What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My drive is 6-6.5 hours from Lancaster, Pa. to Plainfield, Ma. Peppermint Park. I think 8 days camping is $320. The club gets an additional $60 for the support items like speaker tent rental, propane, coffee, etc.

Not bad for 8 nights.

Www. Rocklandastronomy.org

I have a Celestron C-9.25 on a Losmandy G11 German equatorial mount. The drive system is a Gemini 2.
My imaging setup costs roughly $6000 and has a separate color filter wheel, a fine focused, rotator, and 2 cameras.

I need 44 lbs. of counterweights.

If you can get a campsite, we will be up there from 7/26 to 8/4.
I never got serious with the astro stuff, but I did look seriously at scopes for a while. I was actually more serious about a decent equatorial mount when the Comets came buy, but way past my budget. On my camping/photo tips into the local hills, I always camped on old logging landings and as high up as I could get so I had a good view of the stars and sunrises. Locally here on the coast we get a lot of foggy or unclear skies. 20 to 30 miles inland and 1500 to 4000 feet and the skies were always clear.
I've never understood the process of digital astro photography and taking tens or dozens of images and stacking them. I understand the reason for filtering, but wouldn't have a clue how that's done for astro photos either.
...........they took my Kodachrome away .....and that's the day, my music died. o_O
I had $3500 or more in my photo equipment. Digital anything just got too expensive because I wanted the equivalent in digital lenses that I had in film lenses. Telescopes became more of a dream.

Last edited:
I never got serious with the astro stuff, but I did look seriously at scopes for a while. I was actually more serious about a decent equatorial mount when the Comets came buy, but way past my budget. On my camping/photo tips into the local hills, I always camped on old logging landings and as high up as I could get so I had a good view of the stars and sunrises. Locally here on the coast we get a lot of foggy or unclear skies. 20 to 30 miles inland and 1500 to 4000 feet and the skies were always clear.
I've never understood the process of digital astro photography and taking tens or dozens of images and stacking them. I understand the reason for filtering, but wouldn't have a clue how that's done for astro photos either.
...........they took my Kodachrome away .....and that's the day, my music died. o_O
I had $3500 or more in my photo equipment. Digital anything just got too expensive because I wanted the equivalent in digital lenses that I had in film lenses. Telescopes became more of a dream.

What part of the country are you in?

I've done a couple of images experimenting to see if I could show the color of brighter stars near the horizon when they "twinkle" like police car lights in the rear view mirror. :eek:
This was from moving the Flintstone tracker diagonally at high speed. I have one somewhere doing a hand held moving in a figure 8..... haven't scanned that one, but it looks like a colored ribbon.

Attachments

• Diagonal colored star trail-05 contrast 600.jpg
    Diagonal colored star trail-05 contrast 600.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 27
I'm a South Philly Italian living in Lancaster County amongst the Amish and Mennonites.

I think there's a Paul Simon song for that!

Any east coast guys in this group?

That's a bit far for me Tom. Tho even living on the west coast, I can occasionally see Russia from my house with a reflection off a good cirrostratus inversion layer. :D

Yup, ...........they took my little yellow boxes away, O-yea. Sad day in history. Only Kodak could develop it.

People in Washington want Seattle to leave too.
Big cities have the largest infections. Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York.
Oregon is a virtual forever blue state. Not so on an election map. Most of the state by far is rural (people that work) Portland, our capitol is in Multnoma county. It, to me, is a part of pie in the sky California. They are eco freaks and mass transit dreamers bent on chasing business out of the state for the sake of feeling good about caring. .....about something. o_O

Here's a map or Oregon's 2016 election results.
Look at the red in this blue state. Farmers, ranchers, loggers and fishermen, don't matter in Oregon.

https://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president/oregon/

Two counties make up 408,000 votes and they overwhelmingly voted for Hillary.
There were 2 million voters.

You guys look at this Oregon map next time you think of wanting a popular vote in national elections.
Would you like 2 counties out of 36 deciding how you lived? For Oregon, that means people in more than 30 counties shouldn't have wasted their time voting, because it wouldn't have mattered.
In those two counties, there aren't loggers, there aren't fisherman, there aren't farmers or ranchers................... just super smart young city dwellers that hear the trees cry and the fish cry and the cattle and ears of corn cry when they are harvested............ idiots rule the state.

......back on track:
Oregon started a "motor voter" registration thingy and in 2016, 270,000 new drivers were automatically registered to vote. They had no choice. They didn't have to care, nor even be informed............... they, without any intelligent thought or effort were able to vote on a whim thanks to the state.
In Oregon we vote by mail only, so it's easy for the young, the unintelligent and uninformed zombies to vote. Liberals like that, because "free" is a great thing to hear coming out of a politicians mouth. :rolleyes:
Signing up new young drivers is good for the liberals also..... skulls full of mush that have never had a job, never paid property or gas taxes, or registration fees are easily molded into the beliefs of the politician repeating over and over, the word "free"............. That in a nut shell is why my state........ the deep blue state of Oregon decided to make voting, vote by mail, and to automatically sign up new drivers....... they are young and ignorant by the most part and it works to keep Oregon blue. I was moldable ..........once.;)

