What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highup, I've traveled all over. Born in California, moved to Georgia, then Texas, then Virginia, then back to California, then to Louisiana, then to Singapore, then to Guam, and back to Louisiana. Every few years we go visit my sister in New Mexico. As a kid I used to spend a few weeks in the summer with my uncle in Mississippi. I went to at least 10 different schools. I actually got held back a year because I missed too much school while traveling & the teacher didn't tell me or my parents that I needed to complete up to a certain point in a workbook to move to the next grade. I could have easily done it, but I suspect the teacher disliked me. Probably because I was stubborn and liked to do things my own way and I was not afraid to tell someone if I thought something was wrong, unfair, or stupid.

Shoulder and arm are being particularly hateful today. I went to stretch and got a sharp pain running from my shoulder down to my elbow. Still helped mom move stuff around and do more sorting in her room. She's slowly getting stuff off of her bed so she has more room. If she keeps it up I'll actually be able to change her bedsheets. They desperately need to be changed and I know mice have been crawling on her bed. Once we get all the crap off her bed I can put up the rail she wanted on it to keep stuff from falling off the side (since she still intends to pile stuff on it).

Left my door open for the first time in days. Cats zerged in to pile on top of me. I got up and fed them so I could have some peace (they were in the way of me using my computer). One of the cats was trying to jump from a chair to a box directly in front of me, but I didn't see him in time. Bumped in to him so he fell and his back foot caught my leg with claws. I don't think he realized he scratched me. Two bleeding marks down my leg now. Too bad I didn't have the blood sugar meter out to check my sugar levels. LOL. I get scratches all the time but I have a needle phobia and can't stand to prick my finger to check my sugar. I also don't have my own meter or lance as I'm only pre-diabetic.

I was watching some How To videos trying to figure out how to make a custom tailor's dummy with arms and legs. Saw a bunch using plaster, some with duct tape or masking tape. Saw new forms of expanding foam that look pretty cool. There's stuff that can replace seat cushions and arm rests in vehicles. Make pillows or make soft props... Then I came across something where a guy showed how to shrink a mold or expand a mold using mineral spirits. He's got a dry sense of humor. You might like this one:

Mixing mineral spirits with one of the liquid parts (I think the catalyst) before combining will make a mold that can shrink as it dries over a period of days. Soaking the regular mold in mineral spirits will make it expand.

I've also been looking at images of desks for ideas on how to do the base of the sewing desk.

I live on a gravel road. Heard something along the edge of the roof and went outside to investigate.
There was a turkey in the driveway between my house and the neighbor.
I was 30 ft away from it and 10 ft away from me was a cat laying down in the gravel watching the turkey. We all stared at each other for a few minutes. Then the neighbors gold colored cat walked around the corner and started walking towards the turkey. The turkey would walk a few steps away and then circle back around towards the cat and the cat would pause, then the turkey would continue walking where the hell it wanted to. The cat just kept boldly walking towards it.
The turkey went around a tree two times and the cat followed.
Then the turkey started trotting across their driveway and across the yard and the cat sped up chasing it. As soon as the turkey stopped the cat stopped. I watch them for about 15 minutes. The turkey finally walked up the driveway around the corner and up the hill. The gold cat remained in the driveway having successfully defended his territory.
It was pretty funny to watch.

Last edited:
I cut then took my last rolls of carpet to the golf course and got them in their rooms. The end is nearing. I'll probably have at least a week left on this job. Hopefully I won't be asked to stretch in any rooms. I would hate this job to be inconsistent and have one or two of the rooms stretched in correctly.

Last edited:
If you think you're smart and gifted prepare to lower your head and go sulk in the corner.
This guy Leo decided to purchase a 111-year-old boat and restore it.
Not simply restore it but to actually replace every single part of this boat.
I have watched 8 or 10 of his videos.
This video shows his beginnings and initial purchase of the boat and up to where it is now. He's getting close to ready to transport the boat to another location to complete it which will take a few more years.
This is about a half hour long. It's unbelievable what this guy has accomplished.

