What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go Zanne
life is good.jpg

I dont know man, I realized how old I am just the other day when Spotify labeled all the music I liked as a kid as "Old-School Metal" I was heartbroken.

.... but I think I take your meaning.

LOL. Covered in cats is about right. They are piled on me right now. I had fuzz-brain all day (not related to cats). Charlie horses in my legs and feet. Need more potassium but my brother ate two bunches of bananas all by himself (he was getting bad charlie horses though). I've been forgetting to take my vitamins.

Friend messaged me & said his saw kicked back and broke his formica countertop. When we first got it, they only had 6' to go on a 5' counter. So we had to trim it. I offered to have it cut on my tablesaw back home. He declined. Mistake. He managed to cut the top but not the backsplash. Cutting it was such a pain he just left it sticking out and put stuff in front of it. He needed to cut it to put in the butcherblock stuff. But the saw kicked and it split where the backsplash meets the counter about 8" in and tore the formica. It's a pattern that is no longer for sale. So he might need to replace it.

He also wants to get a different larger sink. He saw one he liked at surplus warehouse. Speaking of that store, I was looking at the Unfinished cabinets section and saw that my review was the "most liked positive review". Also, they do have the microwave cabinets in stock (I think for $135-- which isn't bad for such a large cabinet) but not on the website.

I'm going to try to get up tomorrow to go see what I can do to help my friend with his counter & cabinet. I need to do the sealing and the painting.

Anybody else get large rooms that need a seam right down the middle? I've got hours into this seam. I never want to work with Shaw's "Lifeguard" backed carpet ever again. Stupid idea if I ever saw one. That was the carpet I showed a couple days ago with that pastel blue this screen like backing. It's a typical carpet with action back which has a layer of soft back applied, and then an additional layer of blue visqueen. How the hell do you seam that together?

The shop said use a low melt tape.
Next, someone said to peel the blue layer way from the edges where the seam tape will be.
Next I was told that would void the warranty.
So I I called Shaw Tech and the lady parroted exactly what I saw in am instructional video from Shaw. "Set your seaming iron to 3 or 3.5".
Is 3.5 what any of you would consider a low melt tape?
I told the tech lady I was using a cool glide seeming iron. It doesn't have a 3 and a 3.5 it has a high medium and low setting. After explaining that a few times she transferred me to another fellow who is much more helpful.
He told me not to use my version of the Seamerdown. He said a carpet weight would probably be better.
I told him my concerns about how the plastic backing was going to be affected by the seam tape and the heat.
This carpet is like four layers of material.
You have the primary back, adhered to the secondary back, which is adhered to the soft back, which is adhered to the plastic back which I called Visqeen.
....... The seam tape of course will adhere to the Visqueen like backing.
Just so freaking weird they have to come up with crap like this.
The rep told me that it would "probably" be best to set the cool glide seaming iron at its highest setting. 😱
That concerned me since initially I was told you were supposed to use a low melt tape. It's just crazy when you can't get absolute definitive answers from the company that manufactures the material. It was kind of one of those I think, or maybe you should, or just do a couple of tests first.....
Just saying that if someone says hi and someone says low I gets confused.
I did a few tests and decided to go for it.
I set the cool glide on the high setting and it actually worked out good.

Was quite happy with the end result. I guess I'll have to charge by the hour on this job. $600 comes to mind immediately.
The room is 19x19 at 19x28. There's approximately 35-ft tucks to the wood trim by the tile. This carpet got a four-way stretch. I couldn't see any other way than to stretch it in one direction, then reverse myself and snug it up the other direction. That was my starting point. From there I stretched it one direction to hook it on the tacks and then gave a full stretch the opposite direction. How many times did I pull my stretch apart and we're just the tubes you ask?
I think 320 thousand and 73 times....
...give or take 75.

This was a home I originally installed the carpet in in 2002. The new customer had received this home as a gift. The older fellow that I had originally installed the carpet for had no living relatives and discovered he had cancer. He made arrangements for this particular customer of his to take ownership of the home.
Local tax rolls put it over 500,000. In this real estate market I would bet you could double that because of this location..... end of the road with a view.
.....a dock
....a large shop.
I hope one of my customers remember me with such a nice gesture.
The large stone tile patio makes the place large enough you could probably hire The Little River band to play for a birthday party or some other special occasion.
It's less than 10 minutes to the beach from the time you start your car. It's about 10 minutes to drive into downtown. This isn't the end of a private road and that means no traffic.
I got to check my Powerball ticket.

