What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started talking to Nick through Skype he kept saying he had to get rid of his snow which didnt make sense to me as the snow would keep coming back
He said if he didnt get rid of the snow he wouldnt be able to open his doors which made sense when he told me
We dont understand snow at Auckland as we never see that white stuff
Rest in peace Nick
One of the better guys around

We ended up with about 8 inches of snow. Temperature was at 20 or below for two weeks. Finally got back up to 32 yesterday. 41 today. Went out and charged the batteries on our other car and my van and got both running. Car has a flat, too much snow and too cold to do anything with it. Probably try to air it up tomorrow and take it to get it fixed. ....Our covid shots are 4 weeks apart. They are Moderna.

My wife's little dog jumped off the steps into the snow and it was over her head. She ran right back in.

Most of the snow has melted now-- except in constantly shady areas. Apparently the store owners/managers don't understand liability issues bc they didn't bother to clear ice & snow off their sidewalks & pedestrian crossing areas in their parking lots. People also don't seem to know you are supposed to clear the snow/ice off of your vehicles before driving so it won't fly off and kill people (which has happened before & is why many states have laws about it). But, they don't sell snow shovels in this state & it's never lasted this long before.

Technically yesterday: I slept in & was fairly warm a few hours in since heater started working. Still had to keep water off. I could hear water spraying outside near the back door but it was too dark to check. When it was daylight I went out and looked for signs of leaking. Tried to push the back door open to flip the breaker. It bounced back with so much force I had to dig in with my feet and one of the cinder blocks serving as steps rolled. So I twisted my ankle and fell. I was not a happy camper. I called out to my brother for help, but he is a heavy sleeper so he didn't hear me (or at least wouldn't acknowledge it if he did). I ended up having to go all the way around to the front and through the front room, kitchen, hallway, etc to flip the breaker and then go back out. Door won't open bc my brother has his crap piled up against it on the floor. I tried picking some of it up but my back and shoulders were not cooperating.

Went and got my friend so he could look at the plumbing to find the leak. While he was checking the pipe for the hose bib broke off. He took pics with his phone, figured out what parts we would need, and off to Lowes we went. Found the parts and headed back to install them. Well, he installed them. I couldn't reach.

Toilet filled, tub's cold water worked. No water from sinks though. I think there is another leak somewhere. Water heater was still filling hours later.

My video card is on the fritz. Keeps going black screen and having a line across the center- horizontally, and then coming back on. It's very annoying.

I'm guessing almost 30 years ago I work for a fella 50 mi south of where I live. He was from California and was in the process of moving to Oregon. He had his radio on and the radio reception along our coast isn't all that good, especially farther south where he lives. His radio was on and I heard this fella talking and he was kind of interesting. The radio signal wasn't very good but I could still listen to what he was saying.
I asked my customer, "who's that?"
He said "you don't know who that is? That's Rush Limbaugh"
Anyway I thought he was pretty entertaining. About 3 months later Rush was on our local AM radio station. In the weeks prior to the start of his show, the advertising said that he was going to have a 3-hour-long show every day and that he would have no guests. 🙄
I'm trying to think how that could possibly work. 🤔
When his show finally arrived I was impressed. This guy could literally talk for 3 hours straight without any effort. His words and thoughts were fluent and no matter what he said, none of it seemed to be boring.
Anyway, I'm not nearly as conservative as Rush was, but in general I agreed with most of what he said. What he said was true. Conservatives want people to work for a living and earn money to pay their bills and when that's done it makes the person feel good inside for providing something for himself and his family.
Democrats on the other hand seem to preach that everyone is working against you and that you can't succeed on your own and that they need to help you survive. Democrats demonize wealthy and successful people and businesses and preach to their downtrodden constituents that those people who have succeeded in life owe you a piece of their action because they have too much and you don't. Democrats have succeeded in making people believe that rich people have too much money and that they owe some of their money to you. Do they? Democrats have successfully made you think that you don't have money because the wealthy people took it all...... no they were just smarter than you and me.
Anyway, Rush had a very good way of explaining these very simple things.
A lot of people think Rush had a big ego and thought he was better than everybody else. From everything I know about him and everything I've read and heard other people say about him, once off his soapbox, he became much more shy and quiet person. over the years he's donated millions of dollars to different causes and yet nobody knows about it because he didn't put his name on the donations. He wants to give 100 or 150,000 to St Jude's hospital and the only request was that they didn't tell who the donation came from.
Anyway there's a lot of videos out there of Rush and I thought this one was kind of funny.
He was at CPAC as a headliner making a speech to the conservatives. Some of this might be boring but start at the 4-minute mark. He's about to tell a joke. To me it's one of the funnest jokes he's ever told because most liberals think Rush is a pompous egotistical, self-loving individual. That wasn't who he was and that's what makes this joke so funny.

