What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It don't have to be long .. it is for measuring the low spots under the level ..
Ohhh! That's how you use it. That could come in handy.

I went for a walk & noticed that the storm knocked my security light loose. Have to call the power company to fix it. During my walk, one of my cats kept running in front of me, lying down, and grabbing my shoes & kicking. Then her brother came up & started playing with her so they started running up trees instead. I saw a red cow out in the back field & started calling her, but she didn't lift her head & I realized she was in the neighbor's yard. When I walked back to the front my cows were there-- there's just a similar looking cow over in the neighbor's yard now. On my way back to the house, my monkey-like cat saw me and rushed over. He wanted to ride my shoulders so he jumped up on me & I carried him into the house & gave him treats. It was a little too warm for my tastes out there, but the breeze was nice. We're going to need to get a bunch of trees cut down soon though. They are growing like crazy & will start to block the satellite. I think it's been enough time that we can see if the timber company wants to come cut some down & pay us for the trees.

I also reconnected with a friend from Guam that I hadn't spoken with in at least 10years. I hadn't been able to find her because she got married & changed her surname.

I still need to get my tools back from my friend & work on my floor. Really need to stop procrastinating. I'm hoping he won't have something come up on Thursday (his next day off).

Much more exciting than my day.
Had to take mom to the eye doctor for the 10th time. Than buy her a new TV. Hope she can deal wit the remote. Thank God the cable guy is going to set it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been feeling sick at night & slept most of the day Thursday. Got up too late to work on the floor, but my friend asked to pick up some metal adjustable shelves we told him he could have. I picked him up along with another friend & drove them out. They unloaded some heavy stuff from my truck & put it in the house for me & then I drove them down to the workshop. The 3 of us got the shelves out & in to the truck. They tied them down & I drove them back to town & then helped my friend set them up in his kitchen. He wanted to put the microwave & air fryer on the most convenient shelf & was trying to figure out how to eyeball it. I pulled out the measuring tape & told him how much clearance he needed & then measured the distance. One of the shelves had to move 2" down. Got it all set up & put the coffee maker between the microwave & fryer. Power cord for the coffee maker doesn't reach the outlet so they will need a power strip. I checked at Walmart but all of their power strips only supported up to 15amps & the microwave will need 20. But, they can still plug the microwave in separately & use the power strip for the air fryer & coffee maker. Apparently the fiance didn't like the new setup bc she suddenly started sobbing uncontrollably (although, she's bipolar & will go from laughing one minute to crying the next). The shelves will only be in the kitchen temporarily. Once he gets his roof to stop leaking, he's going to fix up what used to be the kitchen & turn it into a pantry where the shelves will go. He will eventually put cabinets with countertop where the shelves are currently sitting.

After getting all that setup, we went to tackle mouse-proofing the computer. Well, all I really did was hold a flashlight.

My right arm is still having trouble- not sure how I pulled it, but it's not wanting to cooperate. I overslept today & still feel bleh. I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow. I picked up my drill & battery charger & just need to charge stuff & tackle the floor-- hopefully tomorrow. I need to stop procrastinating.

TV is out of living room. Only piece left is couch. A friend came over and helped me put it on dollies. All the outlet plates are off. They are 40 years old and yellowed. All of them will get replaced. Need to take off the vent covers and clean them.Going to plastic over the entry to the kitchen and assemble the scaffold. Going to hit all walls with 120. Hoping to have sanding done by end of week.

Tom, sounds like good progress. I hope you will take some pictures along the way.
My central AC isn't cooling for some reason so we may need to call Cotton (the AC guy) to come out. Need to clean up the house a bit if they are going to come inside though. The elderly dog made a huge mess all over the kitchen floor. I had cleaned up all of her messes last night but she got busy after that. She won't use puppy pads & just goes wherever she feels like. Not only did she crap all over the area rug & the kitchen floor, but she peed on top of it to turn it in to a goopy mess. & since it's about the same color as the rug I didn't see it & stepped in it. She also stepped in some of it and tracked it across the floor. If I try to pick it up when it's still goopy it just gets all over the place. I'm debating spraying the rug off outside & seeing if it can fit in the washing machine, but I'm more tempted to just get a new rug.