Attachments

• PXL_20210918_233735630.jpg
    PXL_20210918_233735630.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20210918_233914003.jpg
    PXL_20210918_233914003.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210918_203543869.jpg
    PXL_20210918_203543869.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20210918_203600167.jpg
    PXL_20210918_203600167.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I didn't get to go to my friend's house. Mom was being pissy and didn't want me going anywhere for some reason. Friend was sick anyway. He's going to the doctor tomorrow. He wanted to go today but there was no one to watch the baby and he knows I don't babysit. So I'm hoping to pop in when I go to get mail tomorrow. I don't think he's going to work due to his massive headache. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with the blood clots. It's not Covid (he already got tested twice).

Found out one of my friends who got Covid recently is immune compromised.

Posted on reddit about the people who parked near my fence when I first moved here. Got over 800 likes thus far and some youtube asked if she could share the story on her channel.

Highup, I hate when you call about something and get conflicting info. It's one of my many pet peeves. I'm glad you got it to work.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle the gap on my friend's countertop now.
The formica part will be brought up level with the butcherblock but the side cut of the formica is jagged and will need to be hidden. Friend said widest gap is less than 1/4".
butcherblockgap1.jpgbutcherblockgap2.jpg

Just move the butcher block out an inch to cover the outermost edge of the formica. There aren't many options.
Route the edge of the butcher block to match the formica? ......ain't gunna happen.

Thanks, CJ. I'd been looking at a few products. I'll add that to the list of contenders. I wonder if they have it in a stainless steel look in that length. Might have to notch one end a bit to go around the backsplash on the formica and then secure it with doublesided tape.
1. https://www.amazon.com/InstaTrim-IT05INGRY-InstaTrim-1-Self-adhesive-Countertops/dp/B071DVHWZX/
2. Edge Supply Brushed Aluminum Stainless Steel 7/8" X 25' X 1mm Thickness Edgebanding Roll - Non Glued - Made in USA. - - Amazon.com (not sure how that would be secured though)
3. https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Supply-Plastic-flexible-Flexible/dp/B08M11C6TJ/

Highup, no intention of routing the butcherblock. Just want to hide the ugly gap.

The other day my friend said that his dryer stopped working. Turns out the plug had come loose, but then his water heater stopped working. I noted that I saw his outside breaker box had the door open. Sure enough, it had fried 3 breakers because rain got in. I suggested he tape the door shut with electrical tape to keep it from flying open. He can always pull it up when he needs to open it. I wonder if there's a way to use magnets though. Cost him $60 to replace the breakers.

I went into town and made it shortly before the post office closed. Turns out the sent Mom's insulin to the post office instead of the house. Ice packs had already melted. At least they had done some work on the road to try to smooth it out but it's still garbage. But easier to drive on. I couldn't spend long at my friend's house. I quickly sanded, cleaned, and put on a 2nd coat of oil on the butcherblock. I told my friend not to put food on it for 72 hours as it's not food safe until it cures (according to the mfr).

His gf's sister-in-law was crying so I asked what was wrong. Turns out their landlord just called them today and told them if they didn't pay rent for this month they only had until Oct 1 to get all of their stuff out of the rental unit or he's destroying it all when he has the place demolished. He didn't give them any written notice and the place is 4 hours away. The place was uninhabitable as of the 29th of August. He can't legally charge rent for a place that can't be lived in. He also said he won't be returning their security deposit. I had to explain to them how he has to give them written notice for both the property removal/eviction and he needs to give them an itemized list of damages and explain why he's keeping the security deposit. He's claiming he didn't have the place insured but I suspect he's lying. They thought that since he bought the place (and many other properties) from a previous owner that he didn't have the security deposit. I explained that when he bought the properties he also took on the liabilities and things owed to tenants. If he didn't work out a deal with the seller to be compensated for security deposits, that's his problem. He still has to pay them back if there is no damage. But apparently landlords here abuse tenants all the time this way. They can evict someone with only 5 days notice (not sure if that is legal, but they get away with it). I advised them to see an attorney. They are going to notify FEMA (who agreed to give them a loan) of the new development.

Z, you can find those stove trim pieces in Stainless as well as silicone. I though about getting them for my stove but haven’t pulled the plug on them yet. I don’t have a huge gap but it is definitely enough to get some crud in there over time if not careful.

Latest posts

Back