What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are starting here with the people who work the boarders, health people etc on Saturday not forgetting we didnt have any cases of the virus in the community until last weekend of which they are trying to work out where came from. Heard today two new cases from a school where one of the earlier contacts went to school
Maybe our lock down will carry on past mid night?

It is amazing that in Los Angeles, our covid numbers dropped down to zero. They converted all the covid testing sites into covid shot sites. With no new cases, schools are opening up, restaurants allow inside seating, and our crooked Governor Newscum is no longer on the news daily from 4-6pm.
This was all a planned sceme controlled by the liberals.

Last edited:
I think the 2nd dose depends on the type of medicine it was & what the doctors want to do. Some get 2nd dose in 2 weeks. Mom's was scheduled for 3.

Snow never melted-- first time since I've lived here that it didn't melt within 24 hours. It was still going strong when I was walking around. Ice was pretty solid on the sidewalk.

Pipes froze so we have no running water. I still had some water in buckets for flushing the toilet but we're running low. I may go collect some ice/snow when the sun comes up & get it to melt so I can use it for flushing toilets.

Checked the well shed & nothing was frozen in there, but there seems to be a pretty bad leak. When it warms up enough I may just cave and call the pump guy to come fix it. Although, I might see if I can fix it myself once I get all of the fittings I need.

My cow was standing in the sun completely still for over an hour so I went to check on her. I petted her and it seemed to snap her out of it. She followed me around a bit.

Only one of the cats came out of the house to follow me. Poor thing hated it. She was walking awkwardly with her back arch, fur puffed up on her back, and her tail straight up and puffed like a bottle brush. I picked her up and carried her back inside once I was done taking pictures/videos of the snow/ice.

My truck still has icicles hanging from it. I had to slowly make my way out there and be careful not to slip because my brother forgot to bring the dog food in so I had to get it. I'm now glad we never got rid of the remnants of the chain link gate because I held on to the posts.

It's supposed to get even colder and snow again later this week. My friend may have to reschedule his dental appointment.

I got the heating pad back from my brother but now the cats are hogging it. LOL.

Daris, is it a pain/numbing shot? Have you looked in to RF (radiofrequency ablation) treatment for it? Or is that what you're getting? I remember that really helped my father with his pain. The didn't do it in this crappy state so we had to drive to Houston for it every few weeks for a couple of years.

We are having a heat wave, the emp has gone up 37* since I got up. It now 25*. You can do the math.
Z I'm not sure what the shots are in my back but thinking cortizone. Whatever it is it will raise my A1C for a bit. I was a 8.4 and they wouldn't do it. Down to 6.9 now so away we go.

I heard the sad news today and it hurts.
Then I read this and I don't know how to describe it. 😣
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5fe4e082c5b66809cb30ad57Over there many years of listening to Rush, the one thing I discovered about people that don't like him is that they never listened to him.
Bigoted? Racist? I listen to him almost daily since the mid-90s and I've never heard anything bigeted or racist come out of his mouth. He described himself as a lovable little fuzzball. He was just that.

I hope all of you is a nasty weather they're holding out okay. Good thingthe president didn't sign an executive order his first day in office and make it fossil fuel illegal and force us to rely on windmills and solar.
I hope this nasty thing ends quick. None of this is affecting me one bit but I can't believe the number of people that have died of a damage that's caused.

Looked outside this morning to find my mailbox on the snowbank. 25 degrees and I have to do carpentry. Plow must’ve thrown snow into it because post and mailbox are both undamaged. Got lucky. Warming toes right now. Still need to use snowblower. In 25 degrees freezing rain!

The snow plow hit your mailbox?
I feel pretty lucky living here on the coast in Oregon. The valley and especially up near Portland got hammered by this storm system. I think in Portland alone there was 5,000 power lines down. also have lots of freezing rain that's probably what caused the power lines to go down. I heard there was a car that went over the i-205 bridge into the Columbia River. Probably over 100 ft drop. Apparently the snow plows blow the snow off to the side of the bridge but not over the bridge into the water. Because of that, when a car slides out of control and hits that bank of snow it acts like a ramp. I bet after that they change the way they do the snow plow procedure, so it blows the snow clear off of the bridge.