Since I've had some sort of stomach bug & haven't been up to doing much, I was playing around in Sketchup. I wanted to get the newest Pro version but I saw it's over $600 so I'll pass. If it ever goes down in price drastically I might consider it-- but only if I get free upgrades to newer versions. I'm a bit annoyed that they made it so that models made in newer versions are not backwards compatible with older versions. I still have the 2013 free version. Anyway, I decided to draw cabinets in the mockup of my laundry room to get an idea of what would look good & what size cabinets I would need. They don't quite make them in the right sizes to get exactly what I want (unless I custom ordered). I wanted three 24"W cabinets to cover the 72" area but they don't make one short enough to go over the window in that width. So, I decided that would be a good spot for a shelf & a closet rod- which do come in 24". I also did mockups to see what sort of end cabinet to do on the right edge. I tried with just a basic wall cabinet but also looked at what a corner cabinet would look like. I prefer the basic wall cabinets bc the corner one made the room look smaller & would probably get in the way. I was comparing the cabinets on Lowes to the ones at Surplus Warehouse & found that the ones at SW look like they have wood on the sides so they look better. The ones from Lowes (unfinished Project Source brand) have particle board on the sides & would require additional end panels. Even with military discount, the ones from SW were cheaper. I hope they are still available when I actually get around to that part.

I need to focus on my bathroom though. I need to stop worrying about messing it up & just do it. I walked on it to see how much I could notice the bumps-- I can barely notice them now, but can still notice them so I hope that smoothing them out will work. I'm hoping to work on it tomorrow. I need to stop procrastinating.

Put the scaffold up. Used a 9 inch sanding pad to get started. 120 grit. I did a 4 foot section across the 16 foot wide room. Only had to move 2x. You can see the sanding disk on the scaffold. Didn’t have enough time to do more. But I’ve started!

I think the scaffold will make cutting in a lot quicker since I won’t have to move so much.

FYI, I did wear a dust mask. Also covered kitchen entrance with plastic.

And I turned off the fan on the heat pump so the dust wouldn’t clog that $50 filter!

Attachments

• 388F23D5-4C70-4A7F-A8BE-68FF683B603E.jpeg
    388F23D5-4C70-4A7F-A8BE-68FF683B603E.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 26
Putting up the scaffold would have been all day for me.:)
This is a pro source bakers scaffold. Carrying it upstairs took longer than setting it up. Each piece is 20-30 lbs. the platform is a little heavier. The platform is the toughest carry. Under the plywood is a steel frame. But I’m 5’2” and I took it upstairs without hitting the walls. $169 delivered. Walmart.

Well, I had an interesting evening. Went to hang out with a friend & see about printing something from Mom's computer before bringing it home. But the computer had a disk read error. back to square one. I have a spare hard drive & hope she can retrieve her data. Hoping the mainboard is ok.

We went to Pizza Hut to see old friends and hang out. Long story short, a new employee misheard something my brother said (no clue what he thought he said but he flipped out) & dude started wanting to fight my brother. He kept coming over to our table saying he wanted a fight. At one point the guy came out with a knife threatening to cut us- but he didn't even know how to hold the knife properly & my bro & I were laughing.

Someone called the cops (no idea who) bc they rolled up & the guy chilled. He had a much different tune when they came in & we could see he was terrified we were going to have him arrested. Dude apologized, we told the cops it was a misunderstanding (dude was no threat-- when he was wanting someone to step outside to fight him, I stood up & went outside & he literally ran away from me). We finished eating & he was calmer & said it was all cool, although he did try to save face by insisting that he *would* have stabbed someone. LOL.

It was rather amusing. Downside was my friend's fiance was terrified & our friend (who was in charge of the floor that night) was so upset she was crying.

I've never posted a Yelp review, but I'm not sure quite how to rate it. How does one rate the experience of an employee bluffing with a knife? LOL.

Latest posts

Back