What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have something you have probably never seen. A variable speed band saw. Grizzly sold it for a little while years ago. Can't get parts, so I have made some. My big Craftsman, 16 inch, has two speeds. But this little Crizzly, 12 inch, has an adjustable speed knob on it like a router table.

We are at $6.50 per yard for the installation
$2 a yard for rip up
$15 per piece of furniture
And $8 per step plus this one head spindles to turn up two so that was another $60.
All said it was about an $1800 job for two days which isn’t horrible for doing carpet.
I promise you the "average" crew out there isn't grossing $900 a day. Are you one or two men on that install? Kinda assume you've got 4 hands to move furniture/demo

I promise you the "average" crew out there isn't grossing $900 a day. Are you one or two men on that install? Kinda assume you've got 4 hands to move furniture/demo

I hope everyone is averaging at least that.

I assume you guys all include delivery with the installation price? That can be pretty tricky to do alone also…

Does that $900.00 also include tack strip? Nails, seam tape, staples, blades, seam sealer, gas, clothes/laundry, worker’s comp, liability insurance, health insurance, truck payments, truck depreciation, truck insurance, truck maintenance…. Band-aids? (lol)… Any lost or broken tools?…Did you knock over a lamp or scratch an end table today?…Let’s not forget to pay our taxes…

How much of that 900 is left for two men?

Last edited:
That thing is the best time saving jig ever!
It's so cool I just got a patent for it.
A Chinese company said they would make them for me for $37US.
I figure on selling them for $275.
I'm gonna make a killing. 😅
Don, see what happens when you post ideas on the internet before obtaining legal advice? This could have been you. 😁
.....oh yeah, the trash can and saw are available for a separate fee plus postage and handling. 😉

I assume you guys all include delivery with the installation price? That can be pretty tricky to do alone also…

Does that $900.00 also include tack strip? Nails, seam tape, staples, blades, seam sealer, gas, clothes/laundry, worker’s comp, liability insurance, health insurance, truck payments, truck depreciation, truck insurance, truck maintenance…. Band-aids? (lol)… Any lost or broken tools?…Did you knock over a lamp or scratch an end table today?…Let’s not forget to pay our taxes…

...be happy making that per week.🤧
4 hrs a day doesn't help. This is still 1978 right? 🫣

It used to be common guys (not carpet, but other trades) would tell me they needed $500 a day minimum as one man operations just to make "wages". By wages they'd mean more than "Prevailing Wage" for that work. Generally, anyone who could make it as an Independent Contractor ought to be able to find union work, Prevailing Wages or otherwise make a decent living. If not they really should look elsewhere. Construction is not for everyone. In a competitive world there's winners and losers. It's been a while since I probed around that question with other trades and honestly I never knew how all those carpet supplies were negotiated.

So given the inflation over the time I was last really inquisitive about those numbers I suppose $900 might be the number these days. I know what the LEAST possible expenses you could incur as a Licensed Contractor in California. With employees.................good grief, you'd for sure need $900+ a day.

But California is a different country so your comparing avacodos to potatoes. 😁
How many doctors make much over $100 per hour?
Seriously, I can understand what your saying, living in California. Definitely not a cheap place to live.

Any northern or western sizeable city will have the ability for an installer to make $100/ hr. Things are cheaper in the south so you might be at $75/ hr but that’s still good money.

Something else to think about is how you calculate how much you make an hour. I average $100 an hour for the time I’m actually on the job and working. This doesn’t count drive time or anything else, just time on my knees. Figure an hour each way for travel. What about picking up and delivering materials, going to the supply shop or Depot, dumping at the end of the day, renting and returning equipment, getting your tires rotated and so on.

Factor all that in and you sure ain’t makin $100/ hr any more.

Got another trailer today. Capped some holes in the subfloor with sheet metal then found my center line and just ran with it. Candy from a baby.
96CF70AB-EB80-48C1-A3B5-861BBDDD36E6.jpeg
33180437-C05A-498C-A984-C99E58191606.jpeg
30EA6A23-6C4E-42DB-8689-C25BA6EA3F81.jpeg

Attachments

• 85ACF63F-0767-494A-97B0-86D027AE2F1B.jpeg
    85ACF63F-0767-494A-97B0-86D027AE2F1B.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 879495DE-A1F4-4E87-B88A-7E4BE7E8E5A0.jpeg
    879495DE-A1F4-4E87-B88A-7E4BE7E8E5A0.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 0
Floors are looking good! I need to work on figuring out measurements for my kitchen and get something to replace the messed up parquet.

I'm still salty about not being able to take welding classes. They offered them at the local votech but when I went to sign up they told me only males were allowed to take the class. I later found out that they only offered it to male prison inmates and it was taught at the prison but they didn't have any classes for law-abiding citizens.

The local mayor used to be the scout leader. He never turned in any badge stuff either. He would take $ from kids and parents but never even give them badges. Just another scam for him to get $ from people. He's probably the most corrupt mayor we've had. He was embezzling city $ left and right and then pinned the blame on a city hall clerk who supposedly killed herself. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he had her offed. But her death gave him the opportunity to claim he caught her and was going to report her to the police. But the embezzling did not stop after her death.

I got stuff at Samsclub the other day & picked up a Lowes order. They now have lockers where you scan a barcode & the correct locker opens. Got in, got my stuff, and got out. No having to deal with rude associates or waiting while they search for my items (which can sometimes take hours).

Took my friend for a dental appointment Monday. His dentures were rubbing his gums so he got it fixed-- no charge. He's got another appointment next Monday. My brother informed me about some dog mess somewhere in the house. He told me twice so I think he expects me to clean it up but it was his dog who made the mess.

I'm waiting for him to finish with the washing machine so I can do some laundry.

Latest posts

Back