What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This motor looks pretty similar. https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-1-HP-Belt-Drive-Motor-24C182
Same frame size, hp, rpm, voltage etc.

Last night there was the battle of dogs & raccoons throughout the night. Raccoon got up er too. nter. Dog managed to get up on the counter too. Coons have been stealing cooking utensils (caught them dragging off a silicone spatula. Dog managed to knock a bunch of stuff I'd picked up right back down on the floor. she had the coon cornered at the kitchen window inside. I had to put the dog in the living room. I had just fed the cats. Bethesda (one of my cats) went to the sink to see if the faucet was working to get water (since their water is gone & I need to wash the containers and refill them but there's no running water). Coon growled and swatted at her. She got upset so she went and peed in a bowl of cat food. I went into the front room to feed the kittens. Heard the dog barking & found the coon eating the peed on cat food. It ran from me so I moved the bowl closer to the door so it would finish it off (since the cats won't touch it). I desperately need to do some dishes.

Had trouble waking myself up but got up around 9:20am. Went to Tractor Supply with my friend to find the float lever but they were out. Went to hardware store and found it. They said nearest place that sells pumps and motors is in DeRidder. Couldn't even find the full piston pumps online. Found motors though. Keywords "belt drive motor". I saw that the older pump that burned out before this one was still on the ground outside but I can't read the label (need to clean it).

Fiend changed the switch out for the float lever just in case (and tucked the wires properly so the cover could fit). No dice still. I saw that the junction box for the wires that feed the lights and pumps was getting rained on (bc the tin got pulled up, twisted, and was hanging down). I found something to push it up with and set the tin back in place but it's not secured. It is stopping rain from landing on the junction box though.

With the raccoon situation it seems I need to speed up the timeline and bump up priority of fixing the back door. The larger ones might not be able to get through (I hope). Might have to cover it for awhile and open my window to let the cats in and out.

We've entered phase 3 of the pandemic response & people aren't wearing masks anymore and there was a maskless guy walking through the parking lot coughing & not covering his mouth. So, I'm avoiding going out in public as long as possible.
It does. I'd call Dayton if they have a tech help line that can assist you. I'm surprised it's only $200 from Grainger. Most of the stuff I've seen there is more expensive than anywhere else. $200 probably isn't bad for a new motor.
Depending on it's application, it might work. I'm not sure if a motor used indoors or enclosed as in a fan motor could be used outdoors In a potentially damp area. That's why thinking of asking a manufacturer for advice.
If all the specs matches yours, I suppose it will work.

Thanks, Highup. We ordered that motor to see if it works. It has a guarantee so it can be returned if it doesn't work.

I finally got around to watching that video and it's hilarious. It actually was very informative as well, but the way the guy phrased things was great. I also liked his digression into Norse mythology.

You might be surprised, Rusty. I think if the rating is the same or higher, you can wing it if a similar one looks adaptable.
I know there are electric motor forums that could easily tell you how to do it or what might fit if an original isn't available...... but again, it wouldn't surprise me if there is.

Thanks, Highup. We ordered that motor to see if it works. It has a guarantee so it can be returned if it doesn't work.

I finally got around to watching that video and it's hilarious. It actually was very informative as well, but the way the guy phrased things was great. I also liked his digression into Norse mythology.
Subscribe to him. He is frickin funny...... and rocket science smart. Tons of videos. How he removes tools from their packaging is always hilarious.
He's opened cardboard boxes with a mini chain saw, a huge forklift and even with a fly cutter in a milling machine. 😁

Here ya go Zan. Lesson in making check valve in econo hydraulic system.
He is known by most as Uncle Bumblefuck. Google it.
His very young daughter occasionally wanders into the shop while he's doing his show. He calls her Chickadee. Listen to his language change around 4:40 minutes in..... a minute later when his wife chimes in looking for Chickadee. 😁

Thanks for the vids! I subscribed after watching the 1st one. Seems like he's bilingual bc I heard him speaking to his daughter in French. He's got a good vocabulary in English as well. Clearly Canadian it sounds like.

I didn't do much but catch up on sleep, feed the cats, & go into town to get Subway since the raccoons managed to get in to plastic containers to get the cereal & pretty much anything we could make without having to wash dishes.

One of the raccoons got up on a high shelf and grabbed a model car my dad built & threw it down & smashed it. My brother pinched at the raccoon with a grabber arm and chased it to the door to the room & I chased it through the kitchen to get it out. They don't try to fight humans if they aren't trapped, but they keep wanting to fight with the dogs-- not too aggressively thus far, but I will need to make it clear they aren't welcome inside the house. Wish I could set something up outside that they would like so they would stay out.

Friend messaged my brother to say that the motor arrived but my brother didn't bother waking me up to tell me so it was too late when I found out. Friend will be coming out early this morning to install it & hope it works.

