What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by havasu, Aug 11, 2013.

Help Support Flooring Forum by donating:

1. May 12, 2019 #4841

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

Wow............ pinch yourself. :D
    That is so cool Rusty. Does that sorta thing qualify for a Go Fund Me thing?

zannej likes this.
  2. May 12, 2019 #4842

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

The 1st and 2nd different events?

zannej likes this.
  3. May 12, 2019 #4843

Floorist

Floorist

Floorist

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Pro

Yes, She got a 1st, a 2nd, and a 6th, out of about 300 who qualified for the regional.

zannej likes this.
  4. May 12, 2019 #4844

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

Mom has to be super happy today. That's really neat Rusty. Let her know she has fans here.

zannej likes this.
  5. May 12, 2019 #4845

zannej

zannej

zannej

Professional Pro

Vista is crappy, but I realize later versions might not have hardware/driver compatibility. I tried running Photoshop 7.0 on Windows 7 but it wouldn't work. I now have to use GIMP instead, but I miss the photoshop plugins. I tried compatibility mode & set to XP but it still wouldn't work. I think they just want people to have to buy newer versions.

Turns out my brother sucks at diagnosing things & it was his switch/hub that was bad. I managed to get his internet working again. Good thing I was looking around his computer bc he had some sort of wax melter/heater thingy for aromatherapy that was on the floor face down turned on & had slightly singed the carpet. I had to turn it off & unplug it. The cats couldn't have turned it on bc of the way the switch works so my brother must have forgotten to turn it off. We're lucky it didn't start a fire.

When I was over at my friend's house the other day, his fiance had a creepy guy over. Guy was going for sympathy claiming he had PTSD & that his aunt was dying in the hospital so the fiance was being extra nice to him & feeling sorry for him. My brother and I both got the sense he wanted to get into her pants but she's not the brightest bulb & can be too trusting. Yesterday he forced himself on her and then fled. She called the cops & had them take her to a hospital out of town. They haven't found the guy yet, but they better find him before my friend does. He's not from the area so he's probably long gone & the police around here suck.

6. May 16, 2019 #4846

Floorist

Floorist

Floorist

Watched a 4th grader pitch 3 innings of no-hit ball and strike out 4. My grandson was lucky, this pitcher was on his team.

7. May 16, 2019 #4847

Ernesto

Ernesto

Ernesto

Professional Pro

So much drama. You should write for Reader's Digest. lol

8. May 16, 2019 #4848

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

The people I worked for a couple weeks ago are the coolest. I did a restretch then and charged them $150. They wrote a check for $250
    Probably worth more than $150, but I thought it took linger than it should have.
    Well, yesterday and today my brother and put carpet in the living room............. 17 by 26ish. with a fireplace hearth and cabinets (and toe kicks) on the opposite wall.
    We had R&R and also moving an upright piano and misc chairs sofa, card table etc.
    I charged $530 for the carpet and $70 for furniture........ just to make a round number. About an hour of furniture for the 2 of us. So that's $600 for two days. We had 13 hours total including picking up the carpet. Job is 2 miles from home. They wrote a check for $700.
    I love people that can't write checks accurately. :D
    I've worker for this couple before. They have a kid a year ahead of me in high school. Probably the nicest, most down to earth people I have worked for. I'd say they are #1 in my long list of favorites. He's a retired lawyer, she's ..............just nice as anyone can be. Last time I worked for them the took me out for a nice dinner after I packed my tools away.
    Pinch me, somebody pinch me. :)
    He has written s couple local history books and they have donated to the construction of our local history museum. They grew up here and also went to school with my uncle back in the stone age............ :D They are all in their early 80's.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    zannej likes this.
  9. May 17, 2019 #4849

Tom Picciani

Tom Picciani

Tom Picciani

My carpenter came over. We had dinner at the local restaurant. Then he looked at the floor to see what he could do. He had built a supporting wall under the main beam last year. He said he was sure he could jack up the floor joists and put in a steel plate in a few key places to lift the floor 1/2 inch. The beam is roughly 4 feet from the kitchen wall so lifting it should not crack any drywall. Might be able to avoid using any self leveler. That might save me a ton of money.

zannej likes this.
  10. May 17, 2019 #4850

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

Sounds like a good plan.

zannej likes this.
  11. May 17, 2019 #4851

Floorist

Floorist

Floorist

Still taking a few classes. I have 61 hours and a 3.85 GPA.

zannej likes this.
  12. May 17, 2019 #4852

Tom Picciani

Tom Picciani

Tom Picciani

Ordered some samples of Coretec 5,7, and 9 inch wide planks from flooring in.com. They had Alexandria Oak which looks really nice. Carpetmart didn’t have that style.