I recall seeing a video recently of just that thing and the guy survived. in the video of the car was traveling from left to right and it was sunny outside.

Working on a pain in the ass hallway, with two sets of pain in the ass bifold doors, and with pain in the ass expensive carpet.
This is on a slab with copper radiant tube heat in the floor. I found where most of the tubes were at but I use the edger sander next to the original tack strip to give the second row of tack strip a good surface to stick to with a urethane adhesive.
The bifold doors were installed in unusual manner. The base pivots were on the slab not up on top of the carpet like you normally see them. The carpet I took up was a thick brick red carpet. I'm putting down a thin looped pile Masland carpet.
Customer wanted this done the same way so those lower guides do not show. The doors clearances we're okay when I took them off, so to make this work I did some very accurate measuring to the center of the holes in the guides.
The first photo shows two guides glued and screwed back to back. These two closets are side by side with a wall separating them. The wall separated to closet doesn't show when the doors are closed, so this was The logical way to make this work.
I got the carpet stretched in today so it's time to use my measurements and poke a nice neat round hole exactly centered in those guide holes.
I use this method before in a motorhome to actually burn a hole in the carpet for bolts to go through. You take a brass tube of the diameter you need, heated up with a propane torch till it's red hot, then use that to poke a nice neat hole where you want it. It melts the carpet and the backing and it's kind of like taking a core sample. In the process it also melts the carpet fibers in the backing together so it can't unravel.
The important thing is you have to absolutely 100% trust your measurements. Measure twice burn once. 😁
The image with the torch in it has the brass rod that I use laying next to it. The pen is pointing at the hole.
The hallway had terracotta tile at the end of the hallway and going into a bathroom. Midway in the hall was an engineered wood floor that had to be tucked to. Both of the closets in the hall we're five and a half feet long and each one had to have a seam. Towards each end of the hallway will be doorway seams going into an office and a master bedroom. I'm going to start the office on Monday. Because I'm gluing the tack strip it's going to be a two-day job. I can't wait to get out of this one it's dragging on forever........ or I'm dragging it on forever. 😑

Attachments

• PXL_20210217_231753178~3.jpg
    PXL_20210217_231753178~3.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20210219_224403676~2.jpg
    PXL_20210219_224403676~2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20210219_224415275.jpg
    PXL_20210219_224415275.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20210219_203343969.jpg
    PXL_20210219_203343969.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20210219_203334419.jpg
    PXL_20210219_203334419.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Power went out after my last post. I spent 2 nights without heat but the kitties and dog kept me warm. Thursday I went in to town and got a bbq, charcoal, charcoal heater (like a giant mug thing-- after the charcoal wouldn't heat up inside the cheap bbq), some bbq gloves & some tongs and stuff. Took it to friend's house & we bbqed some pork chops (only meat left in the stores). Took hours bc bbq didn't want to warm up. Wrapped some of them in foil & put them in an insulated bag to take home to Mom. She ate half of one & complained she didn't like the char on it.
Today I was so stiff I could barely move with all the cats pinning me down. They were keeping me warm & vice versa, but I couldn't get them to budge. Waited til I heard my brother in the hallway and asked him to put out food so they would get off me. It worked & I was able to get to the bathroom in time.
I had an extremely strange dream about a giant wooden toilet that was normally priced $9,085 but was marked down to $8000 and some guy came over with a sledgehammer and hit it. There was a smaller wooden toilet for $600 that was marked down to $500. Guy was about to smash it but I told him to wait until I used it. I'd been trying to find a bathroom in the dream- woke up to realize it was one of those dreams of my brain telling me in dreams that I needed to go. LOL. Fortunately, I made it to the bathroom in time.
We got Mom over to friend's house where it's warmer & she could watch Youtube on the TV. Also got her tablet charging so she could play Mahjong on it.
Got some fuzzy warm socks from clearance section at the store. Her shrimp and fish in the freezer were still frozen so we took them over to friend's house. May bbq or cook up the fish tomorrow or just bring it home.
Checked back at the house as it was getting dark & found power is back on-- must have just come back on bc it was still cold AF. I had planned to stay the night to keep my pets warm & my brother and Mom were going to spend the night at friend's house.
We checked back with Mom and decided it was best if she stayed there (so we didn't worry about her slipping and falling trying to get back into the house in the dark). Brother decided to come home with me.
I've got a heating pad and the kitties are happy to see me. Dogs are curled up with me.
Mom's dog was fussing & shivering so I pulled him under the covers. He started growling so I sang him the STFU & settle down song while petting him. He started grunting instead of growling and then sighed and curled up on my lap. The other dog is curled up under a fuzzy blanket.
I'm going to move the heating pad around on my back & shoulder to see if it helps my joints. Shoulders were giving me a lot of trouble today.
I'm looking in to getting some warmer sheets & pillowcases.
Also, the cows say Hi
1613800044247.png

