What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was a peacfull protester and I went to 3 or 4 protests, and every protest I went to ended up destroying my towns businesses. I would stop going and find other ways to voice my views. At this point I'm wondering if the peacefull protesters are becoming the problem since when they protest it always becomes violent..... maybe not always,. but that's always what I see on the news.
I was taught right from wrong. I feel part of a rare breed.

Not in Flint, Mi, The sheriff and deputies march along side of them.
Have you seen where they are finding pallets of bricks on the corners where the protest are being held?

At this point I'm wondering if the peacefull protesters are becoming the problem since when they protest it always becomes violent..... maybe not always,

Last edited:
FLORIDA SHERIFF: "The people in Polk County like guns, they have guns, I encourage them to own guns. — And if you try to break into their homes to steal, to set fires, I'm highly recommending they blow you back out of the house with their guns."

FLORIDA SHERIFF: "The people in Polk County like guns, they have guns, I encourage them to own guns. — And if you try to break into their homes to steal, to set fires, I'm highly recommending they blow you back out of the house with their guns."
I like that sheriff.

My problem with all of this is 98% of people on the right and left agree this cop needs a rope.
That said.... why the destruction? People are already hoping to finally get their businesses open and then the windows are shattered an then either looted and or burnt to the ground.
That's kind of odd in a situation where everyone is in agreement.

Apparently it works.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/californ...-property-from-looters-in-george-floyd-unrestNote to mayor's and governor's that the mayhem can be stopped......... if you have the guts and if you really want to stop it. Bring on the tanks. Not against the protesters, just people with shopping carts full of stolen merchandise.
50 cals with rubber bullets ought to be effective.... and yes I know rubber bullets from a 50 caliber machine guns might be excessive. Is burning a police precinct or a shopping center excessive? ;)
This woosie governor and mayor crap needs to end. Gitter done.

Highup, there are people pretending to be with the BLM movement that are vandalizing things. A black woman filmed two white women spraypainting graffiti on a Starbucks & the whole time she was pleading with them to stop. She was saying that vandalism & destruction weren't what they were about & that the cops were going to blame the black people & retaliate. The two women told her to go f*** herself & said they didn't care. There were multiple people around the area all wearing the same outfits who were vandalizing things. Other people reported they saw posts on a white supremacist FB group saying it was time to go out & pretend to be with BLM & destroy stuff to cause trouble.

I've read multiple reports & seen videos showing that the protesters were not the ones who initiated the violence in some of the cases. There were cops who were hitting people who weren't being violent & it escalated. Allegedly, there were undercover/offduty/out-of-uniform cops going around destroying things & trying to blame it on BLM. If that's true, then they need to lose their jobs & go to jail. There are people who truly want to protest peacefully, but there are jerks who just want to be destructive (or who want to start a race war) who use it as an opportunity to vandalize & fight.

I know the Mueller Report is a sore point, but one of the things they mentioned in the report was that part of the Russian Active Measures was to cause race wars by pretending to be members from both sides, setting up protests, & trying to stage them to be at the same time & near same location to try to get violence to happen & if violence didn't start on it's own, they would start stuff.

I find it sad that some of the same people who were supporting armed white people storming a capitol to protest a shutdown are the same ones saying black people shouldn't be able to protest peacefully without weapons (not referring to anyone here).

Putting the cap on the pipe fixed my AC. Mom's new shower is going to be shipped out sometime later this month & I'll have to go pick it up. The tub for the guest bathroom was in stock so I went and grabbed it with my friend. Grabbed him an aluminum angle bar that was just the right width and height to make a shelf to go next to his stove. He put the tub in my workshop and saw I had a metal-cutting saw. Made short work of that bar & I helped him install it next to his stove. He said he's going to help me get a move on with getting stuff renovated at my house now that he's got a lot done at his house.

Over the weekend, a minister in full garb was maced by police even though there was no danger of escalation. The city mayor had asked clergy to come out and help calm the people. So several did. One cop got scared, took out his pepper spray and intentionally targeted the minister. And no word on discipline or investigation of the officer. BTW, the minister was white.

Zan, I know the protesters are not instigating the violence. When they do protest, the rioters tag along and break stuff and set fires. If that happened, I would stop going to protests because I know in advance that violence would occur.
If change is needed, new rules need to be enacted in the police rulebook. Do that by arranging dialogue between state senators and representatives so that they and the police can standardize police procedures. I don't see these protests doing anything positive... Just yelling screaming and blaming.
I'm not a cop, but maybe than knee to the neck procedure is warranted occasionally in order to cuff and maybe get a criminal on PCP under control... not for 8 minutes after he's under control. Police procedures need to be analalized then fix and standardize them nationally.