Anyone know anything about them? They ship for free. I’m a little concerned about ordering vs picking up locally.

zannej likes this.
  13. May 17, 2019 #4853

Ernesto

Ernesto

Ernesto

Professional Pro

Like Franco used to say, if they tip you you ain't charging enough.

zannej likes this.
  14. May 17, 2019 #4854

Ernesto

Ernesto

Ernesto

Professional Pro

Most people don't know that many manufacturers do not want their product sold online by a 2nd or 3rd party. And they will not honor the warranty simply because the original purchaser is the only one they warranty for. So, if anything happens to the floor like a manufacturing issue or they sold you 2nds ,you have to go through them for a warranty claim.
    Believe me it's not worth the money your saving.

15. May 18, 2019 #4855

Tom Picciani

Tom Picciani

Tom Picciani

You are right. The price difference isn’t good enough to order online. I have 4 flooring vendors who I can go to with good reputations. But it’s nice to see all the varieties. I think the Alexandria oak that was missing might have been a web page error.

16. May 18, 2019 #4856

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

He's full of shitakie. People feeling they are being overcharged are gonna kiss and tell you out of business. I don't bill like it's a test of faith. My bill was double what the highest paying shop would have paid me.
    Had nothing on the road map the day after and since I noticed an unconnected vent hose leading to one of the floor vents when finishing the carpet, I told em I would come op the next day and reconnect it. I just needed to reach down, lift the hose and metal connector back up and into the metal vent base......... then somehow drive in 2 or 3 sheet metal screws into the inner and outer connectors. Maybe an hours work. I like these people. They are the downest to earth people you could ever know. A pleasure just to chat with them and learn more about the local history............ they know a lot.
    .............anyhow, back to the vent. Overnight I was thinking that I probably couldn't angle my drill anywhere near the needed 90 degree angle to drill in or drive the screws. (I used self tapping but drilled a 1/16th inch pilot anyway)
    3/4 mile past their home is a pawn shop, so I stopped in for kicks and giggles, and lo and behold, a pneumatic 90 degree drill Looked like new, no scratches or dings. They wanted $39.95 and I offered $35. I've always wanted a right angle even tho needing one was a rare event. It's a NAPA Professional 1800rpm with a 3/8 chuck.
    Half price from a new one. Pretty torquey too.
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NPT6787
    [​IMG]
    Aside from my venture to the pawn shop, it tool less than an hour to get the vent reconnected. I offered to do this, they didn't ask me to, so I wasn't gonna charge em. Had no work that day anyhow. He put $100 on the counter next to my coffee. I told him no, but he wasn't having any of that. :)

zannej and Don Monfils like this.
  17. May 20, 2019 #4857

Tom Picciani

Tom Picciani

Tom Picciani

Got my samples today. I like Alexandria Oak 9x72 planks. Second choice Highlands Oak. First is more red, second has more brown. Both look fine. Both are textured for dog's grip.

Alexandria Oak is not on the Carpetmart website. Going over there tomorrow morning to see what they have to offer. I cleared space next to the beam downstairs for my carpenter to jack up the floor and put in steel plates. If that puts things in spec, I'll be ready to purchase in 2 weeks. If not, I will need leveler, albeit a much smaller quantity. So I'd be looking at 4 weeks probably.

Stairwell is painted but needs one more coat on walls. Hope to get that tonight.

And I planted 3 bushes today.

It's 88 outside and I worked up quite a sweat.

Time for ice cream!

zannej likes this.
  18. May 21, 2019 #4858

Floorist

Floorist

Floorist

Sorry. Most of us are in shock. Nick passed away.

19. May 21, 2019 #4859

Tom Picciani

Tom Picciani

Tom Picciani

Sorry to hear that. Only been on this board for a few months. He gave me some good hints.

zannej likes this.
  20. May 21, 2019 #4860

highup

highup

highup

Professional Pro

I did a 27 by 34 "bonus room"above a new garage about 10 years ago. Customer wanted 4 different colors of wood placed randomly.
    All were Hickory, and one was brown, two were reddish and a blond which was used every here and there. Completed, it looked really nice. I got my first $500 tip from that job.................... hellooooow new Sony flat screen. :D

zannej likes this.