What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like your still having a rough time Z
Today I got new windows as the others were just about falling out
I helped and I made the coffee
No donuts? 😱
Around here, that damage would be on the south side of the house. Is that upside down and backwards for you?

I am ok with needing an ID to vote as long as the ID is free. Some states were treating it like a poll tax. In Missouri a non-driver ID is $25. Some poor people could not come up with an extra $25. or $50 for a couple.

At the early voting place they check ID. At my regular voting place they don't bother. The early voting location is easier to find & has better parking & lighting. It's right next to the courthouse so it's also has good security. I'm glad none of them ever try to compare my signature from when I first registered to vote. My signature has changed. Also, the page moved when I was trying to sign in so that didn't help.

Rusty, I agree. It can be hard for some people to get ID-- particularly people who just lost their homes to the flooding/hurricane. IIRC, it costs more than $25 for ID here & it takes a long time. Took one friend 6 months to get his ID. He had a hard time even getting the paperwork through bc they wanted SS card or birth certificate & his mom refused to give them to him (and she lived out-of-state). He couldn't get new SS card without the birth certificate & he couldn't get the birth certificate without ID. It was a catch 22.

I know some think that $25 isn't a lot but living in an area where the median household income is below $25k & sales tax is 10.45% & there are all sorts of fees for everything. There is no public transportation and hardly any sidewalks. So people have to rely on having their own cars or have to get lifts. If they get a flat tire, need an oil change, or need any maintenance it eats their budget.

Highup, that looks like a pita for a job. I'd be mad at whoever did the radiant heating.

Interesting carpet pattern.

Odd question: My MSI Herritage Antique Mahogany vinyl planks came with their own backers, but the promo images & info say it can be put over MSI Abatec 3.9 ft. x 25.7 ft. x 1mm Premium Underlayment for Rigid Click Luxury Vinyl Flooring (100 sq. ft.)-VTURIGID - The Home Depot which will keep it from sliding & provide more sound proofing. I don't really care about sound so much, but it might keep the floor a little warmer in winter. I would only need one roll of the stuff. Do you think it would be worth it?

I'm sitting here relaxing in the air conditioning with my cats. They want attention. LOL. Legs are aching. I really should start doing some stretches for my back & legs. I'm planning to make shepherd's pie tonight. Store was out of a lot of stuff & I will probably have to go to a different store to get more food. I think we may be able to get rid of our old fridge now that my brother has his own small fridge in his room. It can hold his milk & diabetes medicine. He's been better about not stealing my milk. The reason we got a 2nd fridge set up was bc he kept eating everyone else's food so we put stuff in a different fridge & told him he wasn't allowed to eat anything from that one. It didn't work with the food but it worked with the milk for the most part.

Mmm.. Donuts.. I think we still have some in the living room (safe from raccoons there).

Last edited:
Sounds like your still having a rough time Z
Today I got new windows as the others were just about falling out
I helped and I made the coffee

Next could be problem getting timber decking replaced
The floor joists run at right angles to the deck starting in the lounge
How rotten are they?
Your are correct highup it is facing north so the decking doesnt dry out

Attachments

• NEXT.jpg
    NEXT.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 26
Next could be problem getting timber decking replaced
The floor joists run at right angles to the deck starting in the lounge
How rotten are they?
Your are correct highup it is facing north so the decking doesnt dry out
OK, I guessed that correctly.
So .....does the sun come up in the east or west for you? 😁
I'm assuming the sky is straight up.
A lot of time those timbers survive fairly well because the water doesn't sit on them the same way it does on a flat board.
It would be nice when they install those joists, that they would lay a strip of tar paper over them before laying the deck boards. That way water wouldn't lay between the deck boards and the joists. Then again I'm just a carpet dude what do I know.
If they are in good shape you might request that they do cap or cover the top of those joists with a simple strip of tar paper or something like that, maybe a rubber membrane.

Last edited:
Yes Zan, it's going to be a complicated one. Stretching is probably going to be the most difficult part after getting the floor flat. The long seam will be 31 feet long. The pattern is 1 and 3/4 in long.
I'm hoping the pattern is consistent so I don't have to fight the pattern match a lot when doing the seam.

