What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 547 didn't want to budge on my floor when I used the additive. Had to use a damn angle grinder to get the bumps down bc I used an old lumpy mix & didn't do the right measurement ratio. Without the additive it has sort of a chalky finish, which doesn't bother me since it's going under stuff.
The stuff I mentioned was the 549 which is called FeatherFinish but you have to level it yourself.
For self-leveling, the Henry 555 seems to be what they recommend.

Fortunately I have a friend who has used the stuff before. He’s coming Friday. We can look at floor then
Excellent! Hopefully it will turn out great. I'm still relieved & happy that 547 do-over went as well-- but key was small batch & non-expired mix. LOL. Still debating whether or not I should go with a feather-finish topcoat, but I'll wait and see how it turns out and if it telegraphs through the sheet vinyl (which is fairly thick sheet vinyl).

Sure is quiet on here today.
'cause I'm not here stirrin' the pot. :D
Computers are screwin with me. Old favorite one with XP wasn't working, so I've been using the one a client gave me............. Vista powered Dell. :( It started misbehaving, so I swapped the Vista HD into the computer that has XP.......................... and it came to life. Well good until it started messing up because it started trying to find a driver for the modem....................................... It was working, so why was it looking?
So I put the XP HD back into the case and it started working again. Then it stopped again........................ problem it has is it will not load up the desktop after I type in the password. I can try restarting it 2 or 50 times. once in a while it works.
.........................so I put the Vista back in and now it's working again. Works on Chrome, but not well on Firefox.
My HP notebook stopped dialing a connection so I couldn't use it either.
I gave it a total refresh today. Since it's a '15 model and they stopped servicing my W10 version in '17, maybe and hopefully, I can't upgrade. Last time it updated to a newer version it ate up 1/2 my tiny 32 GB HD. So far, it didn't update (said none was available) I have 1/2 the HD space still usable now even adding Avast Chrome and Firefox and a few more things.
How come they can't make a computer that you can just use? :rolleyes:
I'd be here harrassing Ern and Nick, but my computers won't let me. :D

The built-in obsolescence is one of my pet peeves with modern tech. Dell got caught having a killswitch on their older machines that caused Windows to stop running properly/slow down once the warranty was up. We found it on my brother's computer and managed to disable it, but it still caused a lot of problems before we fixed it. I will never buy another Dell after my experiences with them.

Got a thunderstorm going on right now & my toothless ginger cat is climbing all over me wanting to cuddle. Right now he's peddling his feet on my arms & hands making it hard to type.

I ran out of allergy medicine so my nose is stuffed up & I'm slightly nauseous but I'm trying to get up and be productive.

'cause I'm not here stirrin' the pot. :D
Computers are screwin with me. Old favorite one with XP wasn't working, so I've been using the one a client gave me............. Vista powered Dell. :( It started misbehaving, so I swapped the Vista HD into the computer that has XP.......................... and it came to life. Well good until it started messing up because it started trying to find a driver for the modem....................................... It was working, so why was it looking?
So I put the XP HD back into the case and it started working again. Then it stopped again........................ problem it has is it will not load up the desktop after I type in the password. I can try restarting it 2 or 50 times. once in a while it works.
.........................so I put the Vista back in and now it's working again. Works on Chrome, but not well on Firefox.
My HP notebook stopped dialing a connection so I couldn't use it either.
I gave it a total refresh today. Since it's a '15 model and they stopped servicing my W10 version in '17, maybe and hopefully, I can't upgrade. Last time it updated to a newer version it ate up 1/2 my tiny 32 GB HD. So far, it didn't update (said none was available) I have 1/2 the HD space still usable now even adding Avast Chrome and Firefox and a few more things.
How come they can't make a computer that you can just use? :rolleyes:
I'd be here harrassing Ern and Nick, but my computers won't let me. :D

I’m a Help Desk guy. 29 years in the business. I just use what is current. Windows 10 is supposed to be the last version of Windows. From now on the name stays the same and you get updates for free. So if you buy a new computer, it’s probably going to last at least 5-7 years.

The 13 year old XP PC is what I like the best. I hate the layout of the system and how you locate them.
.......and I want rotary dial to come back too. W 10 just continually morphs into another version instead of changing the name. My laptop/notebook has a 32 GB HD. How come Microsoft and HP did something that stupid? It's just a soldered in flash drive. For $2 more they could have installed at least a 64. The operating system takes up 1/2 the drive before any updates.
Windows unstoppable updates and improvements will probably end up consuming 28 GB like the first time I reset the computer to the factory settings.
My issues are financial Tom. I also have a Canon film scanner. It needs my XP. Vista isn't compatible with it and the laptop would be useless even if it was compatible because the screen quality isn't so hot, and 14 inches is so small.

Last edited:
We got up to 90 degrees here on the coast today. We should be closer to 60 this time of year. Humidity dropped to 14% Me no likey. :oops:
Our highs for the past week have been 60 to 63............ and now at 10 pm it's down to 63.

I’m a Help Desk guy. 29 years in the business. I just use what is current. Windows 10 is supposed to be the last version of Windows. From now on the name stays the same and you get updates for free. So if you buy a new computer, it’s probably going to last at least 5-7 years.
I hate W10. Most of the people I know hate it. W7 was a much better system. As far as free upgrades, remember Office had those for years and now they charge.