Last edited:
The Latin Kings are a large and powerful criminal gang in Chicago they have sent out an SOS that if anyone comes into their hoods trying to loot businesses or burn down buildings they will not only attack them but also then they will also turn them into authorities after they have finished beating them. This is a serious threat because the Latin Kings are one of the largest, most powerful gangs in the city. They are highly organized, have a violent reputation and have controlled large territories with an iron fist for decades and they ironically have a history with not co operating with authorities.

Zan, I know the protesters are not instigating the violence. When they do protest, the rioters tag along and break stuff and set fires. If that happened, I would stop going to protests because I know in advance that violence would occur.
If change is needed, new rules need to be enacted in the police rulebook. Do that by arranging dialogue between state senators and representatives so that they and the police can standardize police procedures. I don't see these protests doing anything positive... Just yelling screaming and blaming.
I'm not a cop, but maybe than knee to the neck procedure is warranted occasionally in order to cuff and maybe get a criminal on PCP under control... not for 8 minutes after he's under control. Police procedures need to be analalized then fix and standardize them nationally.
I get what you're saying, but the people have the right to protest & should not be treated with violence while being peaceful. What else would you have them do when no one listens to them? Many of them try to go to court & get dismissed. If they don't protest then it doesn't raise awareness of the issues as much. They shouldn't have to stop protesting just because bad people use the protests as an excuse for violence. Just as responsible gun owners shouldn't have to give up their guns because there are criminals who use guns unlawfully.
The kneeling on the neck thing is NOT in any of the police protocol or training. Video from different angles showed the victim was contained and was not fighting. The cop knew him & had worked with him. He clearly had a bone to pick with him & perhaps was trying to inflict pain as part of either some bitterness over past interactions (this is all speculation on my part). I don't know if he was actively trying to kill him, but he was absolutely trying to hurt him. There was zero justification to kneel on his neck like that.
We need better training & better screening. Cops who have egos & lose their tempers if people give them attitude or don't immediately comply. Japanese cops have things under control for the most part. They have tarps/mats they carry with them. When someone resists, they wrap them up to control them without harming them. One drunk guy who was fighting bit a cop & instead of hitting him or getting angry, the cop said "Why did you bite me? That hurt!"
I do realize cops are human and can lose their tempers & be afraid, but people often blame the untrained civilians for panicking or losing control of their emotions when it's the cops who should be trained to de-escalate & keep things under control.
Speaking of cops not keeping things under control, it turns out my friend's obnoxious grandfather is allowed to run amok by the cops because he's the brother-in-law of the former chief-of-police. They let him drive around without a license & harass my friend (and they even go over to harass my friend on the grandfather's behalf). Yesterday the grandfather wanted to see my friend's daughter (her birthday was recent & he didn't get to see her on her birthday). She was being a brat & having a tantrum when he rolled up in front of the house & held down the horn until people went out to tell him to knock it off. My friend's pregnant fiance was already very upset about the tantrums & told him my friend wasn't home & that it wasn't a good time to visit bc the little girl was having a tantrum. He kept insisting & she told him "Not now". Rather than accept that, he decided to start swearing at her, calling her names, telling her she was worthless, & calling her a liar & such. She's normally pretty sensitive but pregnancy hormones have made her even more unstable. She called my friend sobbing hysterically about it. When he got home, he called his grandfather to chew him out & tell him he's not allowed to see the little girl & is not allowed to come by his house anymore.
So, today after taking Mom to her eye doctor appointment, I stopped at my friend's house to drop off something he left in my truck yesterday. A large vehicle was parked across the driveway blocking it so no one else could park so I had to pull up in front & wait. My friend was returning from work & suddenly peeled out really fast like he was angry. Went around the block, peeled out again, and parked in the church parking lot. I drove up to him & he said the vehicle in his driveway was his grandfather's. The grandfather was defying him & being a jerk again-- demanding to see the granddaughter & wanting to drive her somewhere but the girl didn't want to go with him bc he got in a couple wrecks with her in the car & she's scared to go with him. My friend talked to us until his grandfather finally got the hint & left.

Complete change of subject: @highup since you're good with metal, do you have any suggestions for how to trim out a metal shelf made of an aluminum angle bar/stock (not sure of the exact term). My friend cut it to 28" length. It's 2" deep & 2" high and . I sanded the very edge so it wouldn't be sharp, but I want to put something along the whole perimeter to make it less sharp/blunt the edges more. I was thinking something similar to the trim that goes on car doors, but it needs to be something that can be near the heat of a stove. I was thinking either black or stainless steel (if I could find something).
This was the piece I got https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steelworks...-L-Mill-Finished-Aluminum-Solid-Angle/3006070 I think it's 16 gauge but it feels thick & doesn't flex. Might be a mistake bc there's another one that's shorter that is 11 gauge. I want to make sure the edge doesn't scrape the stove if/when the stove has to be moved & am trying to find a solution that looks good. Do they make silicone edging in black or something?
Any ideas?
stovesideshelf2.jpg

Latest posts

Back