What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other side, which I also get, is that it takes money to run a business. My mechanic charges me for everything and I’m sure he puts a bump on parts too cus if that part fails he has to warranty it. Nothing pisses me off more than someone who scrounged around and found the lowest internet price to try and Jew me down on my price with. Tell me you would do it yourself but you don’t have the time and I may just kick you in the jimmy bag.

Turns out the $80 part was only a $15 part but my friend went ahead and bought it bc he was worried about us getting heat stroke. However, it turns out the boss hadn't actually checked with the employee to make sure he was available- he had his kids there and couldn't leave them. My friend watched some youtube videos on how to discharge the capacitor, how to unplug the outside power thingy, and how to install capacitors. The guy who is in jail made a mess of the wiring and my friend sent pics to the dude who refused to come out. Dude then walked him through (over the phone) how to fix it. Needed another capacitor for $10. Dude had one and sold it to us. I reimbursed my friend for both. First capacitor fixed the compressor but the fan wasn't working. 2nd capacitor runs the fan. So, now my friend has learned how to fix AC units and it is cooling off. It's still in the 80s but it's not 89 anymore. All of my pets are relieved.

Freezer is still busted unfortunately. I need to cook all of the stuff in it soon.

I spoke too soon. AC crapped out again. Internal fan works but outside fan and compressor won't kick on. It's 91° in the coldest part of my house.

Last edited:
Thats Chevy. Dodge transmissions are crap. If you’re gonna go to all the trouble of doing a conversion why not just do a fummins swap.
There's a really nice family that owns the transmission shop called precision transmission. They've got a really successful YouTube channel and it's fun watching the owner tear down a transmission and diagnose why it failed.
I just watched one last night. The transmission was actually in perfect shape, they didn't remove it, but it threw some error codes. When they pulled an exterior plug, and blew inside it with an air hose, a miniscule amount of transmission fluid misted out of it.
They pulled the pan to do an inspection and replaced the wiring harness to that plug connection. The pan was absolutely spotless, the fluid looks like it was just poured out of a bottle. His comment when adding a new filter after replacing the harness was at that Allison is probably the best transmission ever built, saying if maintained regularly they could go 6 to 900,000 miles.
I'd put one in my trans Chevy S10 but it would probably take 40 horsepower just to spin the transmission. 😁

Turns out the $80 part was only a $15 part but my friend went ahead and bought it bc he was worried about us getting heat stroke. However, it turns out the boss hadn't actually checked with the employee to make sure he was available- he had his kids there and couldn't leave them. My friend watched some youtube videos on how to discharge the capacitor, how to unplug the outside power thingy, and how to install capacitors. The guy who is in jail made a mess of the wiring and my friend sent pics to the dude who refused to come out. Dude then walked him through (over the phone) how to fix it. Needed another capacitor for $10. Dude had one and sold it to us. I reimbursed my friend for both. First capacitor fixed the compressor but the fan wasn't working. 2nd capacitor runs the fan. So, now my friend has learned how to fix AC units and it is cooling off. It's still in the 80s but it's not 89 anymore. All of my pets are relieved.

Freezer is still busted unfortunately. I need to cook all of the stuff in it soon.

I spoke too soon. AC crapped out again. Internal fan works but outside fan and compressor won't kick on. It's 91° in the coldest part of my house.
That sucks. Capacitors are one thing that needs serious respect. Hope he's not the "hold my beer, ...watch this" kinda friend. Those things can drop you dead.

Haven’t checked in for a while. Getting things ready for retirement. Less than 4 weeks to go. I got my Medicare and supplement all sorted out. Plan D all worked out. Just waiting for the day now
Just make sure you have something to do. I wash dishes because I am bored. I would rather still be working.

Measured up a job Friday. What's worse than removing 1972 kitchen carpet?
Answer:
Kitchen carpet plus. It's kitchen carpet, ......double stick edition.

Attachments

• PXL_20220520_224744951.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220520_224744951.MP.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 21
Just make sure you have something to do. I wash dishes because I am bored. I would rather still be working.
Here’s one project. I intend to pull the work bench out and drywall behind it. I can’t do anything in the corner because of too much plumbing. I also want to pull down the shelves and salvage the wood. I’ll drywall behind them and clean and paint them, probably blue/gray.
My deck is 50 years old but I’ll need wood prices to drop before looking at that.

