What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two more after I posted.
Decided to get productive. The store asked me to measure up a house for carpet. 25 miles away and made for a nice drive.
Discovered it was a place I'd carpeted 15 years ago.

Remember the battery going down on my Chrysler. Changed the starter relay because the starter would only kick in sometimes. Did a battery voltage check the last 3 day, 12.10 or above for three days. Bought a new meter. parasitic draw is only 20 mA. which is normal. Never heard of a starter relay sticking and draining a battery but, I have no other ideas. At least it seems to be fixed.

I wish I had some thoughts on the issues with the starter, but I never learned that much about vehicles. I wish I had.

I talked to my friend about my idea for a toilet riser and was thinking two pieces of 2x12s stacked on top of each other and then trimmed to fit would be good for the taller riser and I could do a 2x12 with two pieces of 1x6 next to each other on top of the 2x12 for the shorter one would work because the prices of other lumber are not good. I could then get an offset flange for my toilet because it's only 11-5/8" or so away from the wall and it needs 12" rough in (well, the center of the hole is only 11-5/8" away). Needs 1-5/8" space behind the base of the toilet. I think my previous toilet was less than 12" rough-in and the toilet tank hit the wall.

I need to get off my keester and pour more of the leveling mix out to fill in some pits on the sides so if I put down luan it will fit better. Need to price out the luan as well. I think it was over $20 a sheet here plus 10.45% tax. Need to see what other stores are selling it for or if it's worth driving an hour away to get it at a lower price. It's about $25 at Lowes. I'll have to calculate how many sheets I need for my bathroom floor.

Btw, is it terrible to put 1/4" plywood on top of old thin vinyl sheet? I can take the old stuff up, but am wondering if it would be ok to leave it.

Dad, is that you?

2F1E1636-9D4D-455F-A155-4BA06E14852D.jpeg

I wish I had some thoughts on the issues with the starter, but I never learned that much about vehicles. I wish I had.

I talked to my friend about my idea for a toilet riser and was thinking two pieces of 2x12s stacked on top of each other and then trimmed to fit would be good for the taller riser and I could do a 2x12 with two pieces of 1x6 next to each other on top of the 2x12 for the shorter one would work because the prices of other lumber are not good. I could then get an offset flange for my toilet because it's only 11-5/8" or so away from the wall and it needs 12" rough in (well, the center of the hole is only 11-5/8" away). Needs 1-5/8" space behind the base of the toilet. I think my previous toilet was less than 12" rough-in and the toilet tank hit the wall.

I need to get off my keester and pour more of the leveling mix out to fill in some pits on the sides so if I put down luan it will fit better. Need to price out the luan as well. I think it was over $20 a sheet here plus 10.45% tax. Need to see what other stores are selling it for or if it's worth driving an hour away to get it at a lower price. It's about $25 at Lowes. I'll have to calculate how many sheets I need for my bathroom floor.

Btw, is it terrible to put 1/4" plywood on top of old thin vinyl sheet? I can take the old stuff up, but am wondering if it would be ok to leave it.
Is that luan plywood really 1/4"?
I've seen that door skin type material that's like 3/16 thick. Total garbage with virtually no structure. It so thin, Staples can easily blow most of the way through it.

Tried a repair yesterday the drove back today with some 1 1/2" aluminium.
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
The worst repair, I wouldn't even attempt. Ladies dog had a habit of "digging" the carpet. It was a 2 foot by 3 foot irregularly shaped oval.
The backing had separated. No way was I going to cut in and experiment. It would have been a fishing trip, hoping I could locate where the backing was bonded securely. It was in an area I couldn't fold back for multiple reasons...... like an upright piano.
The edge here, had carpet desinigrating where Z-bar was used. What do you do, ....do a couple of 3" by 12" patches?
nope!
Flatbar it is.

