What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add this to your weather apps.
http://www.lightningmaps.org/Click the volume icon and every strike ticks. When you see a strike, an expanding ring begins showing thunder sound. The ring expands at the speed of sound.
They have possible lightning and thunder in the forecast late tonight or tomorrow.
Last couple days the high was about 70, today 64, tomorrow rain, possible thunder, possibility of hail and high of 59.

Last edited:
First coat down. Second coat tomorrow. Next weekend primer for the walls. Then final color. In the meantime, my lawn looks awesome but it’s growing so fast because we’re getting rain every other day! Lots of mowing. Well, my blood sugar is down!

Attachments

• 7D92B4EE-D77A-455E-9375-0E6273B9B155.jpeg
    7D92B4EE-D77A-455E-9375-0E6273B9B155.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 23424987-424F-4472-B4A9-4D01CE451C25.jpeg
    23424987-424F-4472-B4A9-4D01CE451C25.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 22
Looking good Tom. How's your weather? Curious if the product you are using needs ventilation.

I have the 2 windows open. It’s low voc and honestly I didn’t really smell it.

weather is 81 and cloudy. Had sunshine earlier. No rain predicted. Going to wait till tomorrow to put on 2nd coat. Considering a top coat but there appears to be a few crap products out there. Maybe I’ll let it go with 2 coats in the satin.

I can walk on it now. Going to close windows down to an inch so humidity doesn’t pour in

That big bandsaw is a 16" 2 speed Craftsman. I also have a 12" variable speed Grizzly and a 1950s model 10" Craftsman. The grizzly is about wore out and they don't sell parts for it. No one else sells a 12" variable speed.

Always wished for a shop with a lathe and milling machine. With those you could fix it. Saw a video where a guy builds his own tools. He had a band saw and I think the wheels were plywood.

LOL. Reminds me of the Frankenstein thing from the Young Frankenstein movies. I still find it funny that the movies call him Frankenstein & portray him as a mindless oaf but in the book he was Frankenstein's monster and was actually quite intelligent, conniving, and eloquent. But the writing style was still boring as hell & I fell asleep after 5 pages. (I *think* this was the quote with the Phil Hartman as Frankenstein on SNL). If it was the quote about the stoves and checking reviews, too late for that. Friend got the only stove in stock that had knobs on it bc his fiance was nagging him to get a stove "now".
Edit: This was in response to a post I qouted-- post 65280 but for some reason it doesn't show up.
Can't believe there isn't a failsafe engineered into a stove. Scary.
It really is disturbing. Stuff like that should not be happening.
Doesn't make driverless cars any more appealing.
The failsafe would be an additional wire to the switch that detects a finger. No finger, no heat. Got to be a way.
Problem with driverless cars is the programming that tells it to hit certain things that make it more dangerous or tell them to ignore things. The heat thing doesn't work perfectly. For starters, if you have cold fingers like me, it's hard to get things to work. I once had to grab a friend's hand and put his fingers on a touch screen that used heat because my fingers didn't have enough heat to work it. I have a touchpad sensitive cooktop thing since the stove is broken. My cats can (and have) walk across the controls to change the settings. I went to grab something and came back to find the cat had turned the heat to Max Sear. Other times the cats have turned it off or turned the heat to low. Cats are the reason why my new toaster is inside an upside-down cardboard box right now. Trying to find a better cover that they won't ruin. Also wanting to get a cord manager to hold the plug up where it's not just sitting on the countertop.
I have always wanted a wood lathe. They just take up too much room.
I *think* the big tool thingy we got my dad years ago has a lathe on it somewhere. Not sure though. I can't even remember what the thing is called.. ShopSmith or something... I remember being told a horror story about a lathe accident in a woodworking class. Student didn't have the wood secured tightly enough, it flew off and impaled another student. Now I'm remembering my woodworking teacher listing stuff and holding up his fingers but folding them over to make it look like he was missing some while talking about safety. I hope he's still alive. That guy was hilarious. He was also my electronics teacher.

I'm trying to come up with a solution for a gap between the top of my friend's counter and the pantry next to it. Pantry is the gray color & countertop is a dark brown/black with brown flecks. It's called VT Dimensions Formica Labarador Granite. Pantry had a trim piece on the front that sticks out a bit so the countertop couldn't sit flush to the countertop. Gap goes from the front 1/2" trim on the pantry and extends all the way to the wall. About 1/4" gap. For now we have rope putty stuffed in the gap to keep stuff from falling down. Trying to find some sort of trim that can sit over it & not be too obvious.

Cartridge in the shower for the water jammed up & won't let water turn on so no shower (I pulled the cartridge out & tried seeing it it would turn but it won't). Just in time for the AC to stop working last night. Thought it was the capacitor blowing again but when I went outside I could hear it running. Wondering if coolant leaked out again. But, there's a PVC pipe setup for the AC that is supposed to have a cap over it. I don't know what it does but sometimes I am supposed to pour a little bleach down it (according to instructions from HVAC installer). Cats had knocked the cap off. I found a water bottle cap that fit & taped it on. About 20 min after putting it on stuff started getting cooler in the house. Not sure if I fixed it or if it's just coincidence bc it's night time and it got cooler outside. It was 88° in the coolest part of the house. I woke up completely drenched in sweat. Had to leave my room for awhile bc it's the hottest room in the house. Ended up going to the store to buy body wipes because we ran out.

I need to stop procrastinating and get back to finishing up my bathroom floor & getting my friend to help me hook the plumbing back up (involves crawling under the house & my friend owes me bigtime so he's volunteered to crawl under). He's supposed to come over tomorrow to cut the blackberry bushes & weeds next to the AC down. Eventually I want to put down landscaping tarp and put down some sort of covering that will prevent weeds (and blackberry bushes) from growing there. I may end up doing some laundry & then bringing some clothes & towels over to my friend's house to use his shower. He's already offered to let me do that. I may also need to replace my cast iron tub because it doesn't have a flange and the surround I want to use needs a tub with a flange. Might just go with a Delta unit. Hoping the tub can be extracted in one piece but am not hopeful about it. If it can be, I want to donate it. Other than a spot on the edge where porcelain got scraped off, it's in decent shape.

Tom, the floor looks great! It's inspiring me to want to work on my bathroom (when it cools off enough that I don't feel like a giant useless slug)

Btw, this is the old capacitor that got pulled out awhile back. As you can see it rusted & bloated. Rust might have happened after it was sitting out. I kept it as reference to know what we needed for replacement as the last repair guy stuck to 40uf ones in instead of a single 80.
gecapacitor1.jpggecapacitor2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back