My friend agreed to get up at 7 to come out, but he had a late night & wasn't up when I got there. Around 8:30 I was sitting on his couch texting him & listening to his phone ding in the next room. His fiance & I were laughing like hyenas about it and sending him random texts just to hear the phone ding. I didn't get any sleep the night before. I had gone in and said something to him around 8 but he was out of it. Around 8:40 his fiance badgered him into getting up. I don't think we got out of there for another 20 min bc he had to get his brain working. Picked up some tools (Tractor Supply had some really nice pipe wrenches on sale for $15 that were selling for $54 at the hardware store).

Long story short: The wiring from the float switch to the motor was bad. My friend said the old motor was burned up anyway so it was worth replacing it. We grabbed some wire he had leftover from something else & used it. Have it routed so people don't trip over it anymore too. I have the water heater going to heat things up so I can do dishes.

I'm feeling a bit anxious because my aunt got worried about the situation & decided to help. She pressured my mom to agree to hire someone to come do some work & mom said we need to clean first by "we" she means me. Said it would take a week. She has no concept of manual labor & does not realize it will take me well over a week. I move slowly & need breaks. I was just saying to my friend one of my frustrations is that I have the knowledge of how to do things but lack the dexterity & strength to do some of it. I think I may be able to get my friend over to help. He knows there's free food in it for him, but he also does want to help us out more. I said getting the new back door in has heightened priority now. My aunt wants to contact people on our behalf to come out & do work, so the house will need to be cleaned up enough for that. I'm betting my mom will back out & say its too expensive, but we'll see.

I kinda hope we can find the raccoons' nest to see if we can find some of our missing stuff. They ran off with all of our new silicone spatulas/serving spoons/noodle scoops. I don't know what they wanted with them-- but a raccoon at my friend's house stole a pen before.

I'm going to try to get a nap since I was up all night. Then I can start some cleaning & refill cat waterers, scrub some literboxes & do some dishes. When my brother gets home I'll have to see if he's willing to help get some laundry from the floor in the back hall/laundry room knocked out. We will look at stuff & if it's been chewed by mice, it gets tossed out.

For Highup

old hippies.PNG

I wasn't able to nap during the day as much as I needed. I kept hearing the motor running & went out to check. The new float switch was at just enough of an angle that it caused the rod to go sideways when it came up so it wasn't triggering the switch to shut off. I turned off the power & adjusted it (may need to adjust it more). I also saw water leaking under the house near the kitchen sink. Figured a line broke under there but it would need to be handled later bc I was exhausted & my friend had to go to work. A few hours later I heard water at the sink & realized the leak was inside. Cold water supply line was spraying. Raccoons had knocked a whole bunch of stuff on the floor in front of the cabinet so I couldn't get the door open at first. Finally managed to get it open and shut off the water (while getting sprayed). My back was going out on me so I didn't pull out the plastic bin that is full of water & didn't put towels down-- probably should have, but my body was disagreeing with me. I'm going to grab my dehumidifier from my friend's house & try to dry it out and see if he can swap the lines out to ones that don't leak. I'm too fat to fit in there.
Meanwhile, the little raccoon got into the pantry again & my brother caught it with a grabber arm. It was pretty angry about it. He carried it to the back door and tried to get it to leave, but the stupid dog kept jumping on the poor thing & fighting with it. I tried to grab her but since my back wasn't cooperating I wasn't fast enough.
Started to get a nap & my mom wanted me to come plug her headset in to her computer for her. I had to use a flashlight and magnifying glass to see which cord was for the speakers & which was for the microphone. Then I had to use my phone to see the back of the computer & take a picture to see which ports were needed.
She woke me up again wanting popcorn. Water seemed to be going out. Somehow the breaker either got tripped or someone shut it off. Maybe I forgot to turn it back on... I don't remember. It's possible. My memory has been bad.
Just got woken up by the dog busting into my room like the Kool Aid man and letting a cat in who came and pounced on me. Right on the bladder. Got to the bathroom but mom was in there. She told me she unplugged her headset bc the lights on it wouldn't turn off. Which means she will be bothering me later to plug it back in.
I'm sleepy but awake bc I know I have stuff to do today & my brain won't let me sleep in these situations. LOL.

I'll have to remember the chapstick thing.
Had an MRE to eat last night & it didn't agree with my stomach. We got a couple boxes of the low sodium kind. Ended up getting nothing done today due to having to remain near the bathroom & not bend or do anything to agitate my guts.
Friend's toilet is leaking. He said he couldn't fit it as far back as it should go bc of a 2x4 along the base of the back wall. I think it can be replaced with a 1x4 & let the toilet still fit. It's pushing the toilet a little too far forward. I also promised to bring them some ground meat & water bc they are out & their food stamps didn't go very far with the higher prices.
My dog understands the word "cuddle". I told her to come cuddle me so she rushed over and laid down against me and rested her head on me.
I was going to do dishes with just the hot water but found the damn raccoons dumped out all the dish detergent. Have to go buy more. Trying to get myself motivated to move. I forgot to take my meds for several days & it didn't help. I need the synthroid & progesterone to have energy & focus.
I also need to change the hvac filters & have been procrastinating.

Latest posts

Back