Attachments

• PXL_20211204_215440762.jpg
    PXL_20211204_215440762.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20211204_215449769.jpg
    PXL_20211204_215449769.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 19
Highup, it says actual size is 1/4" and it's rated for use on floors (was listed as an underlayment for floor). I would need about 5 or so for my bathroom and mom's bathroom. I'll get 6 just to be on the safe side. Will have to practice with pneumatic staple gun on a scrap piece to make sure the pressure isn't too high. Pretty sure the staples won't go through the leveling stuff though.

I need to order the stuff and make sure it's not going to rain before I pick it up. They can have some set aside for me and I can check for damage or problems. If I don't like what they picked for me I can go grab other sheets. Of course, I could just go pick out what I want and buy it in store but it's faster to order in advance. I do need to see what they have on clearance though-- they had some 2x12s for $6 on clearance. Probably all gone by now, but I'll see if any are in stock next time I go there. Shouldn't be too long since I need milk from Samsclub. Mom decided she no longer likes the Walmart milk.

I popped in to check on my friend. He's happy with his new security camera. Can capture every time his grandfather rolls by to stalk him. He drives by at least 3x a day every day. Sometimes more. He rolled up around 11pm and laid on the horn the night before. Hopefully the preteen hooligans who were planning to attack his house will back off. Still don't know why kid who is on house arrest is allowed to wander around the neighborhood with a knife and threaten people & not get thrown back in juvie. He has an ankle monitor but apparently no one is monitoring him bc he's broken into at least 2 houses with it on.

Tried a repair yesterday the drove back today with some 1 1/2" aluminium.
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
The worst repair, I wouldn't even attempt. Ladies dog had a habit of "digging" the carpet. It was a 2 foot by 3 foot irregularly shaped oval.
The backing had separated. No way was I going to cut in and experiment. It would have been a fishing trip, hoping I could locate where the backing was bonded securely. It was in an area I couldn't fold back for multiple reasons...... like an upright piano.
The edge here, had carpet desinigrating where Z-bar was used. What do you do, ....do a couple of 3" by 12" patches?
nope!
Flatbar it is.
High, really nice job on the miters, thats one thing I couldn't do for crap.

Highup, it says actual size is 1/4" and it's rated for use on floors (was listed as an underlayment for floor). I would need about 5 or so for my bathroom and mom's bathroom. I'll get 6 just to be on the safe side. Will have to practice with pneumatic staple gun on a scrap piece to make sure the pressure isn't too high. Pretty sure the staples won't go through the leveling stuff though.

I need to order the stuff and make sure it's not going to rain before I pick it up. They can have some set aside for me and I can check for damage or problems. If I don't like what they picked for me I can go grab other sheets. Of course, I could just go pick out what I want and buy it in store but it's faster to order in advance. I do need to see what they have on clearance though-- they had some 2x12s for $6 on clearance. Probably all gone by now, but I'll see if any are in stock next time I go there. Shouldn't be too long since I need milk from Samsclub. Mom decided she no longer likes the Walmart milk.

I popped in to check on my friend. He's happy with his new security camera. Can capture every time his grandfather rolls by to stalk him. He drives by at least 3x a day every day. Sometimes more. He rolled up around 11pm and laid on the horn the night before. Hopefully the preteen hooligans who were planning to attack his house will back off. Still don't know why kid who is on house arrest is allowed to wander around the neighborhood with a knife and threaten people & not get thrown back in juvie. He has an ankle monitor but apparently no one is monitoring him bc he's broken into at least 2 houses with it on.
Zan, I had never heard of Luan plywood until I joinedthe flooring forums, many years ago.
If I could not find an underlayment grade quarter inch plywood then I settle for 3/8" AC plywood
High, really nice job on the miters, thats one thing I couldn't do for crap.
Thanks, I was really happy with the way it turned out. I used my 1990s era Makita chop saw with a tri-chip blade in it. I supported the edge of the metal with a strip of 8-in Masonite that I took along with me. If I hadn't shimmed up the metal so that it laid level while on the saw, the mighty wouldn't have turned out very well. In the shimmed position it was the same as it was going to be when installed on the carpet.

Hope everyone is feeling better than I am today. Allergies have kicked in to full gear & the mucus is not helping my stomach. I had to throw up early this morning. I took an extra (lower dose) allergy pill today to see if it helps.