This winter has to end soon. It's not affecting me a bit other than the rain doesn't stop enough. I was getting used to global warming and no rain. This winter is like the winters I remembered as a kid. My best description of our weather is icky. Unlike other parts of the United States, our weather doesn't kill you. We also don't have $600 electric bills. Honestly, I can't imagine what people on the Midwest or East coast are paying every month to heat their homes. It must be scary.

I'm guessing almost 30 years ago I work for a fella 50 mi south of where I live. He was from California and was in the process of moving to Oregon. He had his radio on and the radio reception along our coast isn't all that good, especially farther south where he lives. His radio was on and I heard this fella talking and he was kind of interesting. The radio signal wasn't very good but I could still listen to what he was saying.
I asked my customer, "who's that?"
He said "you don't know who that is? That's Rush Limbaugh"
Anyway I thought he was pretty entertaining. About 3 months later Rush was on our local AM radio station. In the weeks prior to the start of his show, the advertising said that he was going to have a 3-hour-long show every day and that he would have no guests. 🙄
I'm trying to think how that could possibly work. 🤔
When his show finally arrived I was impressed. This guy could literally talk for 3 hours straight without any effort. His words and thoughts were fluent and no matter what he said, none of it seemed to be boring.
Anyway, I'm not nearly as conservative as Rush was, but in general I agreed with most of what he said. What he said was true. Conservatives want people to work for a living and earn money to pay their bills and when that's done it makes the person feel good inside for providing something for himself and his family.
Democrats on the other hand seem to preach that everyone is working against you and that you can't succeed on your own and that they need to help you survive. Democrats demonize wealthy and successful people and businesses and preach to their downtrodden constituents that those people who have succeeded in life owe you a piece of their action because they have too much and you don't. Democrats have succeeded in making people believe that rich people have too much money and that they owe some of their money to you. Do they? Democrats have successfully made you think that you don't have money because the wealthy people took it all...... no they were just smarter than you and me.
Anyway, Rush had a very good way of explaining these very simple things.
A lot of people think Rush had a big ego and thought he was better than everybody else. From everything I know about him and everything I've read and heard other people say about him, once off his soapbox, he became much more shy and quiet person. over the years he's donated millions of dollars to different causes and yet nobody knows about it because he didn't put his name on the donations. He wants to give 100 or 150,000 to St Jude's hospital and the only request was that they didn't tell who the donation came from.
Anyway there's a lot of videos out there of Rush and I thought this one was kind of funny.
He was at CPAC as a headliner making a speech to the conservatives. Some of this might be boring but start at the 4-minute mark. He's about to tell a joke. To me it's one of the funnest jokes he's ever told because most liberals think Rush is a pompous egotistical, self-loving individual. That wasn't who he was and that's what makes this joke so funny.

What did I do today?
well besides my morning chores I decided to go out and pull a lot of the wet snow off my house and garage roofs. Took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I then used the snow blower to remove it all from my drive and also made the blower walk backwards up 3 steps to get on my deck which had about 3 ft of snow on it. I've been just shoveling a path for my dog to get off the deck and piling it at the side. Now I'm paying for it big time. The back and shoulder are killing me. So I popped an 800 Motrin that I have for the shoulder but very seldom take any as I'm not a drug person, hate the ones that I have to take daily. I probably still have 1/2 a bottle that was perscribed back in Aug of 2019. But anyway I don't have to worry about the roof caving in from the weight. That snow was heavy as it is almost 40* today.

Latest posts

Back