Took almost an hour to wrench, smash, pound out a freeze plug in the van tonight. Been dreading installing a new one because it's behind the exhaust pipe/exhaust manifold flange........... so it's out, now all I gotta do is tap in the new plug. Hope to have it done in less than six hours and 10 trips to the parts store. :rolleyes: Not so bad with the engine on the bench.
The plug didn't quite make it to 300,000 miles. Maybe I should have gotten the extended warranty :D

Highup, Sometimes you can run a program in "compatibility mode" to get something that runs on XP to run on later versions of windows but it doesn't always work. I was pissed bc I bought Photoshop 7.0 & it ran fine on XP but won't run on later versions even in compatibility mode (even though the description for photoshop 7 says it will run on later versions). That was why I got Win7 Ultimate. I wish I could go to Win7 Home w/o having to uninstall & reinstall everything. Thus far 10 seems to be a huge problem. My brother upgraded to it from either 7 or 8 & now it's telling him it's not genuine even though the version he updated from *was* genuine & he downloaded 10 from Microsoft when it was still free to upgrade. It did the same thing to my mother- claiming her version is not genuine after it ninja updated to 10 from win8 w/o her permission/knowledge.

What would your budget be for upgrades if you absolutely had to replace your computer? Maybe we can help you pick a good replacement. There are laptops more powerful than the computer you've described. I really liked XP because it seemed more stable & took up less space than later Windows but it can be a pain to find things. WinME absolutely sucked & so did Vista.

There was a massive thunderstorm that took out a bunch of transformers the other night. My power was out from 2:30am to after 7pm. My brother had his computer plugged in to a brand new APC but now his wired ethernet card is not detecting the cable (I have a post on that in the tech section). His DVD drive is no longer reading discs so he can't install software. I'm going to have to find a way to clone/copy data from the DVDs to a thumb drive to see if I can get them working for him. I'm hoping I can figure out why his DVD drive won't read- but again, that's in the tech thread I posted.

During the power outage my best friend invited us over to his house to hang out & watch Netflix. Brought him a roll of good paper towels bc he has the worst paper towels I've ever seen. Also brought Mom's little chiweenie dog, Fippy, along with some puppy pads. He gets along with their little dog Callie because she's the only dog he's ever met that is smaller than him (she's a yorkiepoo). My brother had already gone over to the friend's house to nap bc he couldn't sleep at our house without the fans on. Friend let him sleep in his bed. I briefly thought maybe the fiance wouldn't like that but then I remembered she's slept in my bed while over at my house before so she doesn't have a problem with people sleeping in their bed. We briefly went to the Mexican restaurant in town then back to friend's house to watch Netflix for a few more hours before heading home. The road had been terrible on the ride to town. River was flowing across it & I would have gone into a ditch if there hadn't been a marker for the road edge where the road curved bc it was all water. Someone in a smaller vehicle watched as I drove over the water to see if I made it & then decided to try it after I got past the water. On the way back home the water had drained a bit so it wasn't as bad. But I need to get my inner fender replaced. The guy from the body shop didn't secure the inner fender properly so it kept getting rubbed by the wheel & it rubbed a hole in it so now water can splash up in there. I tried putting flex tape over it, but there was too much dirt on it for it to stay. I'll have to clean the dirt off better & try again later before taking it up to the dealership to see about getting it replaced.

I managed to hurt my arm again when I slipped & almost fell while trying to find something for my mother that had fallen off the side of her bed. She has so much stuff piled up in her room that I can't walk around to the other side of the bed. I have to climb onto her side of the bed and lean over all the crap she has piled up on it to try to reach over but I have to do it without knocking more stuff over & it's a pain. I think I get my nesting habits from her-- I pile stuff up around me like I'm in a nest. LOL. To be fair, I can't get to the other side of my bed either. I still have boxes & other stuff I need to go through.

Rusty, congrats to your granddaughter! Maybe someday we'll see her in the Olympics.

Meanwhile, the thunderstorms seem to be hanging out in my area. My friend messaged me after he got to work to tell me the rain was so bad he couldn't see & that he saw another car get hit with lightning. He's asked me to drive him somewhere Tuesday early in the morning- I'm just hoping it won't be flooded. It's so flooded my landline has been out for days. And AT&T's website is such a pain in the keester it took me 30 min to get it to process a repair request. First it was being stupid about my login info. Then it insisted that I *had* receive a code in a text message to login (would not let me login without it) so I had to go outside, turn my phone on, set it on the porch (only place it can get signal- only 1 bar-- if I turn it on before I go outside it goes into emergency calls only mode & won't let me get/make texts or calls & I can't send or receive texts via wifi). Then I had to go back inside all the way across the house back to my room & pc, tell it to send the text (bc otherwise my phone won't get the text if it was sent before), then go all the way back outside to get my phone and then back to read the code. Then the website was stuck in loading mode for 10min. If I had another landline service other than AT&T in my area I'd seriously consider switching. AT&T is the only service that actually reaches my area even though other services claim they cover it (but they don't have any towers within 30 miles & the AT&T one is 10miles away). Found out they aren't giving us the 15% discount they were supposed to be giving when I checked the billing and found out we had to pay overage charges bc my brother went over our 2Gb limit a few times. It was $15 for 80mb over.

Latest posts

Back