OK, I guessed that correctly.
So .....does the sun come up in the east or west for you? 😁

Nah it comes up every morning :)
The rules here are pretty tough what builders are allowed to do
I asked him if he could hold the flood light over the door and said he would have to get an electrician even if he is just holding it for me while I connect the wires. Soon as he touches it he owns it for the next 20 years if the house burns down as I would say to insurance company he helped but if you as my next door neighbor who knows nothing its all covered
We can use this type of thing working on jobs Not my job Cant touch it

Zan, are most materials there is a manufacturer's tech line so you can ask questions about products or installations.
I'd call that tech line and tell them your material and pattern number then ask if that underlayment is okay.
I don't know of any material that would allow a cushion if the material you're installing already has one. That said I don't know what that rolled underlayment material looks like, so maybe it is okay but I'd certainly call and tell them your situation and ask if that's ok or not.

Jon, floor layers here aren't supposed to remove and replace toilets because that's plumbing. But I'm sure I set a couple hundred in my lifetime.
Since it's not rocket science to install a wax seal and tighten one fitting it's not that big of a deal. When I first started working with my grandfather he reset toilets so I learned to reset toilets. When you finish up installing vinyl in a bathroom at 5:30 p.m. or 6:00, it's not easy getting a plumber over to the house so we do what we got to do when a customer only has one toilet.
Electrical is different. That said I've probably removed and replaced a dozen baseboard heaters in the last 40 years. That's not rocket science either. I've pretty much stopped doing anything electrical and only do plumbing when it's absolutely necessary. It's hard to arrange for a plumber to remove a toilet in the morning, then do floor prep and install the vinyl, and request that the plumber returns to the house at 4:00 to reinstall the toilet. What happens when you discover some damage to the floor and need to replace pieces of underlayment and now you won't get the job done until 6:00. If the homeowner only has one toilet I'm putting it back. I just find it difficult to tell a plumber the day before I am doing an installation exactly when I will finish.

What I learned in ‘14 when I bought 4Runner is that you can negotiate the price of the warranty after the salesman gets done. You negotiate the warranty with the financial person separate.

Jon, floor layers here aren't supposed to remove and replace toilets because that's plumbing. But I'm sure I set a couple hundred in my lifetime.
Since it's not rocket science to install a wax seal and tighten one fitting it's not that big of a deal. When I first started working with my grandfather he reset toilets so I learned to reset toilets. When you finish up installing vinyl in a bathroom at 5:30 p.m. or 6:00, it's not easy getting a plumber over to the house so we do what we got to do when a customer only has one toilet.
Electrical is different. That said I've probably removed and replaced a dozen baseboard heaters in the last 40 years. That's not rocket science either. I've pretty much stopped doing anything electrical and only do plumbing when it's absolutely necessary. It's hard to arrange for a plumber to remove a toilet in the morning, then do floor prep and install the vinyl, and request that the plumber returns to the house at 4:00 to reinstall the toilet. What happens when you discover some damage to the floor and need to replace pieces of underlayment and now you won't get the job done until 6:00. If the homeowner only has one toilet I'm putting it back. I just find it difficult to tell a plumber the day before I am doing an installation exactly when I will finish.

You can do anything you like until it turns to custard then its your fault

Spent the morning drawing up my next nightmare job. I was told it was a bedroom.
Turns out to be an upstairs loft, a master bedroom and a closet/dressing area.
I drew up the rooms and included the balance showing the carpet fill and the stair material needed.
Closet and master are each less then 12 feet..... hurray!
The loft has a little issue. The angled 23 foot in the layout is a railing, with 2x2 inch balusters 5 inches apart. Worse yet, the carpet goes a good 6" beyond the balusters.
That's a lot of them ....I didn't count. 😣 The stairs enter at the far end of the angle with an oak top step.
.....at to top it off this is a Karastan woven carpet. Oh yes and the stairs are a sweeping curve of 13 open steps to be turned and tacked on the front and back edges.

Attachments

• Layout with fills color.jpg
    Layout with fills color.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 18
Spent the morning drawing up my next nightmare job. I was told it was a bedroom.
Turns out to be an upstairs loft, a master bedroom and a closet/dressing area.
I drew up the rooms and included the balance showing the carpet fill and the stair material needed.
Closet and master are each less then 12 feet..... hurray!
The loft has a little issue. The angled 23 foot in the layout is a railing, with 2x2 inch balusters 5 inches apart. Worse yet, the carpet goes a good 6" beyond the balusters.
That's a lot of them ....I didn't count. 😣 The stairs enter at the far end of the angle with an oak top step.
.....at to top it off this is a Karastan woven carpet. Oh yes and the stairs are a sweeping curve of 13 open steps to be turned and tacked on the front and back edges.

Latest posts

Back