What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody interested in a free ride in a helicopter flight for 4 people?! I'm still looking for 2 more people to join us. We leave early Saturday (October 24th) morning from Warm Springs Ga , and will fly to St. Augustine Fl where we will have breakfast and then on a yacht for lunch.
Then we’ll do a flight along the coast to see The Jacksonville, FL port and returning to St Augustine for dinner, then fly back home.
If interested please pm me..
Preferably someone with a helicopter and yacht, otherwise we can't go.

Hey, my ballot was verified. Not going to get into politics on this board though.
Discovered some drywall damage on the wall near the front door. Must have hit it with something when I was carrying stuff down the stairs. I don’t think it’s water damage. Drywall isn’t soft and it’s only 6 inches long. I still have mud left and some corner stuff. Maybe this weekend. Home repairs never end!

Hey, my ballot was verified. Not going to get into politics on this board though.
Discovered some drywall damage on the wall near the front door. Must have hit it with something when I was carrying stuff down the stairs. I don’t think it’s water damage. Drywall isn’t soft and it’s only 6 inches long. I still have mud left and some corner stuff. Maybe this weekend. Home repairs never end!
How I treat people or whether I like them or not has zero affect when talking politics. Opposing views shouldn't affect friendships.
I wish all mail in ballots had to be requested, not sent automatically like here in Oregon.
That would do two things.
Ensure that voters are legit.
And it would also make (in my opinion), the informed voters, the people that really care for the voting. This would ensure that people make a small effort when voting. I think those people will make the best choices.

That said, since you are doing all of your work....... you can't blame drywall damage on anyone else. 😁

All I'm getting is the thing to verify I'm not a bot. Lol. Is that what it's supposed to be?
Yesterday some guys rolled up into my yard in an unmarked truck as I was leaving. I circled back to see who they were and they said they were from the power company to cut trees off of lines. I went back and made sure the house door was locked and headed in to get food for mom.
Today they put a new power pole up where the old one was broken. Still no power at our house so we are at my friend's place again. It's been fold enough at night to sleep at home at least.
I got up early, cleaned out the freezer again and gave it a thorought scrub. Put shelves back in after cleaning them. Cleaned out the fridge too. Cleaned the outside and cleaned the seals. Discovered I had missed a bag of blueberries in the freezer from before. It was in the top shelf on the door and I wasn't tall enough to see it. I climbed on top of the cooler to clean things up higher and found it.
I still have one more fridge to clean since we have 2 but we hadn't started using the other one again yet. I'd like to see if we can consolidate to one since my brother now has a small fridge in his room.
The door mount ice chopper will have to be washed when the water is back on because I need to spray it out. I made do with lysol, wipes, and paper towels for the rest.
I've been looking at the electrical in and around the sheds outside. Can't seem to figure out from where the power originates. There is a cable coming out the back of the generator shed that wraps around the side and to the junction box I replaced. From there a cable goes to a gfci outlet outside and then to a light. The junction box also splices a cable off to the pump shed. It goes to a regular outlet and to a junction box a few inches away which branches to the float switch which branches to the piston pump and jet pump. The junction also goes to another regular outlet.
I want to ditch the extra junction, run better new cables out and replace the old outlets with gfci.

Since going on insulin, all my neat cookie tricks are off limits. Like putting nilla wafers in a bowl and pouring milk on them, letting them turn into pudding.

we used to make boxes of Italian Christmas cookies. 3 hours making pizzelles alone. Tons of spritz cookies.

miss those days!

Was able to watch the video of the architect reacting to stuff when I used my computer.
Power went out again around noon. Stayed out an hour. My bronchial tubes feel like garbage & I ache everywhere. I think it's from sitting on the cooler & all the bending I did while cleaning.
I need to get some potassium and magnesium in my diet.
I also need to cut back on the sugary stuff.
I woke up coughing some time in the middle of the night. I think all the damp air wasn't helping. I was trying to see if the flooring I bought for the laundry room was still available to buy full-size sample boards (or just samples to take to the store to look at less expensive trim options). MSI stuff has changed the name to A&A but some stuff is still listed as MSI & some as A&A. Price has gone way up. I wonder if they have a version at Lowes or if they are exclusive to HomeDepot.
I plan to go for early voting tomorrow. I know I need to get groceries & clean up so we can have a decent dinner tonight. Yesterday we were at a friend's house & another friend came over & cooked. He left out a lot of the spices he normally puts in bc he knows I'm allergic so it was very good. It was nice to catch up with those friends. Unfortunately, their trailer was taken out by this second storm & even though they had just finished paying it off before the previous hurricane, the seller hasn't sent the title yet & they can't use it to get any $ reimbursement until she sends it or they find the bill of sale & file for lost title.
A lot of houses are still underwater in town. I saw guy in a truck with a small boat in the pickup bed backing up to where a road was covered by water. It reminded me of how there was a flood about 30 years ago & people in one of the houses there had to take a boat to get from their house to the road to get on the school bus.