...........and other than complain like my previous rant, I put in 4 boxes of Coretec today in a 10 by 12 dining room. Had it's complexities, but I prevailed. Had 5 hours into it for $250. Only expenses were $5 to $8 in fuel. Not far from home.
I had an hour yesterday prepping and getting the first row fit................. no electricity yet :eek:
I had my table saw at another job 3 miles away, so I drove over there twice to make the long cuts on the first and last rows. End cuts snap really clean with a deep score from a utility knife......................... and no saw dust.
Tomorrow time to get moving on my 140 yard carpet job ...............on concrete. "barfing"
The owner is 89 years old and he just added a new rig to his collection. The 515hp Dodge pickup wasn't enough............ so he got a Dodge Super Bee. With the new Whipple twin blower and it's putting out 800 HP...... Now he just got a late 60's Dodge A100. Orange with Coke bottle mags and a blown 360. :nodding:
Wow, so funny. I was Googling images just to show you sort of what it looked like, but this is actually the one he bought
. It came from back east somewhere and it arrived on a transport a week or so ago, 100 miles away on interstate 5 on the west coast.
The fella told me yesterday that it sounds mean. ........nasty mean. I suppose if it has a blower and a carburetor, it's old school, so he isn't kidding. It's having a front end alignment and getting an overall checked out right now. I saw it last Sunday in his garage, but can't wait to hear this nasty Mopar running. Have no idea the HP. Guessing 400 to 500? Don't have a clue.
....what are you old geezers here going to be doing when you are 89?
15405013-1967-dodge-a100-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Put first coat of poly on stairs. Also wiped down skirt boards on sides of stairs with a rag dipped in stain. It filled the scratches and left the wood clean. For some reason the stain didn’t transfer to the walls. Now I know how to clean the rest of the baseboard in the house.

Also bought a unique brush. It’s 3/4 inches square. I used it for the stair nose and the trim underneath. Works great!

3 coats on risers. 4 coats on treads. I’m done painting.

I’ll wait till after vacation before installing them.

Attachments

• 49DC19F8-80A4-469F-AFF3-D9615B166F0C.jpeg
    49DC19F8-80A4-469F-AFF3-D9615B166F0C.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 22
Highup, I think I'll mention the memory issues the next time I have an appointment bc if I mention it when she's in the room she'll get mad & argue. She's also been forgetting words or names. She keeps calling the dog by my brother's name. She also can't remember the names of our cats or identify which cat is which (but we do have 16 of them).

Today I got up early & went out to fix the outside water faucet that got broken when a tree fell. I put together the part with the spigots while I was on the porch, cut the pipe to length, got everything prepped, cut off the pipe below the shutoff (it was broken just at the top), cleaned it, got jabbed & scraped by thorns on the weeds (I think they are blackberry bushes), glued it all together & wasn't happy with the lack of stability. I waited two hours to turn the water back on then went into town to stop at the post office, then up to HD to get something I found online-- a hose holder that has a pole that stakes into the ground with a stabilizer. Got some pipe insulation, all weather tape, & a machete (not sure where my old one went-- I think someone might have stolen it). Machete took out some of the weeds but not all. I got the pipe wrapped & plunked the post into the ground. I'm not happy with the positioning but I didn't think of a better spot until afterward. In the brief time I was out there I got totally soaked with sweat & got more thorns in my arms & hands.

Then I jabbed my toe on something sharp sticking out of the bottom of my box spring. Can't quite figure out what it is though. Felt like the tines on a plastic fork but was sturdier.

I'm going to go adjust the post later. The cool thing is, it has a hose holder on it so I can rest the hose on it. It's a little short but will do the job. The guy at HD gave me three zip ties for free to hold the post to it but they wouldn't reach with the way I have it set up-- so I'm going to move it.

Mom just paged and wants food.

Highup, I think I'll mention the memory issues the next time I have an appointment bc if I mention it when she's in the room she'll get mad & argue. She's also been forgetting words or names. She keeps calling the dog by my brother's name. She also can't remember the names of our cats or identify which cat is which (but we do have 16 of them).

Today I got up early & went out to fix the outside water faucet that got broken when a tree fell. I put together the part with the spigots while I was on the porch, cut the pipe to length, got everything prepped, cut off the pipe below the shutoff (it was broken just at the top), cleaned it, got jabbed & scraped by thorns on the weeds (I think they are blackberry bushes), glued it all together & wasn't happy with the lack of stability. I waited two hours to turn the water back on then went into town to stop at the post office, then up to HD to get something I found online-- a hose holder that has a pole that stakes into the ground with a stabilizer. Got some pipe insulation, all weather tape, & a machete (not sure where my old one went-- I think someone might have stolen it). Machete took out some of the weeds but not all. I got the pipe wrapped & plunked the post into the ground. I'm not happy with the positioning but I didn't think of a better spot until afterward. In the brief time I was out there I got totally soaked with sweat & got more thorns in my arms & hands.

Then I jabbed my toe on something sharp sticking out of the bottom of my box spring. Can't quite figure out what it is though. Felt like the tines on a plastic fork but was sturdier.

I'm going to go adjust the post later. The cool thing is, it has a hose holder on it so I can rest the hose on it. It's a little short but will do the job. The guy at HD gave me three zip ties for free to hold the post to it but they wouldn't reach with the way I have it set up-- so I'm going to move it.

Mom just paged and wants food.
What state are you in? I forgot.

Latest posts

Back