What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ain't gunna happen...

From NFL MVP to Super Bowl MVP, Patrick Mahomes has assumed a number of titles, but now it appears he'll have a less flattering one: victim of circumstance.

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues with no obvious end in sight, the NFL could be dealing with financial issues in the coming year. On the My Sports Update Football Podcast, NFL insider Adam Schefter said one possibility could spell trouble for top players like Mahomes.

Schefter said that teams are concerned that if the pandemic continues long enough, games will need to be played without a crowd. That means substantially less revenue for teams, and the current collective bargaining agreement outlines how salary caps are set based on revenue. Schefter says that means the salary cap could take a $30 million to $80 million dip in 2021, which could affect contract negotiations in a significant way for the league's top players.
I don't think Mahomes is going to be affected by it to much. Just read this:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...over-dollar427-million/ar-BB16p2iy?li=BBnb7Kz

I got my mother to listen to Misty Mountains Cold featuring Tim Foust & my mother started looking up related songs & more stuff with that singer which led to videos that had singers with similar voices. Ended up finding a group called Voiceplay that sings a capella versions of songs. I never saw the Nightmare Before Christmas because I was overseas when it came out & I never made an effort to look for it when I got back so I had to watch the original song afterward, but this version is very cool.

Phone speakers don't do it justice. The main singer hit a subharmonic E1 in the last note. It sounds so cool.

Took Mom to drop off her ballot (they are now allowing people to hand deliver ballots to the registrar bc the mail system is slow). Main voting is on the 11th. I missed early voting so I'll have to go find the voting place that is out in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully there will be fewer people. We hit HomeDepot afterward to pick up an in-store pickup item. While there I asked about some items that were shown as delivered to the store but said they wouldn't be ready until August. Turns out they had it in a box (after it was re-ordered bc the first order got lost) so they handed it to me. But the item I came to pick up was lost now. There were a pair of things that were supposed to arrive & only one shipped. They had to cancel & re-order but this time it's being shipped to my house & the shipping fee is waived.

Mom mistakenly ninjad my new mask. My brother refused to look at the names on the packages when I asked him to & gave my package to her. She was all excited (thinking it was the one she ordered from Wish bc she didn't pay attention to the packaging). I said "That looks just like the one I ordered". I checked with USPS & they said they delivered the package (I thought maybe it had been lost). So I realized that the mask was the one I ordered. Going to order another one since she wore that one today. Stopped to get food & they said they would text us when ready. I haven't checked texts in a long time. Checked & there was a text from Mom's foot doctor about an appointment today. So we made it in time.

I also picked up some zip ties for my cat cube project. I got this storage thingy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KK6K3G8/
I'm using only some of the pieces to assemble it. It comes with some thin plastic stuff to serve as a smooth surface in the bottom of the cube but I felt it was too thin so I used the plastic as a template to cut one out of cardboard. I'm going to cover it with something (maybe the plastic) & then make a cushion out of some 1" foam & sherpa fabric. The inside walls of the cube will be lined with padded batting & some plush fabric. I may leave the top unupholstered & hand toys from the top. The zip ties will be used to secure the cube together & tether it to the upper left corner of the cat condo. The cushion will have some sort of ties to hold it in place so it won't fall out I'm trying to decide what to use for the ties. Maybe old scrap fabric from a ruined shirt or maybe some old shoelaces or something. I'm debating whether to sew the side padding on or just tie it on so it can be removed/washed. Or maybe I can use small metal snaps (which cats can't untie). I'm also trying to decide if I should pad/cover the outside. Maybe with something the kittens can sink their claws into for climbing. They liked the cube & wanted to climb up the wires when I temporarily set it in there to see how they reacted.

I wish I could find the canvas like fabric the used on older backpacks & on those cloth collapsible storage cubes. My cats love that texture. I want to use it to pad the bottom of the cube.

Any suggestions/ideas? I want to keep it inexpensive.

Finally got all the supplies together to make my kitty cube. I used the aforementioned metal wire modular kit but only used 1 cube (5 pieces). I used thick cardboard cut to fit in the bottom, wrapped it in a puppy pad, put it inside a plastic bag, sealed it up, put 1/4" foam padding over the top & added another puppy pad before upholstering it in felt. Outside of the cubby is felt. Inside is microfiber. I hand-sewed it bc my sewing machine wouldn't cooperate. I sewed 3 sides for each of the panels (felt sewn to microfiber). I had only secured the metal wire pieces at the bottom so I was able to slide the panels over (with 1/4" foam on the inner side for padding). Secured them at the bottom but left room for zip ties to secure the sides & back to the bottom more efficiently.
Poked holes for zip ties in higher parts & zip-tied on the top. Then I used plastic grid from a crappy "washable" HVAC filter that was garbage. I kept he plastic just in case though & it paid off. Hardest part of the entire project was cutting it. Jigsaw didnt' want to do it (wrong blade), Dremel was over at friend's house, Matrix ran out of battery & friend still has the charger. I ended up using wire strippers to make the plastic small enough to cut w/ scissors. I added the foam & taped it together. Was running low on felt so I used scraps to cover the front. Looks like Frankenstein's monster.
I only secured the front w/ 2 zip ties in the middle but sewed the rest of it on to the front by hand.
Got 1" foam for the kitty cushion. Upholstered one side in plush microfiber & the other in sherpa fleece. I added cheap shoelaces to tether it inside in case they get rowdy (although it fits very snugly). I hid the ties behind some of the fabric.
I just need to do some touch-up sewing & hang it up in their cage. Trying to figure out the best way to secure it so that if the cage ever needs to be taken apart, it still can be. I was going to use zip ties, but those are hard to remove & I need something sturdy but removable.

Wire pieces put together (sans top)
catcubbywirecrop.jpg

Upholstered with top attached
catcubbycubecrop.jpg

With front in place
catcubbyfrontcovered2crop.jpg

Cushion
catcushionblacksidecrop.jpg
catcushionwhitesidecrop.jpg

Finished cubby
catcubbyfinished1crop.jpg

Finished sheathing the hobby bench and glued the top together.

bought a couple toys: a Kreg pocket hole kit 330 (the $40 version. And I got the hidden hinge kit for the cabinets I’m going to build.

Might end up with a lot of 1/4 plywood and about 1/2 sheet of Mdf. Hate that stuff when I am cutting it. Dust everywhere

Attachments

• FE5CAB24-36B5-41A9-BC78-E2AF6F8EF4F1.jpeg
    FE5CAB24-36B5-41A9-BC78-E2AF6F8EF4F1.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 21
  • F9DBE1B5-80BE-4834-9449-FE348A1E4504.jpeg
    F9DBE1B5-80BE-4834-9449-FE348A1E4504.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back