What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...........and other than complain like my previous rant, I put in 4 boxes of Coretec today in a 10 by 12 dining room. Had it's complexities, but I prevailed. Had 5 hours into it for $250. Only expenses were $5 to $8 in fuel. Not far from home.
I had an hour yesterday prepping and getting the first row fit................. no electricity yet :eek:
I had my table saw at another job 3 miles away, so I drove over there twice to make the long cuts on the first and last rows. End cuts snap really clean with a deep score from a utility knife......................... and no saw dust.
Tomorrow time to get moving on my 140 yard carpet job ...............on concrete. "barfing"
The owner is 89 years old and he just added a new rig to his collection. The 515hp Dodge pickup wasn't enough............ so he got a Dodge Super Bee. With the new Whipple twin blower and it's putting out 800 HP...... Now he just got a late 60's Dodge A100. Orange with Coke bottle mags and a blown 360. :nodding:
Wow, so funny. I was Googling images just to show you sort of what it looked like, but this is actually the one he bought
. It came from back east somewhere and it arrived on a transport a week or so ago, 100 miles away on interstate 5 on the west coast.
The fella told me yesterday that it sounds mean. ........nasty mean. I suppose if it has a blower and a carburetor, it's old school, so he isn't kidding. It's having a front end alignment and getting an overall checked out right now. I saw it last Sunday in his garage, but can't wait to hear this nasty Mopar running. Have no idea the HP. Guessing 400 to 500? Don't have a clue.
....what are you old geezers here going to be doing when you are 89?
15405013-1967-dodge-a100-thumb.jpg
I would love one of those. Have you seen the new electric VW van?

I Installed 250 sf of some shit LL laminate. Nice layout, done by 2pm including undercutting a few ft of brick.. Had them go get four more boxes because the milling was off the thickness of a credit card. Boo hoo, 5 franklins.

I Installed 250 sf of some shit LL laminate. Nice layout, done by 2pm including undercutting a few ft of brick.. Had them go get four more boxes because the milling was off the thickness of a credit card. Boo hoo, 5 franklins.
5? You charge hourly or minimums? ......or you charging $2 like everyone else?
Never seen a $350 day in my life. $300 once back in 1998 or so. I've never been able to do volume. I'm a nit picker................. probably should have applied at Elgin or Bugatti. :rolleyes: Never been cut out for this trade, but it's a bit late now.

Last edited:
Today was busy. I picked up my friend to help me with the phoneline. He opened the box & we plugged in a phone-- no dialtone. Went & got a second phone just in case. Dialtone-- so a new corded phone was apparently bad. Tethered new line to old line & tried to pull it through-- wouldn't budge. I climbed under the house (meeting many stickerbushes, sharp objects, spiders, etc along the way). Followed the line all the way back to the hole & found it shared a hole with an electrical line (that I couldn't pull out). The electrical line was inside PVC & the phoneline was next to it but was sealed in with what looked like tissues or cotton but it was so compacted it wouldn't come loose. We couldn't access it from the top bc it's under the bed so ended up deciding to just drill a new hole (bc the line wasn't long enough to wrap around the outside). I had to crawl in & out a few times bc of some issues. The old line actually broke off when I was pulling on it so we had to do a new line. My friend threaded the new line through the floor and I pulled on it and then tethered it to the old line when I realized I was too fat to fit through some of the spaces to get it all the way to the front-- there were waterlines, electrical, and defunct metal plumbing in the way. I did have to crawl around and move it over and around some things that it snagged on, but then I got my friend to go to the front & pull it-- unfortunately we didn't think to have him tie a knot in the end so the new line came out. I had to crawl out to tell him & then go back under and push the wire back up-- but the carpet was getting in the way. Eventually he managed to see the end and pulled it up. I decided to see if I could fit out from under the edge bc I was right next to the exterior wall-- instead of crawling back to my entry point. I had to lie on my back and drag myself. Fortunately, I'm at the age where if I'm on my back my "ballons" fall into my armpits so they were out of the way. My friend had opened the window and could hear me grunting and muttering about being too fat-- he looked out and shouted "PUSH! PUSH!" so I started laughing while trying to drag myself out. I grabbed the edge of the house to get some leverage and made it out-- flattening a bunch of weeds in the process. My friend also used the machete to annihilate some of the weeds in the front.

Then we tested the inside line-- no dial tone. Turns out the new jack I bought was defective-- or at least not assembled properly. My friend has better vision & saw that one of the internal wires was never connected properly to begin with. So he fixed it & then we ran the line to the surge protector but it seems it is fried & wouldn't work (or maybe one of the lines going to it was messed up-- not sure) but it had to be taken out of the connection so it's now wired to the phone instead. But it works. I'm going to have to get a new surge protector bc I'd rather have to replace a surge protector or jack than get a new phone again. That thing was expensive to replace.