Sounds like your still having a rough time Z
Today I got new windows as the others were just about falling out
I helped and I made the coffee

Attachments

• WINDOWS1.jpg
    WINDOWS1.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 25
  • WINDOWS3.jpg
    WINDOWS3.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 21
Jon, that's a cute little table & chair. I really like the new windows!
Things are going a bit better. I slept through the night & woke up just in time to grab my brother & head to our early polling location. Got there right after they opened. Only a couple people were ahead of us in line. There was a lady asking us to get IDs out to be ready & directing people. Pointed to sample ballots with info about the various amendments. I had saved an image of the amendments & which options I wanted to choose on my phone as a reminder so I could compare bc I had researched to see the effects of each amendment & read the pros & cons. One of the candidates I voted for was the one who linked the info on the amendments (to a bipartisan site). Poll workers were all friendly. They had a bin with pens they handed people to sign in, then another bin to put the used pens. I brought my own pen. Another lady was wiping down the screens after each person. While I was at the voting booth one of the ladies commented on how they had cordoned things off outside & it looked like a crime scene. "Let's hope it doesn't become a crime scene!" Lots of laughter & good spirits. They were prepared to get slammed with people later on. I hope people turn out in great numbers to vote. Even if they don't vote for the candidates I chose, I want people to be involved.
My bronchial tubes feel better today. I grabbed a bacon egg & cheese biscuit at McDonalds on the way home.
Cats tore a larger hole in my bedroom window screen bc they were offended that my window was closed & they wanted in. I let a couple of them in last night- I still have the back door blocked off to keep raccoons out & it seems to be working, but some of the cats got out the front door when we were leaving & some can squeeze through to get out.
I want to do something else productive again, but I want to nap first. I always feel sleepy after eating.

Oregon change to vote by mail only years ago. Ballots can be put in the mail or take him to the library or the courthouse and there are official dropboxes so if you don't trust the mail you can put them in a dropbox. Ours is right in front of the police station.
Back when we used to go vote in person, all of the people that were in charge were great people. I think if you're a grouchy stick in the mud they don't let you do that job.
You had to show your ID. To that ought to be mandatory.
I've been going crazy because of a floor situation on a carpet job I'm starting.
I installed carpeting in this log home 20ish years ago when it was built. The floor has radiant water tubes in the floor and that floor is covered up with gypcrete. The owners of this home put on a large addition it's just one single room. A few days ago the contractor tore down the temporary wall between the old and the new. They also removed the wood flooring in the dining room because that will be carpeted along with the new addition. The floor in this room had settled considerably. I'm guessing this had 2x10 or 2x12 floor joists. I'm also suspecting they were wet when installed and shrunk creating a half inch drop in the floor. The settling isn't even throughout the entire room, so I had to map out the thickness of the drop in many places where I would need to pour self-leveling concrete so that I could estimate how many bags were needed. That's quite a challenge.
When I did this home originally I ran into a very stressful situation because of the way the tubing was installed in the floor. In many places the tubing was exactly where I would nail in my tack strip. The tubing was installed incorrectly and way too close to the walls and door casings.
Well the same guy did the same thing in this dining room part of the house. Like the upstairs I could see the tube locations somewhat in the middle of the floor. Closer to the wall it didn't even look like there were tubes there....... I had them turn on the heat, then I mapped out the floor along the edges to see what was there. There were additional tubes where I thought there weren't tubes and on one wall the tube locations are two to three inches away from the wall. That's closer than I am comfortable with but I'm very sure of exactly where they are. I found the tubes just like I did years ago by using my cheap infrared thermometer. It's amazing what can be done with this little tool. I now know where the tubes are but I will be covering them up with self-leveler. I will make a map for a template so that later I can install the tack strip without hitting anything.
Do I get the fun jobs or what? 🥴
Here are two views. One from the new addition looking into the dining room, the other looking from the dining room into the new addition.
The long carpet cut is 44 feet long. The other two pieces are 14 and 32 feet. It's thin carpet with a pattern....... Just yummy, isn't it?

Attachments

• IMG_20201015_163655589_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201015_163655589_HDR.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201015_163620966_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201015_163620966_HDR.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20201014_182154635_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201014_182154635_HDR.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 22
This is the area the self-leveler will be poured. The green part is all 1/2 in deep and meets up against the cinder block foundation wall. The black line is the approximate edge of the fill. Once the self-leveler has hardened I will have to screed on a different type of floor patch to match or blend up to where the self-leveler ends. The foundation walls are level and on the same plane and that helps a lot. I will just keep pouring buckets of self-leveler until it gets to the height of the cinder block in both locations.
I don't use self-leveler often so this always makes me nervous. Partly because of the speed I need to keep working and partly to control the mess.
To clean the mixing bucket between pours I will need to travel across the area where I'll be pouring the leveler. That's the only way in and out of this new edition, there are no doors.

Attachments

• IMG_20201015_163655589_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20201015_163655589_HDR~2.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 19
High the easiest way to find the tubing is turn the heat up and damp mop the floor. Where the tubes are will dry first and show you where it is. Mark it with a marker. I
ve only hit one water line in all my year plus a gas line in a bar which turned out to be a cooler line. That shut him down for the weekend and he was poed. If ya don't know its there nothing you can do.

My 39 dollar infrared thermometer measure in 1/10 of a degree increments. How does that compare to a mop when you're trying to measure fractions of an inch? What sized batteries? 😁
Not bad idea. When I started measuring, there was only about 3 degrees difference between the center of the tube and the area in between tubes. I'm not sure how well a mop would work with that.

I’m at Toyota getting my 4Runner repaired. Got oil change and they did a basic inspection of the car. 2 struts leaking and my running board won’t retract. They are putting in a claim for extended warranty service. Assuming they pay out it’s the best $800 I’ve ever spent

Latest posts

Back