What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to an old buddy today, Joe Pike or as he is known in his world "thevoiceitguy". He does commercials, voice overs, cartoon characters etc. If you have ever heard the Jack Daniels bbq sauce commercial that sounds like Sam Elliott, that is Joe. He was a roofer for years until he auditioned. You can find a bunch of his stuff on line
Thinking it pays better than his day job.

Just got back from camping trip. Let’s see, smoke obscured skies from Tuesday thru Thursday. Rainfly ripped in multiple places and tent too old and used to replace it. Broke USB port off small camera used for guiding. My friend lent me his. Friday skies were clear and I got started early to see how things were working. It was already dark when I realized the mount’s computer had a dead clock battery, screwing up the pointing.

By 11 I was almost ready to start shooting pictures. But it was now freezing and my feet were getting painful. I just couldn’t do it. I just shut it down. By morning it was 27 degrees and my legs were very cold. Had to stuff a fleece blanket in the bag.

Btw, my camera is warranted for life. Sending it to California next week. Buying a new 6 person tent next Spring.

I did get to see a few old friends and made a few new ones.

Take care

Went home to check animals today. Dogs had pulled their new food bag down and dumped it on the floor. They also dragged in trash from outside. Was filming the carnage in the kitchen and afterward the lights came on.
I'll have to screenshot some to get pics. They were very unhappy about us being out so much. Need to get it cleaned up enough that mom can walk through. Gonna sick but at least we have air now. Still at my friend's house right now.
Rusty, I think I found the weight you and your son lost. Lol.
Will post more later.

I'm back home trying to type with a fat cat sitting on me. Turns out I may have been quick to blame the dogs & cats. Fippy was barking in the kitchen. I looked out and saw two very fat raccoons. That explains the opened drawers, the rice being eaten, the instant grits being eaten etc.
Fridge & Freezer are full of larva. Will need to clean them out thoroughly but not sure if they can be salvaged.

Just got back from camping trip. Let’s see, smoke obscured skies from Tuesday thru Thursday. Rainfly ripped in multiple places and tent too old and used to replace it. Broke USB port off small camera used for guiding. My friend lent me his. Friday skies were clear and I got started early to see how things were working. It was already dark when I realized the mount’s computer had a dead clock battery, screwing up the pointing.

By 11 I was almost ready to start shooting pictures. But it was now freezing and my feet were getting painful. I just couldn’t do it. I just shut it down. By morning it was 27 degrees and my legs were very cold. Had to stuff a fleece blanket in the bag.

Btw, my camera is warranted for life. Sending it to California next week. Buying a new 6 person tent next Spring.

I did get to see a few old friends and made a few new ones.

Take care
.....a week to remember? Well, you got out of the house for a few days. In my photo excursion days, more than once I put a couple hundred miles on the truck and weather kept me from taking the camera out of the backpack. It was still fun for adventures sake.

I'm back home trying to type with a fat cat sitting on me. Turns out I may have been quick to blame the dogs & cats. Fippy was barking in the kitchen. I looked out and saw two very fat raccoons. That explains the opened drawers, the rice being eaten, the instant grits being eaten etc.
Fridge & Freezer are full of larva. Will need to clean them out thoroughly but not sure if they can be salvaged.
Raccoons..... If they want it they will find a way.
Glad your back home.

