What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's supposed to rain here on Monday but Tuesday is supposed to be sunny. My friend's fiance just found out she's pregnant & if her cardiologist will see her tomorrow, I'll take her up there. He said if she got pregnant to contact him immediately so they can monitor her heart & make sure she's ok. It's not a good time for them to be having a kid & I don't think she's ready, but I'm hoping she'll mature & handle it well. She's already bipolar so the mood swings are not going to be fun for anyone. I wish I could consider it good news, but I think she shouldn't be having kids at all much less at her age & during a time when her fiance is really struggling financially. It's also dangerous for her due to her heart condition so I'm worried about her health. This state has the highest infant mortality rates and is in the top 5 for maternal mortality rates.

On the upside, I finally got all 4 bolts through the pet door. I had to step back & think through a strategy. Good thing I had extra bolts that weren't bent. The 3rd bolt went through the outer half, through the door, but wouldn't line up with the hole on the inner half of the pet door. I managed to see where it was coming out and how off it was. Then I wallowed out the plastic on the outer half so I could angle the bolt properly to go through. That worked. The last bolt was a real pain though. It was the hole I'd had to redrill a few times & the foam inside had fallen away too much so the bolt didn't just go straight through, it moved around a lot before reaching the end. It had too much wiggle room inside but not enough wiggle room at the ends. I used a "new" bolt for that one. Had to run it through the wrong way first to see if it would even go, then wallowed the plastic a bit with the drill bit. Ran a drill bit through the hole to clear out debris in the way & test to see if there were obstructions. I used a flashlight to look through the holes to see if there was a clear path. Once I saw that the bolt could go through the wrong way, I put it through the right way & found that the end was crowning at the hole but not going through. I had to prop the door on it's side so I could see both sides easily. I had clamps to hold things tight together to make it easier. When I tried to use the screwdriver to turn the bolt through the final hole it wouldn't go, kept slipping out of alignment. So I resorted to a mallet to tap it through & that worked. I now have all 4 bolts secured with washers, but I'm concerned they will slip into the holes and come loose over time so I got some washers to use under them. Once I have it on tight with the washers, I'll put the caps over the holes on the outer half of the door, trim the ends of the bolts to be flush with the nuts, cover them with white duct tape, and caulk around the pet door with door & window caulk.

I'm really going to have to do something about fixing up my workshop because the exterior is in bad shape. Roof is leaking, outside wall on the barn side is busted open, wasps are getting in somehow (one landed on my sleeve so I slapped it with a glove, then it fell in a paper bag-- I stomped on the bag & smooshed that wasp). I'm going to have to vacuum in there, organize the bags of old toys-- throwing out broken ones and maybe donating intact ones or putting them in plastic bins-- organize the tools, and get the space workable again. Right now it's just a cluttered mess.

Here you go Z.

79377556_10156419954236854_2009006673947000832_n.png

With my luck, I may have cut it in the top. LOL.

It was raining & there were a few tornadoes touching down in towns north and south of me. I was going to go to the workshop during a lull in the rain (to put the washers on & take pictures) but my friend's fiance called & wanted me to take her to the store to get groceries and prenatal vitamins. I grabbed a rotisserie chicken for them but apparently she didn't want it (but she wanted the fresh bread we picked up). This girl goes to the ER over having a cold so I'm worried about how she'll handle pregnancy. My friend's ex is already being a total turd about it. My friend devoured the chicken when he got home. I asked him if was seasoned properly (because the one I got myself wasn't) and he said he didn't taste it, he just shoveled it in.

Tomorrow I'm going to see what the weather is like & if my mother feels like getting out of the house. She needs the exercise.

We're 36, but no precipitation today.
Starting late Wednesday through Sunday were supposed to get a ton of rain. We'll see how the weather guessers do..... maybe just 1/2 a ton.
I've been playing with my photos on the PC. Can't get em from the confuzer to the phone so I can put em here.
I still don't have service to the PC, so I'm living on the phone.

