What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what you get for thinking. There is a picture of my son in uniform I wish could be incorporated with mine. I'm not smart enough to be able to do that. So if any takers let me know.
I'd give it a try, but I don't have a confuzer that works with my scanner or my photoshop. Just my phone and a hp notebook.

If you can get both images scanned in it's not too hard to put them in the same image next to one another.
Anything fancier than that is beyond me. LOL.

Been messing with my drawings of the bathroom while trying to figure out measurements. Window is slightly off center- 19.5" from one wall and ~18" from the other (my vision wasn't good enough to see which line it went on just beyond 18 and the lock on the measuring tape didn't work to hold it in place for me to get a better look). Bottom of the window is about 46.5" high & top is around 81" (I didn't have the stool to get a closer look at the lines again, but appeared to be a little over but less than 1/2"). Can't seem to find reliable specs on what the total height of the tub/shower unit will be. Some put it around 79" and others at 75.5" or 76" That means the window won't stick over the top of the surround as much as I'd thought when I did drawings. Fortunately, I bought window trim that can go 36"x36". Rough in height for the window is about 36.

I've also been thinking about the transition from carpet to sheet vinyl in my bathroom. I saw a video on how the edge is done in a doorway on carpet, so if my installer used one of those strip thingies that you tack down, it looks like I should be able to pry it up enough to stick my sheet vinyl under, trimming sheet vinyl to fit snugly, & then tack it back down. I wish there was a soft rubber threshold bc the installer cut the carpet back way too far. From the bedroom you can see the sheet vinyl and a gap under the door. The extra carpet was in a bag in the loft of the barn so it's probably destroyed now. I can see the bag when I go to the barn, but I can't get to it & don't want to try climbing bc stuff might collapse on me. Bag is probably ripped & likely got saturated with water by now. Although, I'm tempted to go see if I can grab it now. Got it with a grabber arm briefly over a year ago but it was too heavy to budge.

I'm also thinking about transition strips from the laundry room to bathroom. New vinyl plank will be 6.5mm. I'll have 2 doorways that go from LVP to sheet vinyl (closet has sheet vinyl). One transition from LVP to carpet (about the same level so I can keep the wood T-molding). And one transition from LVP to the messed up parquet hardwood. At this point I'm thinking of just tearing all the parquet up because it has huge gaps from pieces coming out now. Still debating what to replace it with or see if it's possible to put some sort of finish on the plywood floor below.

Not raining, but 30 mph winds today. Not sure how high the gusts have been, but noisy at times. Supposed to start slowing down after 11 or 12 if they are correct. Hardly any rain today tho.

Here's the job I'm working on now. Home was built in 06...... 1906 that is.
I put 6 bags of filler in the bedrooms, most in the large one, the MBR. It's just over 24 feet long by 12. Lady asked if I would install the new base. 😳 It needed 6" base. The stuff I removed was 4" and that looked stupid in house that age. I installed MDF except for 10 feet that had outside corners. 6" for would have been very expensive.
The previous owner had the room sheetrocked and sprayed because of remodeling it to make it larger. She had the outside corners and the new closet opening corners done with metal rounded corners........ sheesh, old homes are sacred places so they need to be kept old looking, not 1990's style.
(No, MDF isn't "sacred" or vintage, but there are budgets)
Anyhow, I suggested framing the closet opening with 1 by 5 material to match the other door openings. She liked the idea. 😲 The closet has bifold doors. So anyway the rounded corners are out of sight forever. This is one quickie of the room.
I'm the painter too..... 😖 I started with the closet to see how the paint was going to behave, especially cutting in on the top of the base against the wall. I think I can freehand this so no tape.
Paint is a self priming Benjamin Moore product....... Boy o boy do you have to move fast. It says no thinning.
Guess you slap it on fast then let it flow out....... don't keep brushing. I not fast! I think I'll esperiment using a brush to cut in, then roller on the wide stuff. Needs two coats, so the first one will y a learning curve.

Attachments

• IMG_20201113_165318678_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201113_165318678_HDR.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 24
Glad I didn't have to paint the 200+ window panes in the place. It's not a huge house, just lots of panes.

Attachments

• IMG_20201113_165439630_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201113_165439630_HDR.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201113_165407707.jpg
    IMG_20201113_165407707.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201113_164946077_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201113_164946077_HDR.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200801_154128634.jpg
    IMG_20200801_154128634.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200801_154047129.jpg
    IMG_20200801_154047129.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 21
Holy cow that's a lot of windows! Lots of grilles in them too. I think that's one where I would use a bunch of painter's tape & just use spray paint. LOL. I actually like painting. Back when I was little, my dad let us paint the inside of the play house he built for us. We used his old shirts as smocks & were barefoot. We made a huge mess but it was fun. Later on he got me to help him paint the workshop and barn. I learned to wear a hat when working anywhere near him painting because I'd end up with paint from his brush splattered on my hair otherwise. But it was still fun. I'm not the handiest person but I can paint and I can hand people tools and hold stuff for them & go get stuff/tools/paper towels/bandaids.
I'm not a fan of big windows-- nor that many windows. Too much air leakage/allowing too much heat/cold in. I'm the kind of person who likes blackout curtains in every room-- only to be opened when we want to see sunlight. I'm a night owl so I don't like sunlight that much.