My Dyson stick vacuum died. Got 5+ years out of it. Also ordered new 55 inch smart tv. And picked up Hunter from kennel. He’s worn out and sleeping next to me. Glad he’s home!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 19
Spent the night in my bed with AC on & it was great-- although I couldn't move much bc of the cats. They find the AC a bit chilly & they missed me so they piled on. Some of them were touching my face and wanting me to look at them and pet them. When it was time to get up in the morning, they didn't want to get off of me and I couldn't muster the motivation to push them off (some of them climb right back on) so I slept in. In fairness, I'd been sick the night before & my stomach was still queasy. My brother called (not sure what time) to check on me & see if I'd cleaned up yet so Mom could come home. Not sure how much longer after that I got up. But I got to work sweeping up garbage. I got lazy bc I had trouble getting the trash bag to stay open to dump trash in so I opened the sliding glass door and started dumping stuff out. My friend had offered to come clean-- said we could get a shovel & just toss everything-- but I know he sometimes throws away stuff that is not trash so I declined. I went to wash my hands and discovered the water wasn't working. Checked the pump- jet pump was humming and cistern was empty. Piston pump won't kick on. I checked the breaker & saw some red. Called my friend & asked him to check it. He came out with my brother (they brought my brother's generator to unload into the shed). He flipped the breakers & pressed them in tighter. Red went away. My ceiling fan is dead though. Not sure if its a bad breaker not showing its bad or if it's the wiring or if it's the fan itself. It's over 30 years old though.
Anyway, I either need a new piston pump or a new motor for it. Damn thing was over $600 so I'm hoping I can find a motor or something less expensive and perhaps more efficient that will work with my current setup.
While my friend was unloading the generator I continued to clean. Found my mother's lost engagement ring. Had to throw out the kitchen rug bc it was saturated in grossness. I didn't get everything off the floor (left some stuff on the sides near the counters and didn't clear a path in front of the stove, microwave & sink since my mom only needs a path through the front room to the living room & to her bedroom). So I cleaned up through the front room, path through the kitchen, to her desk in the living room, and through the kitchen to the hall & the hallway to her room.
Put down some pet odor powder in some spots.
I will need to get in and clean the pantry more thoroughly and clean the entrance to the kitchen better (but need to replace the light bulb as I can't really see in there even in daylight).
I had planned on cleaning the fridge and freezer, but I needed water for that. I'd also wanted to wash a bunch of stuff off to put in bins or on shelves in the pantry, but no water for rinsing & lysol wipes alone don't cut it.
My brother was impressed with how much I cleaned. Mom didn't notice. Parquet floor is completely ruined. It very clearly warps up and if you step on it it goes down and warps up in another spot. Its no good as floor anymore, but I wonder if there are any pieces I can salvage to use in another project of some sort (yes, I'm a hoarder). They aren't good enough for a butcherblock table or anything, but I'm hoping I can find some use for them. I hate to just throw stuff out and not repurpose it.
Apparently the 2 raccoons got themselves trapped in the pantry earlier (according to my brother) but they are out now. I think they are trying to come back in because Princess is barking her head off. I suspect as the weather gets colder, they will continue to come in for warmth and food. If they didn't make a mess I wouldn't mind. They don't seem to fight with the cats & they haven't hurt the dogs.
At some point I'll post some before and after pics of the kitchen. I showed a video to my friend's fiance and she was shocked at how bad it was, but she noted how much better it looked after I cleaned- despite stuff sticking to the floor and not coming up. I'm seriously thinking of taking all the parquet up and having the plywood underneath exposed for awhile, but I don't know if that is a good idea. I know the floor under it needs some TLC and major cleaning. Vinyl sheet won't be any good. I'm thinking vinyl plank but it will have to be a watertight type that won't let water get under it. If it has to be glued down then I will absolutely have to get the plywood under it cleaned.
Anyway, here's a picture of the piston pump & its details. Not sure what parameters to use to find the replacement motor.
liftpump1.jpgmyliftpump2.jpg

Zan, I'd contact a motor manufacturer and give them the information. There are numbers on the motor that define the mount type, size, shaft type, diameter and maybe direction of rotation.
It says industrial and continuous. Those are important. You don't just want a 1hp motor that looks similar.
This explains the temperature rating.
https://www.ecmweb.com/content/article/20899136/the-hot-issue-of-motor-temperature-ratingsYours says FR (frame size)
56H
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nema-electrical-motor-frame-dimensions-d_1504.html

Last edited:
Zan, I'd contact a motor manufacturer and give them the information. There are numbers on the motor that define the mount type, size, shaft type, diameter and maybe direction of rotation.
It says industrial and continuous. Those are important. You don't just want a 1hp motor that looks similar.
This explains the temperature rating.
https://www.ecmweb.com/content/article/20899136/the-hot-issue-of-motor-temperature-ratingsYours says FR (frame size)
56H
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nema-electrical-motor-frame-dimensions-d_1504.html
You want to come and work on a motor for me. 1950s Craftsman band saw. Motor just hums (guess it doesn't know the words)

This motor looks pretty similar. https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-1-HP-Belt-Drive-Motor-24C182
Same frame size, hp, rpm, voltage etc.

Last night there was the battle of dogs & raccoons throughout the night. Raccoon got up er too. nter. Dog managed to get up on the counter too. Coons have been stealing cooking utensils (caught them dragging off a silicone spatula. Dog managed to knock a bunch of stuff I'd picked up right back down on the floor. she had the coon cornered at the kitchen window inside. I had to put the dog in the living room. I had just fed the cats. Bethesda (one of my cats) went to the sink to see if the faucet was working to get water (since their water is gone & I need to wash the containers and refill them but there's no running water). Coon growled and swatted at her. She got upset so she went and peed in a bowl of cat food. I went into the front room to feed the kittens. Heard the dog barking & found the coon eating the peed on cat food. It ran from me so I moved the bowl closer to the door so it would finish it off (since the cats won't touch it). I desperately need to do some dishes.

Had trouble waking myself up but got up around 9:20am. Went to Tractor Supply with my friend to find the float lever but they were out. Went to hardware store and found it. They said nearest place that sells pumps and motors is in DeRidder. Couldn't even find the full piston pumps online. Found motors though. Keywords "belt drive motor". I saw that the older pump that burned out before this one was still on the ground outside but I can't read the label (need to clean it).

Fiend changed the switch out for the float lever just in case (and tucked the wires properly so the cover could fit). No dice still. I saw that the junction box for the wires that feed the lights and pumps was getting rained on (bc the tin got pulled up, twisted, and was hanging down). I found something to push it up with and set the tin back in place but it's not secured. It is stopping rain from landing on the junction box though.

With the raccoon situation it seems I need to speed up the timeline and bump up priority of fixing the back door. The larger ones might not be able to get through (I hope). Might have to cover it for awhile and open my window to let the cats in and out.

We've entered phase 3 of the pandemic response & people aren't wearing masks anymore and there was a maskless guy walking through the parking lot coughing & not covering his mouth. So, I'm avoiding going out in public as long as possible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back