There is probably a way to sync up the newer phones with monitors somehow (or larger tablets). I'm resisting the urge to upgrade until its really necessary. I like my Note 4.

I was just thinking about Nick today. I had a technology question and wished I could ask him. I really miss his humor. I could use some humor today.

Friend who was supposed to come cut my weeds just had his house burn down. He got his kids out, turned around to go get his pets & the roof fell in. He lost everything. My friend who had his house burn a few years back went over to help him. No idea what caused the fire, but it came at a really bad time. The guy was just getting back on his feet. He's the one who had an ex clean out his entire bank account & steal his truck. She'd talked him in to putting her name on the truck in case something happened to him at his new job & she had full access to his bank account. He was doing an out-of-state dangerous (but high-paying) temporary job & she was cheating on him with his best friend. Totally cleaned him out of every last dime. House wasn't insured because it was one of those fixer uppers that wasn't in good enough condition.

I also discovered a lump on my elderly dog's chest. It feels like either fat or fluid around a hard lump. It's either an encapsulated infection or cancer. I've been giving her antibiotics that had no effect so I'm guessing it's cancer. Poor old thing was really having trouble last night & this morning. I had to keep bringing her water and encouraging her to drink. She didn't have the strength to get herself up to stand and walk around a little so she was yelping. I got her on her feet and stayed with her for a long time just supporting her (that's when I found the lump-- while lifting her). Cancer would explain why she's not keeping any weight on. It also looks like she might have blood in her urine. My mother is nagging me to take her in and have her put down but she's still eating and drinking & doesn't seem ready to give up yet. I almost took her in to have it done today with the way she was feeling this morning, but she perked up. I brushed her, petted her, & made sure she ate all of her food & she was able to get up on her own and move around more. She's completely incontinent so she wants to move away from the wet spots after she pees.. The puppy pads slip too much under her so they are useless. She mostly just goes on a mat we have down for her. I'm going to wash it again tomorrow.

The upside is I got the washers on the bolts on the pet door, trimmed the bolts, covered them with white tape, and got the caps over the holes on the exterior side. There must be something wonky with the one bolt hole that gave me the most trouble with the bolt because it also gave me trouble with the cap. I had to lay the door flat and tap it with a mallet. By the time I was done it was dark outside and the temperature wasn't ideal for caulking. Gonna wait until tomorrow when it's warmer.

I think I'm going to use automotive filler primer on the deepest scratches on the door and use a little regular primer as touch-up where primer just got lightly scratched off. Even though HD doesn't have the paint I want in stock, Behr said I can have it mixed in the store (said satin deep base #9453 and pigment P500-6).

Update: The pedialyte seems to be helping the dog but she's still very weak. When she didn't want food or water this morning I realized she wanted to stand up so I put her on her feet & steadied her while she took a few steps and moved around a little. She likes the pedialyte mixed with warm water. I'd bring her into my room but she doesn't like it in here & it's colder than the other rooms and hallway. I've been going out every couple hours to check on her & get her to drink & eat. She normally wanders around the kitchen eating cat food but she hasn't gone into the kitchen in days. Today she's had some dry dog biscuits, a large can of wet dog food (some kind of chunks of meat in gravy) with a little warm water mixed in, some soft dog biscuits, a hot dog, and some rotisserie chicken. I think she would eat a whole can of just the gravy from the dog food cans because she seems to really like it. I'm going to give her a 2nd can tonight to see if she'll eat it and if it will help.
I also went down to the workshop and caulked around the pet door with DAP door & window caulk while the temperature was still warm enough. I took pictures but my phone battery is low so I am charging it before turning it back on to upload pictures. The battery has been draining super fast for no apparent reason. I suspect it's built in obsolescence and that the software is either reporting it as lower or deliberately draining it to try to force me to upgrade to a newer phone. The cold weather probably isn't helping any.
Now I just need to get the primer & paint. The really tough part is going to be prepping the house itself for the new door.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back