What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I wanted opinions. they have a 7 mm Acadia or Cherry that looks really good. I'm always concerned about the locking mechanism and the sound. Seeing what's under a small part of the floor I can already see they put down 1/4 inch plywood over the subfloor but left 1/4 inch gaps between the planks. I want to check flatness too. I'm guessing the center of the living room is low. Need to buy a long straight edge.

I'll probably go with Coretec or Armstrong Pryszm (sp).
So Coretec has two products with different wear layers,
12 mil wear layer + image + 1.5 mm PVC 20 mil wear layer + image + 1.0 mm PVC

Whats the LL ?

One guy I went to look at his job had some garbage from LL that had a 4 mil wear layer.

So Coretec has two products with different wear layers,
12 mil wear layer + image + 1.5 mm PVC 20 mil wear layer + image + 1.0 mm PVC

Whats the LL ?

One guy I went to look at his job had some garbage from LL that had a 4 mil wear layer.

I just checked the 7 mm Brazilian Koa Coreluxe ultra. The quote in the FAQ:

This product has a 28mil or 0.7mm wear layer. Thank you for your inquiry.

After all the bad news about LL, I wonder if they are trying to improve the quality of their products, ala the same thing that Harbor Freight is trying to do with their Hercules line. If anyone has proof that their higher end stuff is still junk, I'd love to see it.

I just checked the 7 mm Brazilian Koa Coreluxe ultra. The quote in the FAQ:

This product has a 28mil or 0.7mm wear layer. Thank you for your inquiry.

After all the bad news about LL, I wonder if they are trying to improve the quality of their products, ala the same thing that Harbor Freight is trying to do with their Hercules line. If anyone has proof that their higher end stuff is still junk, I'd love to see it.

For the record, I'm still going with Coretec at $4.59/sq. ft. It's less than a buck more per. For me that's $400 more than what LL would ask. Not worth it to me to cut that corner.

Better to look at what you can afford rather than per sq foot price. Salesman once told me, don't tell the customer the square yard price, just tell them the total price. If vinyl flooring in a room costs someone $800, they might think that the price was just fine. If you told them the price was $50 per square yard, they would balk at the price. If it's what you want, and the price works, then go for it. Coretec has a really good wear guarantee.
If you drop a large micowave on any flooring product it's gonna get damaged. Wear from walking on it is what the guarantee covers.

I understand what you're saying. I actually looked at the total price. the 5 inch planks from Coretec run me around $2000 for 400 sq. ft. For the 9x72 planks (Highland Oak), I'm looking at $3200. Over the lifetime of a floor, it seems worth it to me. And that's probably the route I am thinking of going with.

My current concern, which is 4-6 weeks away from a purchase, is whether my floor is flat enough. Won't know until I get carpet up and move furniture. And that's not possible until I'm done sanding and painting. the 9 inch wide planks may be a problem for me if my floors aren't flat enough. I see leveling compound in my future, LOL.

One thing Tom, when you get done, hang around. You will be a lot of help to others. Besides, you are a regular now.

Thanks. I try.

Taking week before Memorial Day off for painting and week after for camping at Cherry Springs State Park, Pa's Dark Sky Preserve. Big star party up there. Lots of telescopes and astronomy talks.

Soon as I can get help from a neighbor to take TV into back room, I'll assemble the scaffold and start sanding. Not the fun part of the job. Although it's probably a lot more fun that taking out all the staples in the floor. Might get the flat shovel for that though.

They lost the Hand Masker in shipping. But they already sent a new one, which I should see Friday. I have a lot of stained trim and it has to be protected from drips. At least I don't have to cut in baseboard.
I made a decision on color: Benjamin Moore, HC-28 Shelburne tan Matte for the walls. The ceiling will be white with a slightly yellow/cream undertone OC-110 Milky way. Funny, I'm an amateur astronomer.

Ordered some Charles Neil wood conditioner. Ordered a mix that makes 2 quarts. I have 30 pieces of wood to stain for the stairs and 80 feet of baseboard. Just one more joy to look forward to. Got some more baseboard off. Not much more left. Left the tack strips on at the door openings to avoid a tripping hazard, especially when I'm carrying paint buckets.

My baby. Kinda want to upgrade but got more important priorities.
20190423_111312.jpg

Been exhausted & busy last few days. Got to use the new Nu-Wave cooktop & it's nice. It has an on/off switch at the back so we don't have to worry about it getting turned on accidentally. It's not supposed to be placed on top of a stove, but we set it on top of our useless stove for now. I made beef stroganoff and my brother cooked some steaks for my mother's birthday (she turned 69 on the 21st). Still haven't gotten around to the floor bc I forgot to grab my tools last time I was at my friend's house (and he's been busy). His work changed his days off so he now shares one day off w/ my brother.
Weather has been rainy and cloudy and my kidney stones are being a pain. I stopped drinking tea & am now drinking mostly water to see if that helps.

The flooring discussion has been interesting. The flooring I got for my laundry room is 20mil wear layer- but the specs/info were uploaded after I purchased it & it says the flooring shouldn't sit under anything too heavy or stationary. The mfr said it might be ok if I use anti-vibration pads under the washer & dryer so the boards don't unlock from each other. Another alternative would be to put the planks around the washer & dryer on top of some spare vinyl sheet (and have one of those pans that goes under the washing machine to catch leaks/overflow & have a floor drain). I'm not sure how well those things work when the washing machine is on a pedestal though. Mom didn't like the idea of putting the planks around the washing machine. I suppose worst case is that if it has problems we can move the machines and remove the boards underneath & put in sheet vinyl just where the machines go.

I had never heard of a taper gauge before but now I'm looking it up. Looks cool.

Mom just paged me & wants me to make dinner.

Been exhausted & busy last few days. Got to use the new Nu-Wave cooktop & it's nice. ...

I had never heard of a taper gauge before but now I'm looking it up. Looks cool.

Mom just paged me & wants me to make dinner.

I got my taper gauge. It’s a lot smaller than you might think. I doubt it’s more than 6 in

Hey Ern the last time I saw one of those telescopes I was doing carpet for some big wigs in a high end sub. We looked through it and it was aimed at someones bathroom window across the lake. I wonder what they were watching. You do stuff like that with yours?
Absolutely Daris! It's a little difficult to get up on the roof for the good shots. I think Tom Picciani missed my pic cus I didn't quote him on his post where he said he was an amateur astronomer.

Somehow I missed the telescope picture. That is awesome!
Back in the 80s my father built a sort of pole barn with only one wall (the rest was just poles for support) with a ladder and a flat roof we could stand on with a telescope & look up at the stars. Never had a nice fancy one like that, but it was still cool.

Latest posts

Back