turned to me while the TV is on full blast & I can't hear her. I keep explaining to her that unless I'm looking directly at her mouth, chances are I can't hear what she's saying. She also loves to try to talk to me when I'm leaving the room & her voice is drowned out by the spring on the door squeaking as it stretching open. She doesn't grasp that I just can't hear her. But, she's also guilty of just not listening. I will ask her things 10x & she'll sit there not responding. It's really aggravating when she asks me to cook something for her and the question I'm asking is what she wants to eat & she's just tuned me out & is looking at her nails. One day after asking her the same question 20x I got so aggravated I just left the room. Sometimes I have to shout at her and she's like "Why are you yelling?" I think she does have some hearing impairment though.

My brother told me he got someone in trouble at work yesterday. Someone had pushed the cart full of stuff that is supposed to be placed on the buffet into the cold room with the raw fish & stuff (which is a health code violation). He called one of the supervisors into the room to tell her to look & her reaction was "Oh HELL NO!" She then wrote up a report on it & said she needed to find out who was responsible. Whoever it was might get fired.

Tom I'm a hearing aide suffer. For me they don't do much for watching Tv. Can't understand the voices. I even switched sound sytems twice. Have a Sony sound bar with rear speakers now and thinking of getting their wireless headphones next to see if that will help. But like was said the background music is louder than the voices. Certain voices I don't do well to bigin with, both my granddaughters I can hardly understand.
I have the same problem and my brother's hearing is a lot worse.
...........maybe all of us have normal hearing? :eek:
TV shows with any music do have sound level issues, The background music is almost always louder than the singer or person talking.:mad: A lot of advertising has background music when music isn't needed. It distracts from the person talking.

The model is a Widex 220. The students I work with have soft voices and there's the faint hum of air conditioning overhead in the ceiling. I balked at the ones the originally wanted to sell me (Widex 440) at $7200 and cut the price by $2k by getting the lesser model 2 steps below. Much depends on the skill of the audiologist from what I understand. That's the real point of the purchase, hearing people in work so I can do my job. BTW, I have a pair of Hesh/Skullcandy over the ear, noise reduction headphones on blutooth that work great on the TV (Dish network). If I have problems hearing I can switch to them. The hearing aids supposedly can link directly via bluetooth. They can to the Iphone with an app for controlling them.

The cool thing is I put $500 down on them. I get $1800 back. Payments over 18 months on $4700 is $266/mo. interest free. So I get $1800 back. If I add that to some money I have saved up, I can get everything done. So there's paint first, then stairs (because the carpet looks like crap throughout the house) and it's on the stairs. Then flooring last. Still leaning towards Pergo rather than coretec. But it's too soon to choose there.

That's called selective hearing. It's a non medical term.
LOL! You beat me to it. My father used to joke that his hearing loss only affected the range of pitches that my mother's voice was in. He never had hearing aids, but he had things that looked like them to counteract his tinnitus.

Sometimes I wish I couldn't hear the phone. Got woken up twice early this morning with robo-calls. First one was claiming to be something about an insurance card & getting lower rates & press 3 to opt out from getting more calls. I've opted out 20+ times already. Next one started with "This is not a sales call" but I've listened to that one before & it's a sales call so I just hung up. Just got another robo-call that was a repeat of the first one this morning. Those things should be illegal. I put my number on the "do not call" list for a reason.

I didn't take my allergy medicine early enough so the post-nasal drip gave me a sour stomach. I'm waiting for it to clear. I still have a bit more cleaning to do in the bathroom (some spots I missed). I will need to gather all of the supplies & make sure I can find everything I need for tomorrow.

I changed the HVAC filter & used the new dustbuster to vacuum up residual fur/lint/fluff from the outside & inside of the vent panel.

Question: a red paintbrush (used to paint white paint) sat on the floor for a long time & left a red stain on the sheet vinyl- is there a way to get that stain out? It's not large & it will likely get covered by a bath mat, but it annoys me that it's there.

Out trying to switch the trailer hitch from the 85 to the 94. Those bolts on there for 34 years are a little tough to move
There's a product called Knockerloose, sold at NAPA stores that woks pretty good. Might be a Permatex product. Trying to tighten, then loosen can help a lot. ....so does rapid heating of the nut with a torch.
Impact wrench is the best. I don't have one either. :D
On smaller nuts and bolts, back and forth tightening then loosening might shake things loose instead of breaking a bolt.

Last edited:
My wife says I have 2 faults....
One is , I don’t listen to her....
The other is some shit she was rambling on about
I saw that in a meme , maybe it was here

Last edited:
Daris, it's too bad they can't or haven't engineered hearing aids to isolate voices.
Nick, isn't that annoying? I hate when they don't do the sound mixing right & music/sounds are so loud but voices are low. I think on some audio/tv setups you can adjust it, but it's a pain. I've had a hard time hearing people speaking for years. My left ear is worse than my right. My mother keeps getting mad at me bc she tries to talk to me with her back turned to me while the TV is on full blast & I can't hear her. I keep explaining to her that unless I'm looking directly at her mouth, chances are I can't hear what she's saying. She also loves to try to talk to me when I'm leaving the room & her voice is drowned out by the spring on the door squeaking as it stretching open. She doesn't grasp that I just can't hear her. But, she's also guilty of just not listening. I will ask her things 10x & she'll sit there not responding. It's really aggravating when she asks me to cook something for her and the question I'm asking is what she wants to eat & she's just tuned me out & is looking at her nails. One day after asking her the same question 20x I got so aggravated I just left the room. Sometimes I have to shout at her and she's like "Why are you yelling?" I think she does have some hearing impairment though.

My brother told me he got someone in trouble at work yesterday. Someone had pushed the cart full of stuff that is supposed to be placed on the buffet into the cold room with the raw fish & stuff (which is a health code violation). He called one of the supervisors into the room to tell her to look & her reaction was "Oh HELL NO!" She then wrote up a report on it & said she needed to find out who was responsible. Whoever it was might get fired.
I don't watch any new movies .. They are dark, fast action. no plot, and lets not forget the music ..

There are technologies that are on the way for hearing over background noise. Not sure how effective they are. Cheap hearing aids are coming but they are really just amplifiers. But this year they will be allowed to be called hearing aids. That might push down the prices a bit . Note that most of the price is for doctor visits over the typical 3 years.

Latest posts

Back