What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought it when I thought I was going to retire and make stuff to sell. Then the economy tanked. Trump fixed it and now the virus has wood prices inflated.
I did a miniscule restretch for an older fella I first met in '95 when I first began working with my grandfather. Ken was a carpenter. Later years, he's turned into a woodworker. He has health issues, so it's hard for him even to walk the short distance to his shop. So sad, he's such a neat and tallented guy.
He had 3, flag presentation cases that he'd made testing on the couch. They were sorta, kinda like these. But quality times 10.
https://www.amazon.com/Display-Case...vtargid=pla-597890953564&psc=1&language=en_USHe sells his for $240 each. No comparison to Amazon's stuff.

The model you went back to is about the same size as the one I have down in the workshop-- but it's currently covered in stuff. Need to clean up and organize the workshop desperately. I also need to bug the guy who does roofing to come look at the workshop & give an estimate for having someone put new metal roofing on & repairing any wood rot. Probably would be expensive but better than losing the whole workshop.

Heat index is 100° but actual temp is 91. It's cloudy though so the clouds are cooling it off a bit.

Highup, don't feel bad, I'm a total wimp about the heat & humidity too. I won't even go outside today. Got overheated the past couple of days when I did go out.

Made 2 drawers with pocket hole jig. Then realized I put every screw in wrong side of wood. $40 more lumber... it’s 90+ here. Waiting for sunset to mow lawn. Putting off spraying pieces until more stuff built. My hobby desk must weigh 150 lbs. will need to use furniture dollys to push it outside. Don’t want to work in heat but might have to.
This is when wood filler/putty & those pens to draw woodgrain on come in handy. I'd just fill the holes with the putty,draw on a wood grain, and cover it w/ paint or stain.

Thus far my day has been uneventful. Got a low-grade headache & don't feel like doing anything or going anywhere. I'll be busy later in the week. Need to take my friend to look at a car that is for sale for parts. It's got all the parts his car needs and then some. Owner had just put new rims & tires on when she wrecked it. Motor looks like it might be ok. It's got the washer fluid resevoir & pump still intact (his is missing), motor, wiring harness, computer, doors, rims, tires, fancy gas cap, better doors, etc. He'll have to get it towed, but he's going to see if the motor will turn over at all before he buys it (if he can negotiate the price down).

I'm still trying to find a replacement sliding glass door unit since the one we have now has the glass separating from the frame. And I need to figure out what will kill the damn chicken/china tree growing from under the back steps. There are now 3 of them in the yard. They keep growing back when we cut them down. It's within 30ft of our water well so I am wary of using poisons, but may have to.

Buying Kreg jigs like they are going out of style (or stock to be more accurate). I’m one guy who can’t cut a straight line if you paid me. Bought the circular saw guide. Absolutely incredible. The saw cuts right on the edge of the sacrificial plastic edge each time. No more tear out because edge holds down wood fibers when cutting. It even has a starter block to line up saw before contacting wood. $80 for this 4 foot version. They make an XL version for 8 foot cuts.

only downside is track needs at least 1/2 inch plywood to cut without clamps. I ordered the hidden track clamps for $16. Needed for 1/4 plywood panels for doors and back of cabinets.

And as you can see, I used the pocket hole jig. It’s pretty cool too!
All the pop up storms are missing me. 96 with 48% humidity! Hotter than Florida and no beaches (or mercy)!

Attachments

• C3684629-B62C-4343-A6D9-3FC56FDFF223.jpeg
    C3684629-B62C-4343-A6D9-3FC56FDFF223.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 743D7B75-C620-4E22-BDF1-7C1C07CA153F.jpeg
    743D7B75-C620-4E22-BDF1-7C1C07CA153F.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 5DFC9C45-107A-458F-A1D0-D2D4692E34B8.jpeg
    5DFC9C45-107A-458F-A1D0-D2D4692E34B8.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 20
I've never used those pocket screws but then again I haven't found a need for them for work that I do.
That's our guide is Craig also?
I've never seen one like that or you can use your existing saw.
I've made my own out of quarter inch plywood. Does the same thing but it needs to be clamped.

The cool thing about the saw track is that there’s no guesswork or chance of going off the line and ruining the piece. Lumber is getting ridiculous right now. Around here there is No pressure treated lumber on the shelves. Not even the garbage they sell at the box stores!

The cool thing about the saw track is that there’s no guesswork or chance of going off the line and ruining the piece. Lumber is getting ridiculous right now. Around here there is No pressure treated lumber on the shelves. Not even the garbage they sell at the box stores!
I was trying to buy good 8' 1x12s. There are not even any bad ones and the price has gone nuts. Jumped from $14 to $26.

How about using 3/4 inch birch plywood rimmed with a 1x2 frame. Also look at the 2x4 foot 1/2 inchsheets of whiteboard plywood at $17 each.

Lowe’s sells something that looks like pine called whitewash at half the price as pine. 1x6 8 feet is $11. I used that instead of pine for most of my work.

Tom the jig to cut straight looks like a good idea. I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler (always seem to accidentally move the ruler). I really need to track down some of my dad's tools & see if he's got a handheld circular saw that's light enough for me to hold with one hand. My wrists have started giving me trouble-- particularly my left one. I almost dropped an 11" frying pan because my wrist started giving out on me when I was moving it. Had to grab with my other hand to help & I normally lift that thing with one hand without a problem.

I have noticed tool prices are going up. So is lumber. Lumber is about 3x more expensive than it was when I was looking up prices a couple years back. I get some inflation, but the amount of inflation has been insane.

I'm not a fan of pocket holes. Ana White (who has a very cool site complete with detailed plans) seems to love them. I really wish I had the right machinery to do mortise & tenon joints. I prefer the look and sturdiness of the older techniques, but pocket holes will work in a pinch. My issue is everything I've ever had with pocketholes came apart or got loose. (not stuff I made, stuff I bought).

I need to find a solution to keep the bolts on my toilet seat tight. I've been tightening them every couple weeks but this morning it was very loose, I realized the plastic part from the bottom that screws on had fallen off completely. So I had to find it and then screw it back on by feel. Kept starting to cross-thread it. Finally got it going properly and got it all tightened up. My bolts are metal but the nuts are plastic. Maybe I need longer bolts. I've also heard putting something around the bolts inside the holes to hold them steadier might help. I'll have to try that at some point if I can figure out what to put in there.

Upside: My friend no longer has wasps getting in to his house. I got him more Reflectix, reflectix tape, & some spray foam so he has his bathroom sealed up.

Took him to look at a car for parts yesterday but the ones he needed were broken. Over an hour long drive to get there but it was a nice scenic route & there were actual hills-- which I found fun but my friend was not thrilled about them. They are more fun when you're the driver & in control. They were baby hills compared to the ones I encountered in California so it amused me to watch him reacting to what was a very steep hill to him.

...actually 4. I graduated with the guy. He has a small Mill and will custom cut it. It, ...meaning whatever he has on hand. Fir or cedar usually but not pine, oak, walnut or exotics. I don't think he planes it, so it's all ruff stuff.

Latest posts

Back