What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had water and where it came in at I don't kno, but it came in fast as I checked the basement because I had water last Friday due to a down spout being plugged.But this water came in fast as it wasn't there 15 minutes before. My sump pump is in the opposite side of the basement. water never got to that point but was headed to the floor drain on that side also. But after a lot of vacuuming and squeegeing we got it. And I went out and dug all the leaves out of the window well. Then it drained. I got ahold of the builder that put the window. in and he said ya keep it clean but to rake and stir up the p rock as it gets clogged with dirt and debris and don't drain properly.
Sump pump is almost continually running.

On a new house, someone shit in the bathtub and I had to put vinyl on the floor. The smell was awful.

That wasn’t so uncommon of a thing to run across. Multi family on the upper floors it was almost guaranteed that a tub was used instead of someone(s) hiking down 5 flights of stairs to use a nasty porta john. You’re lucky if they only used ONE tub.

If it was really bad in a bathroom I would refuse to do that room until the problem was taken care of. I would go find the GC and bring him to the bathroom and show him exactly why it was that I wasn’t going to work in that room until the mess was cleaned up.

Funny thing with GC’s was that it was never a problem with people shitting in the tub until a builders schedule gets jacked around because of someone shitting in a tub. The GC would pound his fist and maybe threaten to fire a specific crew but the next building comes around and blamo, someone shit in the tub again.

I got my phone case and then got hit with bad fatigue. Could barely stay awake. I'm getting some energy back now. Rupert has been obsessed with sitting on me constantly. I was out of the room cooking for Mom so he followed me and he climbed on my shoulder when I stopped to pet him. I took a few pics of cats with my new phone. I cropped them because they are pretty high res.
My oldest cat Boo and then Senator Snugglebum was on the cat tree in front of the lacquer and mother-of-pearl inlay panels from Vietnam.
1681100940866.png1681100958288.png

We spent Easter weekend.......and our 34th anniversary with our son and his girlfriend in La Jolla, CA. When we first came to CA on a vacation in the early '80s we spent a week here and frankly it may be the most beautiful place I've ever been. So in 2023 there's a lot more.............everything. But it's still a really ideal place to visit and live IF you could afford it.

Believe it or not my son is going to buy a house here.........$2M is a modest home. We'll help them out under the condition that they get married. My wife is really leaning on my sons to pump out some grandchildren. So that's kind of part of an unwritten contract.

So far as long as I've known her that women gets what she wants.

we first came to CA on a vacation in the early '80s we spent a week here and frankly it may be the most beautiful place I've ever been.

That’s funny. Small world. I lived in Ca. Late 70s early 80s. I also visited La Jolla in the early 80s. I also though it was the most beautiful place I’d ever been. I also wanted to live there…. Alas it was not meant to be….

That’s funny. Small world. I lived in Ca. Late 70s early 80s. I also visited La Jolla in the early 80s. I also though it was the most beautiful place I’d ever been. I also wanted to live there…. Alas it was not meant to be….
I ran the numbers on home prices then and what our unions (teacher and floorlayer) were paying and it didn't add up. Of course, in retrospect I should have sold everything I had, beg, steal........borrow money from the mafia and buy as much house as I could get in 1987.

I found out later that there wasn't much of a union down in San Diego so I would have no doubt gone independent or worked nonunion. I did envision myself independent but just kind of slipped back into the union racket. It was nice to be HOME nearly 90% of the time by 3PM and not HAVE to work weekends so much. All that was in the calculations. How was I to know how San Diego real estate market--------especially it's PRIME area like La Jolla-------would play out.

Of course, in retrospect I should have sold everything I had, beg, steal........borrow money from the mafia and buy as much house as I could get in 1987.
Yea that would have worked well in a lot of places on Long Island too. The Hamptons, the north fork, Montauk.... Anyone who was smart enough to invest in real estate in the 80s is sitting pretty now... I wasn't... :(

There is still opportunity to make money in real estate but it’s gonna be somewhere else that hasn’t blown up yet. Are you willing to move?
Sure, and it helps if you know what area that's gonna be. Any tips?

I did a carpet job for a guy in his office a while back. It was in a broken down section of Brooklyn. Dilapidated buildings everywhere. He told me not to worry too much, it was all getting ripped down in a few years. I didn't pay much attention. That area is now known as Dumbo. High end waterfront real estate.... He knew....

A bunch of billionaires got together and bought up all the land dirt cheap. Invested a few billion fixing it up and turned it all into prime real estate. Value of the land increased ten fold within a few years... It helps to know...

There is still opportunity to make money in real estate but it’s gonna be somewhere else that hasn’t blown up yet. Are you willing to move?
I don't need to move.

I agree there's opportunity in real estate, stocks, commodities...........even bonds.
But you might not be aware that while IN THE LONG RUN all these sorts of investments should work out for you better then hiding your cash under the mattress at the same time there are instances in recorded history-------not even all that rare--------where any and all of these sorts of investment choices go nowhere for multiple generations. Check it out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back