What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year, last month, our gas bill was $48. This year, last month was $149. Yep, the Public Utilities Commission is a group of 5 persons appointed by our inept Guvnah Newscum.
If you can't beat 'em, invest in 'em:
NYSE

I have a buddy who's always ranting about the corporations exploiting us and making BAZILLIONS of dollars off this and that sleazy deal. Here's the crazy thing about that. They're pretty much all publicly traded so YOU CAN BUY IN if it's such a great windfall profits scheme. Utilities are pretty secure investments and the stocks typically pay a nice dividend on top of whatever capital appreciation.

Anyways, to that theme I'm getting over 5% return on some corporate bonds of Pacific Gas and Electric that mature in November. It's pretty close to zero risk.

That buddy of mine retired and instead of collecting a pension he cashed out and went ALL IN in the stock market and has made out like a bandit-------in comparison to having accepted the monthly annuity payment. SO I just take what he says with a grain of salt. He like to complain and point out social injustice all the while getting rich off the stock market. WTF?

My mother is more into the stock market/financial world. She used to keep up with that stuff, although I think she's lost interest.
Power went out last night. Not sure how long it was out but it was hot in here already but without fans it sucked. It came back on after the sun came up but I didn't check the time. I was just happy to have my fans blowing again. Still drenched in sweat though. I went outside to turn the shutoff that I suspected controlled the water trough. I was correct. It's now filling up. But it might as well have been a sauna outside. It's not raining anymore but there is so much moisture in the air. Sky is gray and icky.
Fed the kitties and they were happy-- although my oldest female went around slapping other cats away from food bowls so she could eat from the food bowls but decided she didn't want that food bowl and moved on to another. She's normally a very sweet kitty but she gets cranky with other cats. She really dislikes our largest cat and will bully him. He's twice her weight but is terrified of her.
I was going to do some cleaning in the living room today but the way my back and shoulder are feeling I might just take a rest day.

I hit a deer on the way to work.
It was pitch dark outside.
I pulled into a parking lot with lights, and to my surprise there was no damage. Just a little hair on the bumper. I was prepared to see the front of truck all messed up.View attachment 16036View attachment 16037

Got lucky man! My old lady nailed a deer in my Monte SS & absolutely destroyed my front end.
Glad there was no damage and you can keep on keeping on.

A deer ran into the side of the CRV when my brother was driving. Dented it and left some fur behind.

I had trouble sleeping bc of shoulder/arm pain. Used a heated wrap with vibration but it didn't help. Finally got to sleep after the sun came up and slept most of the day. Got up to feed mom and the cats. One of the cats kept coming up and tapping my face with her paw to insist I had to get up & feed her right meow.

Napped again and got woken up by a phonecall from a friend's ex. He was trying to drag me into the drama. Didn't want to accept that the relationship was over when she said it was and left (by his account it wasn't "official" until a few days later after he'd been stalking & harassing her and she re-iterated that they were done). Dude would not listen to anything I had to say. If I said anything he didn't want to hear he argued or just straight up ignored it. He's making it all about him. She left him bc he's a narcissist who makes everything about himself & she was tired of the emotional abuse. He says he's giving he space but he messages her every damn day. She finally blocked him. He yabbered on with his "poor me" routine and wanted me to lie to him & say he was right for about an hour. Afterward I got up and got more food for mom and brought in the bottled water. Feeling exhausted still.

I did also order some parts for my truck's tune-up. PCV valve, 6 ignition coils (hella expensive for my truck), & 6 spark plugs. Got the latter ones from rockauto.

I've watched videos so I figure I can change out the front ignition coils and spark plugs myself (if I have enough hand/wrist strength) and friend can get the back ones. although, he'd knock them all out faster than I could. Also need to order a cabin air filter and an engine air filter. I know those are both overdue. The price the dealership wanted for labor was insane. At least double the parts cost from what I recall.

I need to go to Samsclub soon to get more water and milk but I need to pick a day my brother has off so he can help me. Even if we both lift a case with our good arms it would be better than trying to lift cases with one good arm and one bad.

My wife hit a deer around Thanksgiving. Almost totaled it but suvs are going up in price now so we're fixing it. Trouble is the body shops are buried with so much work they can't fix it til the end of March. At least it's still drivable. Looking at getting another car now for a spare.

The finished project short of binding and backing.
1672963105180.jpeg

Whadda ya use for backing? Monk’s cloth?

That’s some nice work!

You ever try hand tufting? We dabbled in that a bit. Nice for jobs with high degree of intricacy like that one.

Attachments

• 963C7D96-1DBC-4C35-8DC1-DE31677A45AC.jpeg
    963C7D96-1DBC-4C35-8DC1-DE31677A45AC.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Was going to finish an apartment for my uncle today, but got called to the store because they needed sq footage on a two story duplex.....  today.
I was given miniature blueprint copies, with print too small to read. Once enlarged enough to barely read them, the lines showed me the dimensions and locations of doors windows and other stuff. The prints had total measurements for the length and width of the building and dimensions from inside window dimensions, door dimensions all the kind of crap I don't need. 😖
I just compiled measurements and wall distances, then added them together then multiplied them to come up with some sort of number. Pretty much like going outside of a house and measuring the length and width and multiplying it. I had an engineers scale, architect scale, millimeters scale, nothing met up with the dimensions on the paper. If the building had been constructed I could subtract cabinets and walls and stuff like that. I definitely measured too much material but by how much? I'm guessing the best thing to do is add 7% and call good. 😁
When I measure an existing home I draw up my own blueprints and it shows the floors, wall locations and cabinets...... Not Windows, not garage doors, not porches.
I hate blueprints especially when I can't ask anyone questions about what's on them.
Well we got two bedrooms done, finished removing carpet in the living room dining room area and got the floor rescrewed to the joists. The floor made a lot of noise so my uncle asked us to add screws to get rid of the clunking sound, which was everywhere. Much, much better but it also helped to put some long screws at an angle through the interior wall plate, down into the floor joists.
There is no base installed so putting some holes in the sheetrock didn't hurt anything, but it helped get rid of some additional clunking sounds.

Last edited:
Sounds like they gave you the wrong page of the blue prints. Ask the architect for the finish schedule if there is one. They should be able to send you an electronic version so you can print out only what you need.

Last edited:
Went to get some gas and wash my van this morning. Gas prices must officially be down again because the pump shut off on me at $100. Haven’t had to deal with that annoyance for quite some time and it’s been nice.

Whadda ya use for backing? Monk’s cloth?

That’s some nice work!

You ever try hand tufting? We dabbled in that a bit. Nice for jobs with high degree of intricacy like that one.
I don't really care for the monks cloth. Most times it is nonskid or the felt. I went to Nat'l rug scool back in the 90's and llater they offered a free class to people that had been in their school so I tried the tufting machine. It is not as easy as you think and was told only a small per centage of the people would be able to get the hang of it. Besides the cost of the yarn[wool] at the time was very expensive, and not a profitable thing to me. In the 3 days of the class I made a 2' square with a blue blob in the middle. I guess the guns that I see on ebay for a couple hundred you can use regular knitting yarn.

Yep, I have blueprints for figuring only to learn they changed something.
Yep, people are always changing stuff. Best to double check to make sure you have the latest revision. And let them know which revision you based your figures on so you’re covered. I used to always say “I’m good but I can’t read minds.”

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back