What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I layed out vinyl tarps and unrolled a 13 by 36 foot woven carpet in the driveway of the main level of a home. 3 of us rolled the carpet up lengthwise the tied it with webbed strapping as we awaited 2 additional men. Once they arrived, we centered a carpet cart about10 feet from one end, and lifted the rest of the carpet with one person at each strap, then carried the carpet about 200 feet down the second driveway like the long and expensive snake that it was, and once arriving at the doorway to the room, made a 180 degree turn to lay the carpet in the center of the room.
Carpet was a cut pile woven and it was heaaaaaavy Would have been nicer with 2 additional bodies so we could have carried it on our shoulders, making like a millipede.
My hernia has a hernia, but at least it's in the room. It's a one piecer, but being a woven, I'll be happy if I can get it done tomorrow.

I layed out vinyl tarps and unrolled a 13 by 36 foot woven carpet in the driveway of the main level of a home. 3 of us rolled the carpet up lengthwise the tied it with webbed strapping as we awaited 2 additional men. Once they arrived, we centered a carpet cart about10 feet from one end, and lifted the rest of the carpet with one person at each strap, then carried the carpet about 200 feet down the second driveway like the long and expensive snake that it was, and once arriving at the doorway to the room, made a 180 degree turn to lay the carpet in the center of the room.
Carpet was a cut pile woven and it was heaaaaaavy Would have been nicer with 2 additional bodies so we could have carried it on our shoulders, making like a millipede.
My hernia has a hernia, but at least it's in the room. It's a one piecer, but being a woven, I'll be happy if I can get it done tomorrow.
Oh boy! Can we get pics? Not of the hernia though.

I loaded up the truck that already had 300 sf of old laminate in it with my old tile saw, weight lifting thing, old TV plus assorted pallets to the dump. Ahh, it was a fun day at the dump.

Oh boy! Can we get pics? Not of the hernia though.
For sure, this is s family website. :D
Photos would probably be boring with the lighting and my crappy camera, but I'll give it a shot. The room is 13 by 35 and one end has cabinets with 3 3/4" deep(toe kicks). for 22 feet down one long side, it has 3 Murphy beds with cabinets on each side of them (more toe kicks) There's a 3 1/2 by 5 foot stone entry to tuck into, and 2 more doorways to fit to. On the bright side, there's one long side, 30 feet long, to start against. The 1 by 6 base boards are 3/8" off the floor inch will help a lot. You'd love this job Ern, it's on concrete.;)

Reminds me of sofbac. Took 4 of us to carry in a 12 x 24. I hope you are charging a lot.

Started my treatments today..
20190430_181220.jpg

Reminds me of sofbac. Took 4 of us to carry in a 12 x 24. I hope you are charging a lot.
The shop never gives me a work order. Have no clue what they pay average Joe's for wovens. The contractor wanted me.
I measured the job for them. (not rocket science) I have $230+ in floating out where the old an new concrete slabs meet. I used 50 lbs of self leveler and two 10 bags of floor patch to float out the slab transition. That was a T&M deal.
At $10 per yard the job only comes up to $530 ish. I can't find my hours for tack stripping and padding and just getting that record setting anaconda into the room. I bought $20 in plastic sheeting to unroll the carpet on in their driveway. I didn't want pine and fir needles on this $100/yd woven.
30 feet of the room was tackstrip nailed with a toe kick bar and adhesive. The new part of the slab wasn't as bad to nail as the old stuff....................... like nailing into a steel plate. :mad:

Last edited:
Here's the room.
Murphy beds and the cabinets are walnut. I was not about to scratch anything on this job. My brother and I installed flooring in this home when it was first built in the mid 80's. This is just the 3rd owner. New owner is a dentist. Very cool people. The lady gave us a tour of the place yesterday and showed us what was original and what modifications they have made.
My brother's self coved vinyl laundry room, after 30 years, looks like it was done yesterday. Prety cool to see this place again. The laundry room has lots of outside corners......... It was Corlon, Brigantine or maybe Palestra. Glad it wasn't me. I hated cove work.
Anyway, back to this room.
The woodwork was super nice, so I fit strips of poster board onto all the vertical parts of the cabinetry . On the horizontal parts I used blue tape. Worth the effort as it all went well.
Second phot0 shows the carpet up the cabinets. I already had it stretched right to left, then left to right. In the 35+ foot length I got around 1 1/2 inches. So stretching the width was next.
I found that width-wise it was easier to trim the carpet first,
(you can see the piece I had just trimmed off, laying across the stretcher head) Anyhow, trim the finished edge 1/16 to 1/8" or so long, then stretch it and tuck it in. Hey, since it stretches less that 1/8 of an inch, so why not just trim it first without the stretcher head in the way? Worked fer me! :D
Next is the finished room looking from the stone entry doorway towards the hallway.
Last is the view from the hallway towards the entry doorway.

Attachments

• 1328-00.jpg Mask everything 500.jpg
    1328-00.jpg Mask everything 500.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1257-02Carpet up cabinets 500.jpg
    1257-02Carpet up cabinets 500.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 319-00Trim before stretching 500.jpg
    319-00Trim before stretching 500.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 1555-00Finished towards hall 500.jpg
    1555-00Finished towards hall 500.jpg