What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CJ, I'm glad you got the bathroom fixed up. Mine has been a construction zone for waaay too long.

I've been meaning to get a dashcam. Although, as I mentioned, they won't allow people to bring dashcam footage into the court-house to show bc of all the corruption here.

So, as I suspected, the compressor for my AC unit is toast. Unit was made in 2009 and I can't find replacement compressor for it online. Don't even know where to look. And I was just reading that the outside unit has to be paired pretty much exactly with the inside unit for both to work well together. AC guy wants to sell me a new condenser unit but I've been reading that if they don't match well enough it can start a house fire. Might have to replace the entire setup-- including the inside unit. I really do not want that to happen. Guy doesn't even get the same brand name AC.

Anyone know much about this or how to figure out what outside unit matches my inside unit?
This is the info on my inside unit: View attachment 16412
and this is my outside unit (the XB 13) part got cut off bc I was getting tangled in blackberry vines.
View attachment 16413
Any ideas?
I was told the same thing about my commercial roof top units. New units are not compatible with the old handlers. Only way around it is to find someone with an old unit still in stock…. Good luck. I was told about this six year ago and bought an extra outdoor unit…My H-VAC guy told me that thing is gold…You’re not gonna find them anymore… All bout the new “environmentally safe” refrigerants they’re using. Not sure about smaller residential compressors but from what you’re saying it sounds like the same thing….

New freezers are the same deal. They use propane as a refrigerant… you can still find commercial freezers that run on the old 404a refrigerant but those are big bucks…. So is the refrigerant if you need a repair.

I would check with a few different AC guys before you give up.

Last edited:
We are supposed to get any where from 8-15 " of snow tonight. I just went out and got my snow blower cleaned of and started to get ready. But that snow that we have gotten so far is almost pure water. I doubt if the machine will push it out the chute without plugging it up.

I think this was made in Oregon.
My stair carpet customer has this behind his shop. Cast chromolly, not cast iron.
He also had this odd section of railroad track.

Attachments

• PXL_20230304_215650125.jpg
    PXL_20230304_215650125.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230304_215708914.jpg
    PXL_20230304_215708914.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 0
Highup, that looks like a royal pain to work with on those stairs. I actually hate the stairs that have the empty gap between steps instead of something filling the rise. Seems like too much of a tripping hazard to me. I also just don't like the look.

Daris, I hope you don't get trapped at home with the coming storm and that you stay warm.

The new AC repair guy does not seem enthused about me wanting to get another Trane unit. Mine is so old I might have to get the newer units but Trane refuses to give any info to customers. I will have to see if I can get in touch with the original installer and find out if he can still get Trane units. If not, I might get a different brand and replace the inside unit. I think last time it was under $5k to replace both, but probably higher now. I hope the other place that sells Trane units will get back to me this week. At least it cooled off a little, but its still hot in the kitchen and living room.

I felt like garbage this morning. Couldn't sleep last night bc Mom had a panic attack and had me worried. She walked into the kitchen without her cane and was screaming for help like something was attacking her or something was wrong. Turns out she just felt cruddy and was panicking about it and crying and stuff. I had to pull up a chair for her (which she could have done herself as she was right near it but she was panicking) and got her something to eat and then helped her to her room. I checked on her every hour after that. My stomach didn't like something I ate so that didn't help. Got her some soup later on and then in the afternoon I started working on my bathroom again. Got furring strips up, got some 1x4s in place. I need to do some more shimming on the sides to make everything plumb, but I'm taking a break for now.

What snow, it's outside of it.
The center of the carport looks whiteish. It looked like some of it made it inside.
Have you zoomed in on the first image. In the dark and background area, it shows you standing at a doorway and I'm trying to figure out how that picture came to be. Pretty freaky. A reflection no doubt...... just pondering how.

For me it was the 2nd image. I'm wondering how the reflection was created as well.

Today I went to Samsclub & fought the urge to strangle my brother. So, the only things he's supposed to do in the house: take out the trash & help with picking up and bringing in cases of water. Officially his only chore is taking out trash-- that includes picking it up if it spills or overflows. Well, he doesn't do it. He also wasn't helping with the water cases until my doctor said I couldn't do any heavy lifting. But he's been sporadic about it. Anyway, I had removed a full trash bag from the can by myself (which involved heavy lifting) and asked him days ago to haul the bag out as I couldn't get it to the door. I put in a new bag (which is already full and overflowing). He procrastinated on it and today as we were heading out to samsclub I asked him to take out the bag. So, he carried it out and as he was coming out the door he started lecturing me and saying "This is unacceptable! Absolutely unacceptable! I'm having to step over trash and go through bottlenecks! Unacceptable!" Mind you, the bottleneck he was talking about is where the pieces of his new desk are sitting unassembled waiting to be taken to his room. The metal parts are too heavy, otherwise I would have chucked it in his room. He didn't outright say that he blamed me for it, but I know he was thinking it. I wanted to tell him that if he has a problem with it he should clean it up himself as he's got two hands and is capable of picking things up. I decided to hold my tongue because I knew he'd have a tantrum and refuse to go with me to help get the water cases. My back is not cooperating with me and started going out last night while I was cooking so I wasn't up to lifting cases. He still didn't help me at all with the 25lb sacks of cat food and actually moved the cart away from me on purpose when I was trying to put stuff into it - just to be a jerk. He's 43 years old and won't even pick up after himself. It's like living with an overgrown toddler. He just throws trash on the floor instead of taking the bag out and putting a new one in.

My petty revenge was to have him lift all the water cases and then load up all of the groceries into the truck while I sat in the driver's seat with the heated seat on. He was crabby about it and bitched the whole time. I did help with some stuff but he would not stop his bitching. He calmed down a little after eating. I also let him carry in most of the groceries (although he didn't get the water cases or the cat food). He only brought in the cold stuff, which I put away.

I've been trying to tweak the back wall behind my tub to get it plumb. Still a bit off in some spots. If I had it to do over again I would have added new studs in the walls and sistered on pieces of 2x4 to make it plumb/even with the tub flange. But that ship has sailed and some of the screws won't come back out. So, I have to work with what I have. Its good on the right side, good over the center right. Gets a little off on center left and then is off more on the left. Trying to figure out the best way to tweak it. It's better lower down than it is up high. I'm thinking of using wood putty to fill in some dips that won't have screws go through. If I get all of the spots where screws will go plumb, it should be easier to manage. The lower cement board will likely be easier to work with than the higher one. My friend said he'll make time this week to help me.
This is the most recent pic I took (although I've since added a few more of the 5 gallon paint sticks as shims).
1678221254201.png

Latest posts

Back