There are a million successful businesses that owe themselves to following the kind of thinking Rush espoused - I’m owner of one

I'm going to guess you're going to be a wee bit stiff for 2 or 3 days. I don't think I'd be able to keep up with you with the snow clearing.
I take a couple of ibuprofen every morning but that's about it. My home medical kit consists of Ibuprofen, Neosporin paper towels and duct tape.

There are a million successful businesses that owe themselves to following the kind of thinking Rush espoused - I’m owner of one
He was a great motivational speaker. I loved it when he had the kids calling in.
Do you remember Dan's bake sale?

Last edited:
I temporarily fixed a leak in my bathroom. The faucet has had a slow drip for a long time but the drip has gotten worse over the past two months and turn into a drizzle. The faucet is 50 years old and not knowing what's inside it, I don't want to take it apart, find out it's not fixable, and then make the problem worse when putting it back together. Want to replace the sink, the faucet and the small countertop, so I'm not going to do anything about the faucet until I'm ready to do the whole thing. There are copper lines that go to the sink but there never were shut off valves.
I have my monthly electric bill split up into 12 equal payments so the winter months didn't hurt so bad. My new billing just came, and it's $20 per month higher than it was before. That would mean $20 per month every month.
I went and did some investigating and discovered the hot side was the one that was leaking. I bought two valves with compression fittings, and once installed I turned the hot water side off. I put a 5-ft pail under even drip before installing the valve and calculated that it was consuming at least a few gallons per hour per hour. Wow a lot more than I thought it was. I went out and checked my meter yesterday after turning the water off. It's going to be interesting checking the meter after 24 hours and finding out my new electric power consumption.

I hope you get that drip fixed, Highup.

I have drips/leaks all over the place. I can see it's leaking between the check valve and the pvc elbow on the inlet side of my jet pump. It's also leaking from the lower elbow going into the jet pump.. Pump guy got rid of my shut off so I can't do maintenance myself easily. I'm a bit miffed about that. He put so many PVC fittings that I would have to go inside the tank to mess with things & I can't get in there- can't get the lid off to get in. I'm not sure how he was able to get in there that one time to replace a fitting. May have to call him again and have all the parts ready and tell him what I want. He charged something like $200 for a $20 check valve last time. He normally doesn't overcharge, but I think he was ticked off that no one came out when he rolled around back. He's the only pump service guy in the area.

I need to eliminate more of the PVC fittings in general. I want to get the shutoff valve put back on so I can do pump maintenance in emergencies (when power is shut off). I also want to see if I can replace the line between the outlet side of the pump and the pressure tank with PEX (if that is allowed or would work-- I haven't found a definitive answer).

I should probably replace the galvanized fittings on my tank with brass or stainless steel. Pex would make things a lot easier though-- no more labyrinth of pvc elbows.

Kitchen sink waterlines are leaking BADLY. Literally pouring water out even after we shut the pump off. Hope it didn't do any water damage to the wood. Gonna have to see when my friend can come out and look at it.