The other day at my friend's house his gf's brother was cooking stuff I'm allergic to & it made me feel sick so I had to sit outside on the porch swing. When he found out why I went outside he came out to apologize to me. It's not like he did it on purpose though, so I told him we're good & not to worry about it.

I'm thinking of getting some super cheap thin plywood (thinner than the 1/4") for backing boards for my shower walls to add a little reinforcement to where the controls are, where shower head comes out, and also add some 2x10s between the studs to anchor grab bars into. I want to have the 2x10s in all of the bathrooms placed where grab bars might go for future upgrades (although, mom's bathroom will have grab bars asap).

I think I want one small grab bar in my shower just to grab when I'm washing feet/leg so I can hold on to something without falling. I've come close to falling several times in my friend's shower since there is nothing to grab, but his tub floor is slippery.

It looks like it's going to rain (or at least it's cloudy) and that makes me sleepy.

Finished up my prep work today for car freshener. What a pain in the ass that turned into!!

On the fly I ended up using about 50 bags of mapai self leveler with their primer. I have always used ardex so I was a little leery about another brand. I was pleasantly surprised. That shit isn't bad at all. And about half the price as the same size bag of ardex k15!! Not to mention readily available at the home center. I would definitely use it again when that time comes, for sure.
Well, back to the grind in the AM. Going on 17 days straight

I made myself get up to cook for Mom and then did some cleaning I'd been putting off. Feels good to have it done but I'm ready for a nap. Tomorrow I have to pick up prescriptions and get mail.

Damn, you really are riding that cash cow into the ground! Good man.

I'm trying to wrap up some commitments before Christmas. Taking the family to Florida for 3 weeks on the 26th to get some much needed r&r.
With people literally throwing money at me to get shit done before the holidays it's hard to turn things down. In a few cases I've thrown out some ridiculous numbers for work because I really don't want the job and don't have the time for it...... Then they happily agreed???
So at least I'm getting paid great for killing myself, lol

Cleaning up my woodshop, going to start making toys and chairs again. My wife started designing and making handmade jewelry.

I know wood isn’t cheap. Do you have a finger joint bit for your router? How about a million clamps? I’m pondering a finger joint bit myself.

Just wondering if you have a way to utilize smaller pieces of wood by turning them into bigger or longer pieces for some projects. I’ve seen places that will sell a box of scrap pieces for something crazy like $5. There’s a place here that has a bin out front with all kinds of random pieces for $2 each. That would be great if you could combine them into something bigger for a project.

I have a router table and a couple plunge routers, a Craftsman cabinet table saw with a Beisenmeyer fence, 2 band saws, 3 scroll saws, about 30 clamps, 2 drill presses, planer, jointer, stand belt sander, rotary spindle sander. I would love to have a lathe, but no place to put one. All those tools and I have not used them in a couple years. Last chair I started about two years ago is sitting there about 2/3 done.

I have a router table and a couple plunge routers, a Craftsman cabinet table saw with a Beisenmeyer fence, 2 band saws, 3 scroll saws, about 30 clamps, 2 drill presses, planer, jointer, stand belt sander, rotary spindle sander. I would love to have a lathe, but no place to put one. All those tools and I have not used them in a couple years. Last chair I started about two years ago is sitting there about 2/3 done.
I feel that way about all the bloody instruments I have. They have been sitting around for the past 8 years or so collecting dust. I started rebuilding my electric guitar in the hopes that it would incline me to play more, if ever I get done these stupid flashcoved wet rooms I have been working on for the past 6 months I am going to put a set of lace sensor golds in her. So far I am winning. I have been wailing on my sax some, tickling the ivory on my synth and banging away on my djembe every day for over a week now and as small as that might be, it is the first time in a long time. Hung my clarinet on the wall, turns out the cork on my mouthpiece is shot so I have to get around to repairing that.

Glad to hear you have made your mind up to get back out there man, it is a shame when on lives sometimes get in the way of our passions.

Latest posts

Back