One would think by room number 21, the quality would get better. 😁

Attachments

• PXL_20210621_224700082.jpg
    PXL_20210621_224700082.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 23
. 21 rooms or 21 years, it doesn’t matter to someone who is not detail oriented, that’s why Master high-up is making the seams 😆.....are you sewing or cool gluid? ?
I ain't sewing s*** 😁
Koolglide all the way along with my home built SeamerDownSomeday😁
Hopefully done by Tuesday.
Is this enough seam sealer?
By morning it's all soaked up and gone. It's a good 1/8 inch bead, but the material soaks it right in.

Attachments

• PXL_20210623_002932394.jpg
    PXL_20210623_002932394.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 16
When I use my SeamerDownSomeday, I typically use my 16 gallon Sears shop vac.
This job would have totally burned it up.
I had to pull out the big guns.
I modified one of my old dead Sears 16 gallon shop vacs to accept a commercial vacuum motor. This sucker hardly gets warm even with the SeamSuckerDownNow running, restricted for half an hour at a time.

Attachments

• PXL_20210529_222339284.jpg
    PXL_20210529_222339284.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20210529_222255688.jpg
    PXL_20210529_222255688.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 17
I wish I had your ingenuity, highup. I see things that I think "that could be used for something" but then I can't figure out what to use it for. Was looking at some old floppy disks and noticing the metal in the middle so now I'm wondering if I can use the metal for something.
Woke up in the middle of the night (Tuesday) unable to sleep because my shoulder was bugging me. Went into the bathroom and noticed it smelled bad. Lifted the seat and saw that my brother had done a number on it-- coated with s*** on the underside and all along the rim of the toilet. Not sure how he did it. Spent at least 20min deep cleaning it. I was nice enough that my Mom actually noticed and thanked me. Between my shoulder ache, kidney stone, and thunderstorm yesterday, I slept most of the day. Rain puts me right to sleep. I'm about to get a nap in even though it's morning. Tossed and turned all night. I will probably need to go to the grocery store since my brother ate all the lunch meat.

Zan, a friend of mine owns a janitorial business. I was working for him a few years ago and the job lasted at least a month. He's pretty frugal but appreciative. He'd give me little gifts now and then. A cheap pocket knife, another time of couple of quartz tubes that work really well for honing knife blades. He does janitorial work at Pacific Power and Light and some of the lighting fixtures that's a service have ceramic tubes as lighting elements. They're smaller but the same type that you might see in a toaster oven.
One time when I saw his rig parked outside of PP&l, I stopped into BS with him as he was buffing a floor.
He stopped and said I got you something and I followed him out to his van. He handed me a 13-in Clark floor buffer. He said happy birthday.
Now that knocked my socks off. It's a small buffer but it's fantastic for sanding floors and floor filler.
Okay back to the vacuum cleaner....
.... He gave me one of the commercial motors from one of his vacuums. They have three ears to fasten them to the vacuum canister and one ear had broken off. He bought a new motor for it and this was one of the little gifts that he gave me. I had already taken the motor out of my Sears shop vac so I could use the base for other purposes. I discovered with a little bit of carving in the plastic that this vacuum motor would fit right into the cavity where the old motor was. Well old Randy MacGyver decided about a year ago that this idea need to be completed. I bought a switch and a new appliance cord and the rest is history. These commercial motors aren't terribly expensive even if you buy them new. Mine didn't have any numbers on it to know exactly which model it is. Here's a new one this probably similar and probably the same brand.
https://www.centralvacuumonline.com/products/general/motors/motormodels/117549-lamb-ametek-motor/When running my Sears vacuum for long periods, the motor gets a lot warmer than these commercial motors. There are about 700 ft of seams on this job. My Sears vac would have croaked.
This is the first time I've really used my MacGyver vac. It has less volume or flow than the Sears vacuum but the suction is fairly close.

Its funny, I use to love to cook. Since kids/stay at home wife it has been a lot of not cooking for me.
Now when I have to eat for one and im home I just open a can of beans in molasses, cant even be bothered to heat it up and go to town.
.... I am regressing.

I love cooking myself but you are absolutely right, it’s hard to cook for just one person. We have a routine. One of us cooks dinner and the leftovers are my lunch the next day. Luckily I boiled up a chicken the other day and made some chicken salad. Just enough left over to take for lunch tomorrow. Throw some fruit in the ol lunch cooler and maybe a Gatorade or some bubbly and that’s about all I need. Looks like I’ll be stopping and getting some ribeyes for me n the dogs tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back