Out of curiosity, what is wrong with 4" base? Does it just look too short?

Speaking of 4"-- I was reading that is the standard height of a tub spout is about 4" above tub rim. Not sure if that's bottom or on center though. Anyway, turns out the wall kit for the guest bathroom tub has a small ledge about 19-1/4" up the side walls. Well, there's a ledge on the back wall, but the line detail continues on to the side panels which creates a little lip that would interfere with shower trim laying flat. So, my shower trim would have to go either above or below it (with center being around 3-3/4" above or below since trim is 7-1/2" diameter). Since my brother is 6'3", having the controls higher is better. So that would put the trim center about 23" from tub rim. Now, the specs for the Multichoice valve suggests 8" to 18" from the valve center to the tub spout center. If I put the tub spout at 4" above (assuming that means center not bottom) then the distance between centers would be 19" or so. If I raise the spout up an inch it would be 18" distance. So, is there anything wrong with having the spout be 5" (center of spout) above the tub rim? Could I even go 6"? (I asked on plumbing forums & got no answer).

Still feeling tired & low energy & hoping thyroid meds will start kicking in. Also been finding I'm exhausted after eating so I pretty much went into a food coma after breakfast (bacon & eggs). My lower back was bugging me today & my brother hurt his hip so neither of us got much cleaning done today. Well, he didn't get any done and I only got a small amount. I'm going to have to tackle mom's empty bottle pile. I've cleaned it up in the past but developed a case of the f*** its. She claims my brother is supposed to clean it up but he feels he shouldn't have to bc it's her mess-- which means it goes back to me. The pile is above my shins now. I threatened to take a photo to show to her doctor and she was horrified. If she put them in the trash bags I gave her & didn't toss them across the room like a slob, there wouldn't be a pile. At least I know where I get my slobbishness from. LOL.

My brother made the mistake of putting a brand new pack of Oatmeal in the upper cabinets in the kitchen instead of in the pantry. Raccoons got to it & ate ALL of it. But now I know what to use as bait if I find an animal trap to set out for them. I'll probably catch some of the cats first though. Pretty sure Bethesda & Aminatu would end up caught. The dog, Princess, would likely get herself caught as well. I chased to big fat raccoons out of the kitchen last night. Princess was barking like crazy. I walked around the corner, saw the two fatsos standing on their hind legs, shouted "Hey, f***ers!" at them & they ran.

Ah. My house didn't have baseboards at all. Main floor in the front room was plywood that was stained & had some sort of leaf motif painted around the perimeter. I would have kept it if the tenants hadn't set a bucket of hot ash on it and burned all the way through to the subfloor. We're lucky they didn't burn the house down.

Zan, the home was built in 1906. Homes had tall base the. Bedrooms are 6, rest of the house is 8. 4" looks strange in an old house.
I tore out the carpet and 4 inch base a couple months ago. The base had to go because it was cat peed like the carpet.
90 feet of 6" MDF and 10 feet of hem/fir was $120. Straight grained for would have been over $400

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation, Randy.
The baseboards (which were mdf) in my sister's old house all had to be replaced bc the cats kept spraying outside the litterbox when peeing.

I got up early & ate breakfast, cleaned a bit, napped for awhile, got back up again & cleaned some more. Tried to put a dent in Mom's bottle pile. It's about up to my waist now. I filled 2 contractor bags & you can't even tell I did anything. Ugh. I wish I'd tackled this sooner. Brother was still having hip pain so he didn't take trash out but he did put a new liner in the trash can when I pulled the bag out. I napped after cleaning again and he tried to wake me around noon to go to the store. I asked for another hour so an hour later we went & picked up groceries and mail.

Got back home, unloaded & put stuff away & took another nap. Can't remember what time Mom woke me for dinner, but I cooked for her and then went back to napping again. Just woke up bc dog jumped on my bladder. Feels like I've got a kidney stone kicking around on my right side again. I'm still waiting for the thyroid meds to work to give me some energy. I keep having to nap all the time bc I'm too exhausted.

Fippy just let the cats into my room so they are piling on me. One just jumped over my monitor and pounced on my chest.

My brother will be teaching EFL tomorrow so he won't be home for awhile. The usual teacher is in quarantine so she asked him to substitute for her.

Latest posts

Back