Attachments

• 34637546-EBB4-4603-923A-6801F0AAD5A0.jpeg
    34637546-EBB4-4603-923A-6801F0AAD5A0.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 7DD580A2-6D60-46F8-900F-C947CD1F5EE0.jpeg
    7DD580A2-6D60-46F8-900F-C947CD1F5EE0.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 22
  • F70224B1-7DA1-42DC-85F9-885DB5F5C63B.jpeg
    F70224B1-7DA1-42DC-85F9-885DB5F5C63B.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 22
My friend watched youtube videos I sent him and that he looked up himself. He made sure to discharge the capacitors & to check them for any charge afterward. He will research and say "stand back in case something goes wrong". So, when he first turned the unit on he told me to stand back bc he was worried something might blow. He actually is very careful and the AC guy he sent pics to told him it was done right. But it seems the fan isn't working. My brother pushed the fan while the compressor was shortcycling and it worked for about an hour. Not sure if the new capacitor isn't keeping it powered enough or if the rusty old fan motor is having issues. It tried to move on its own a little after I nudged it but then it wouldn't keep spinning. Maybe it is gummed up or maybe the fan is bad.

But its hot and I don't like hot weather.

Tried to sleep last night and finally got into a nice rest when Sir Hammington pounced on my gut with the full force of all of his weight and then couldn't figure out why I pushed him away and started yelling.

Good thing I have my vornado fans. They help a little but I have been sweating all night.

Measured up a job Friday. What's worse than removing 1972 kitchen carpet?
Answer:
Kitchen carpet plus. It's kitchen carpet, ......double stick edition.

This reminded me of an old modular home I did years ago. Most all the older modulars were just rolled out and staple the piss out of the perimeter. I got into one that they goofed up twice before the final 3rd carpet was accepted. So 3 layers of carpet and about a million staples later......

Wasn't very happy on that install!!

This reminded me of an old modular home I did years ago. Most all the older modulars were just rolled out and staple the piss out of the perimeter. I got into one that they goofed up twice before the final 3rd carpet was accepted. So 3 layers of carpet and about a million staples later......

You didn’t put down the 4th layer of carpet? I got stuck doing some dumpy apartments years ago. $4.50/ yd for vinyl. Goin rate at the time was $7. No pay for anything but the $4.50/ yd. No demo, no prep and no appliance moving. One bathroom had 6 layers of vinyl down and I didn’t hesitate to install the 7th.

Here’s one project. I intend to pull the work bench out and drywall behind it. I can’t do anything in the corner because of too much plumbing. I also want to pull down the shelves and salvage the wood. I’ll drywall behind them and clean and paint them, probably blue/gray.
My deck is 50 years old but I’ll need wood prices to drop before looking at that.
I have a woodworking shop, but it is idle. Can't afford to build anything.

I have a woodworking shop, but it is idle. Can't afford to build anything.

You need to get a job in a fab/ wood shop or something like that. They would prolly even be willing to do part time with this current ‘labor shortage’, wink wink. Now you get to play with tools but somebody else is picking up the tab.

Or how about gathering pallets. It’s free wood.

You need to get a job in a fab/ wood shop or something like that. They would prolly even be willing to do part time with this current ‘labor shortage’, wink wink. Now you get to play with tools but somebody else is picking up the tab.

Or how about gathering pallets. It’s free wood.
One of the lumber yards has started throwing pallets out again. My knees are really bad. Don't think I could work for someone else. Spent an hour weedeating and can barely stand.

That’s what grandkids are for. You drive and they load up the pallets for you. Take it one step further and get a pallet buster for the grandkids to split the pallets apart. Take em to DQ when you’re all done.

Could a used a lawnmower without the wheels on it 😁

One of the lumber yards has started throwing pallets out again. My knees are really bad. Don't think I could work for someone else. Spent an hour weedeating and can barely stand.
I'm getting concerned too because I've been measiring instead of installing. Largest job in a month was 80 yards in 3 bedrooms. Finished up the Friday before Mother's day.
Tomorrow, I'm helping the warehouse guy deliver 1250sq ft of engineered wood floor to a new house. I told him because of my back, one of us might be holding opposite ends of the same box.
Walking with my body twisted while holding each box ain't a happnin'

Latest posts

Back