What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only get Hercules power tools. Chicago Electric is the one with the bad reputation. And for short term use, hf deserves a look at least. Their bar clamps, flashlights, batteries, etc. are fine. Just print your coupons.

That's good to know about the miter saw. I've never been to a HF store. I've heard the have flimsy/cheap and also better grades of tools.
It is a crapshoot. Some of the tools turn out to be worthwhile, some are junk. But I found the same with Grizzly and they cost a lot more. Bought a new scrollsaw from Grizzly once. It would not work out of the box. Only way they would give a refund is drive it to the warehouse, 200 miles round trip.

Only known photo of Highup in existence.
highup.PNG

Took my dog out this morning and spotted a mountain lion. I live in town. Saw it about a year ago too. Nearest open land with a little timber is a couple miles from here. It did not seem interested in us or the Dachshund who runs loose around here.

I've never see one. If he's not interested in a tiny dog, that's a good thing. The fact that it's comfortable near or in town does bother me. They are supposed to be avoiding us.

Last edited:
Sanding is done with the exception of a couple small spots. I’ll clean them up tomorrow.

Decided next step is to stain molding, which I’m picking up tomorrow. Pulling car out of garage to make room. At same time I’m pulling the miter saw, band saw, stationary belt sander, and small workbench out.

Ordered 4 gallons of eco-etch from amazon with a deck brush and a pair of rubber chem resistance boots. The product is a non toxic etch and cleaner. Once I so that I’ll paint the floor with Behr 1 part epoxy paint.

Then I’ll deal with priming and paint on walls. And then ceiling.

Then I’ll pay bills for the rest of my life...

More than I did today. Got to use my router table to edge some wood reducer trim for a job I did a couple weeks ago.
I also tested the split fence used as a jointer. It works excellent. Not sure how often I might need that function, but neat to know it's possible.

I scored a pair of identical dial indicators at a pawn shop last Friday. Not sure what I'd use em for. High quality stuff... $20

15898584367096206315869196742591.jpg
15898584367096206315869196742591.jpg
15898586054533514606147212688081.jpg

Attachments

• 15898585640465846317355167450650.jpg
    15898585640465846317355167450650.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 20
Tom, the room is looking great! I hope the drop ceiling isn't too difficult to install.
Highup, love the router guide table thing. I'm envious of the formica. Wish they still sold that pattern around here.

I finished touching up my friends' cabinets, puttied some pits, scrubbed the older cabinets down, & got a coat of poly on. I got the poly on most of them in one go. But my friend's fiance was bothered by the odor (I couldn't even smell it) & I realized when I got on the floor that I needed to cover some more areas with the stain. Rather than wait at their house for the stain to dry I called it a night & came back the next day to paint the lower corner cabinet and the side of the pantry. Stuff went on clear and smooth but we were all laughing about how it looked like ejaculate. One of the people staying there was just getting back from a food run & I showed the stuff to him & said "What does this look like?" and he called out to my friend "Damn, I knew you were desperate to get them covered, but that's taking it too far!" They are much smoother now & any spills wipe away much more easily. I really had to scrub to get some of the crud off the surface before. I was standing on a little stepstool for most of it but after I slipped my friend remembered there was a stepladder- which made things a lot easier. I couldn't figure out why I was so sore the next day but my friend reminded me I did a lot of stretching & reaching & that I nearly fell a few times. Ceiling fan almost got my head so I had him turn it off. The fan just barely clears the top of the pantry door when it opens so it worked out well.

Friend had to go back to work (company signed him back up to work for them without his signature or permission but he doesn't want to be unemployed so he went back) yesterday. He wasn't supposed to have to go in until Thursday but they changed their minds. They were going to have him work Monday but realized it was too short notice. So Tuesday I took his fiance to a doctor's appointment & kept her company for a few hours & discussed more options for the kitchen.

Their current stove can't be used anymore as it's a hazard. Oven turns on if you turn on a burner, oven turns on by itself randomly & can't be turned off, burners randomly turn themselves on & don't have indicators so someone got burned on one. They are going with a GE 6.3cuft model from HomeDepot and will get a splash guard (single panel stainless steel backsplash 24x30) to go behind it. There's a magnetic metal shelf that can sit on top of the raised up part of the range to hold stuff and they are thinking of doing a stainless panel on the side wall too. Magnetic spice racks can be hung up there. They are hoping to get a magnetic paper towel holder for the side of the fridge. I need to bring my Dremel tool over to trim the shims under the cabinets so the toekicks can be set in and marked for cutting & then I can stain them & poly them.

After talking to his fiance & showing her pictures, she decided that she would prefer oil rubbed bronze hardware for the doors and drawers since stainless steel sort of blends in but the orb. ones pop. Found some 10 packs for under $12. They need 26 handles.

Design dilemma now is what to do for a backsplash on the longer walls & what to use as trim for the gap between the pantry & the countertop. Right now we have rope caulk jammed in it, but it doesn't dry or harden & the color isn't great. Need to find something better that will go with the "labarador granite" pattern.
sidecabinets4.jpg
sinkcabfinished.jpg

Spent last 2 days sanding and pretreating casing and some door jamb material with Charles Neil’s Blotch control. Of course I’m running out and had to order more. I have my garage filled with all the stuff from the basement half of the downstairs. So I don’t have room to do all the trim in one batch.

struggling with drywall dust. Vacuumed a couple times. Bought some sweeping compound. Going to damp mop walls after brushing them down more.

shoulders feel like I have a knife sticking in between my shoulder blades. Need to take a break!

I'm glad my computer doesn't have autocorrect.
Thus far today I played on my computer & cooked stroganoff. Ate too much the past couple of days & have some gas buildup. Keep burping up what tastes like hard-boiled eggs but I haven't eaten any eggs the past week.

Latest posts

Back