Good news is my cold water line was not leaking under the sink. Bad news is my entire run of hot water line is busted. ALL the way across the house. Got enough parts to fix two sinks. Friend patched it-- still leaked beyond the patch. Patched again.. He reported that leaks were pouring out from laundry room all the way to the bathrooms on the other side of the house. CPVC split down the middle all the way across.

I need to spend Wednesday cleaning bc Thursday my friend will be back to replace all of the lines with PEX. He's going to replace the cold lines too. He'll leave enough wiggle room to add tees for additional or moved lines.

Ideally, I'd like to get some PEX manifolds. One for hot located near the water heater and one for cold located in the laundry room wall closer to where water enters the house from the well. I'm trying to figure out the best sizes to get for manifolds. I wanted 1" inlet and end outlet with 3/4 side outlets but can't seem to find that. Not sure on the pipe size of the water heater outlet.

A few days ago the morning low was 14. Today it is supposed to reach the mid 50's. I got a foot of snow on the lawn. Let it melt! Been working on rewiring my telescope. I have something like 8 wires going from ground to the components on the scope. I'm working on cutting down the tangle by putting a USB hub and a Power Pole hub on the tube. Power poles are something new to me. They use them a lot in amateur radio. My brother is making the RJ 45 and RJ 12 cables 8 and 6 wire assemblies with special connectors on the opposite end.

On a side note, my favorite Italian restaurant in York county opened for indoor dining and we finally got there. They're seating at 50% but there wasn't that many in the restaurant. It did fill up as we were leaving. Seafood Alfredo with shrimp and crabmeat over cheese tortellini with sun dried tomatoes. And as with most Italian restaurants, they give you 3 times as much food as you could possibly eat!

Good news is my cold water line was not leaking under the sink. Bad news is my entire run of hot water line is busted. ALL the way across the house. Got enough parts to fix two sinks. Friend patched it-- still leaked beyond the patch. Patched again.. He reported that leaks were pouring out from laundry room all the way to the bathrooms on the other side of the house. CPVC split down the middle all the way across.

I need to spend Wednesday cleaning bc Thursday my friend will be back to replace all of the lines with PEX. He's going to replace the cold lines too. He'll leave enough wiggle room to add tees for additional or moved lines.

Ideally, I'd like to get some PEX manifolds. One for hot located near the water heater and one for cold located in the laundry room wall closer to where water enters the house from the well. I'm trying to figure out the best sizes to get for manifolds. I wanted 1" inlet and end outlet with 3/4 side outlets but can't seem to find that. Not sure on the pipe size of the water heater outlet.

Last year my friend put in pex to bypass the water softener to the outside faucets. We used sharkbite fittings. So much easier. Like putting legos together. The manifolds are expensive. Better to put a piece of 1/2 inch plywood on the wall and then mount T connectors and ball valves. I.E., make your own manifold. HD and Lowes have all that stuff.

I bought a tiny altec Lansing Bluetooth speaker a few months ago. I use it a lot with my phone and the sound is fantastic.
Most of the time when I'm working no one is home. I find it's really neat to be able to listen to the radio that way.
Home I'm working on is occupied but the people are usually in the living room which is 60 ft away.
I decided to bring your speaker in yesterday and later in the afternoon I was listening to Sean Hannity. I keep the sound down low and move the speaker around so it's close to me. When I finish the room I was working in yesterday and vacuumed it all up, I offered to help move in a big piece of furniture. I click the button on the speaker but it didn't go off. Again it was on quite softly. When the lady came to check out the room, she asked me. "Could you please turn off the radio, my house is a House of tranquility"
I've been working there a week and a half and I've yet to hear the TV come on even though they've been home most of the time. They both read a lot.
I'm not sure if she doesn't like the radio being on, or if Sean Hannity isn't her most favorite person. 😄

Latest posts

Back