My friend had already changed the wheels of a truck & removed a tree from someone's roof before he came out. He was exhausted & sore & out of $ for food so I bought him, his fiance, & his daughter a bunch of food from Popeyes.

I ended up getting a chocolate shake after dropping him back off in town (and popping in to the hardware store to see if they had the surge protectors-- which they didn't-- but their huge yellow dog was there so I petted him for awhile before heading to pick up my prescriptions at Walmart). I'm exhausted & sore but happy that we got the job done & can now make phonecalls.

While I was under the house I took a look at the floor. I didn't see the OSB my father used to patch the floor but I did see a small cutout of plywood so now I wonder if he used plywood topped with OSB.

I wish I had a working bathtub right now bc I would just soak in the tub for a few hours if I could. Instead I had a cold shower bc the hot water is still not working in the shower. I need to do some laundry next but I'm too tired.

Dang your a brave girl. Lucky you didn't get a balloon job. Lol
Can't get me under those houses with crawlspace. Ever think about just running the line around the house?

Last edited:
I would love one of those. Have you seen the new electric VW van?
Not a lot of em around. He said they made em for 4 years. It's a 67.
Ferd and Chevy made em too I think.
If ya got 27 grand he probably wouldn't sell it. :D
Be a real head turner with a surfboard in the back. I don't think he surfs.

Dang your a brave girl. Lucky you didn't get a balloon job. Lol
Can't get me under those houses with crawlspace. Ever think about just running the line around the house?
LOL. Yeah. Sometimes I wish I were flat-chested bc it's a pain when my chest dips in my food or touches the wall when I'm reaching up high to paint something or just gets in the way when I'm trying to reach stuff. Although, my cats like the cushioning to sit on and when I was swimming it was nice having built-in floatation devices.

The line I bought wasn't long enough to go around the house & I didn't want to move the main phone to another spot so going under the house was necessary. I actually ran the original line 15+ years ago. I was in better shape & could squeeze through more spaces back then. But I did still get my butt stuck under a metal pipe & had my father laughing at me. Fortunately I was near the fireplace so I pushed my foot against the bricks to get loose. I used to play under the house a lot when I was a kid. It was great during summer because it was a nice cool area and I felt like I was exploring.

There are some issues I'm going to need to address - I'll need to fill in a lot of dirt in some spots so the structure of the house doesn't get undermined. The hole was dug to remove raw sewage that leaked out when the septic tank backed up, the toilet fell through the floor, and sewer lines broke.

Mom is paging & wanting food now.

LOL. Yeah. Sometimes I wish I were flat-chested bc it's a pain when my chest dips in my food or touches the wall when I'm reaching up high to paint something or just gets in the way when I'm trying to reach stuff. Although, my cats like the cushioning to sit on and when I was swimming it was nice having built-in floatation devices.

The line I bought wasn't long enough to go around the house & I didn't want to move the main phone to another spot so going under the house was necessary. I actually ran the original line 15+ years ago. I was in better shape & could squeeze through more spaces back then. But I did still get my butt stuck under a metal pipe & had my father laughing at me. Fortunately I was near the fireplace so I pushed my foot against the bricks to get loose. I used to play under the house a lot when I was a kid. It was great during summer because it was a nice cool area and I felt like I was exploring.

There are some issues I'm going to need to address - I'll need to fill in a lot of dirt in some spots so the structure of the house doesn't get undermined. The hole was dug to remove raw sewage that leaked out when the septic tank backed up, the toilet fell through the floor, and sewer lines broke.

Mom is paging & wanting food now.
I'm getting visions of things. :)

So far I haven't done anything but take my medicine today. My ribs hurt, hips hurt, arms hurt, & I'm tired. but I probably need to go to the store today to get more water. I'm waiting for my mother to get up so I can bring her with me since it's the store out-of-town. She needs the exercise.

With Hunter in the kennel I decided to lay the stairs. All done! Thanks for all the hints and help!

Attachments

• 3828E649-6F61-47BD-B2DE-381C8D98D690.jpeg
    3828E649-6F61-47BD-B2DE-381C8D98D690.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 35627922-EEC7-4E02-8A15-C5DE59983807.jpeg
    35627922-EEC7-4E02-8A15-C5DE59983807.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 1CA782A8-923A-4983-AE6F-C373AF00EAF0.jpeg
    1CA782A8-923A-4983-AE6F-C373AF00EAF0.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 51F38E4C-BDBC-444E-8E63-852E4D7E19AF.jpeg
    51F38E4C-BDBC-444E-8E63-852E4D7E19AF.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 25
When you need help, we're full of it. :D
From what we all saw about the way you did your work, did you really need us? You did better than most installers.
Very nice having you here, but feel free to keep checking in here......... Once you signed in here, you also checked into the Hotel California. It's in the fine print at the bottom of page 983 when your password was approved. ;)

Latest posts

Back