What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got curbside pickup order and painted some trim. Waiting for Mom to tell me she's hungry so I can cook for her.

Today I wish I'd stayed in bed. Went to open a can and can opener crapped out on me. Can't even find the blade on the thing to sharpen it. It still turns and grabs the can but it doesn't cut.

Went to make some toast and toaster was broken (one side lit up but the lever kept popping back up and wouldn't stay down-- other side was dead). Couldn't find the backup toaster anywhere. It's in the house somewhere...

Decided to try the air fryer and as I opened the air fryer door there was a SPROING noise and something fell off in the lower left corner so now the door won't stay shut. I had to tape it up but it won't cook because the door doesn't stay shut tight. Just got that thing in January. There is a smaller backup air fryer with a pull-out thingy on it.

Got yelled at by Mom-- first for not reading her mind and knowing she wanted toast because she sucks at communication and then because I returned the bread to her and she didn't listen when I told her the toaster and air fryer (which acts as a toaster oven) are broken & I couldn't cook it. I did ask her if she wanted me to try to heat it in a pan but she called me a bitch and put the bread away.

On my way out the door for curbside pickup I somehow managed to smack myself in the head with the door. Got stuff without incident at least and am back home resting.

I did manage to clean some stuff up, but with the day I'm having I'm likely to have a broomstick hit me in the eye if I try more. I wish I could figure out what broke off and where because I want to fix it. It's under warranty at least but not sure how to collect on it or get a new one or just get a refund and get a different type. Only one or two other reviews said the door broke like that. I took a flashlight and looked at the thing. Maybe if I open the door and tip it forward whatever came off will fall out-- but I've got it taped shut for now. Don't want the glass shattering.

Alright, which one is mine?

IMG_3372.jpeg

Don't know how much you know about mountain lions, but I lived for about 10 years where we saw one occasionally. I saw one walk through my back yard about 3 years ago, here. A couple days ago one was spotted about 1/2 mile from my house. Then I found out today that some idiot had been feeding it. Once one of them is fed by a human, , they associate people with food. It makes them extremely dangerous. .

CJ, the one on the right? Looks like its been used quite a bit. I have one like that up in my tool closet.

Things went better today. Friend wasn't available until after 5pm so we didn't have much time to work. It rained on my trim boards as I was bringing them up to the house but they are plastic so no harm done. They dried off quickly. Got my miter saw stand set up, unboxed miter saw, set it up, and then cut trim. First horizontal side trim piece was cut 1/8" too long so friend cut that piece off. Being a hoarder, I kept it.
2nd side piece was 1/2" too short so he had to cut again. It's 1/8" too short but I have the cut off 1/8" piece to use to fill the gap.
Friend got nauseous so couldn't continue working too long. PEX is hooked up and the valve is loosely in place. Tub spout rough-in is loosely in place as well.
I did some of the cutting and got one of the vertical trim pieces cut to size. They are ready to go up. I will see if I can get the caulk opened and take a crack at it later. Body is sore and I'm exhausted.

I had to do a lot of cleaning to prepare for the work. Moved some heavy stuff out of the way.

Also got the corner trim up to cover the ugly gap between the printed panels so it looks much nicer now.
1686026805077.png

Don't know how much you know about mountain lions, but I lived for about 10 years where we saw one occasionally. I saw one walk through my back yard about 3 years ago, here. A couple days ago one was spotted about 1/2 mile from my house. Then I found out today that some idiot had been feeding it. Once one of them is fed by a human, , they associate people with food. It makes them extremely dangerous. .

So it’s kinda like Survivor, somebody is gonna get eliminated from the show 😳

Hopefully animal control, or some alert neighbors, is/ are on top of it.

That blue striped wallpaper is growing on me.
Its actually printed directly on to the wall panel rather than put up with some sort of paper. I guess a laminated wood type thing made back in the 60s or 70s. I used to hate it but it has grown on me.

I played around with shim options for the side trim and found something that should work. I just need to get my miter saw out to make some cuts, find my caulk condoms to use on the tube after I open it to use for a small amount of stuff, and then possibly have to tape stuff to make it stay in place.
I'm debating trying to look for my brad nailer in the tool closet but I will need to get the air compressor down off of a high shelf and I'm not sure if my left arm will reach. I suppose I could get a stepstool or something. It's not that heavy, just bulky.

I'm also trying to come up with craft ideas for some of the cutoffs from the cement board. I hate to see things go to waste and am trying to figure out what I can do with the pieces. I have some leftover PVC cutoffs as well but I think those might work as shelves.

It's cool that he's still able to do carpet at 80. The local guy who did carpet in my area (technically my neighbor because we share a fenceline) retired in his 60s I think. He had to get knee surgery. He now drives the school bus.

I was busy today. Got up early to clear stuff out of the truck and turn it around so Mom could get in more easily. Helped her out to the truck, took her for her ENT appointment. They said it was for the sleep study place but they gave the wrong info. She had to have an ENT approve of her renewal of RX for CPAP supplies. Went to Golden Corral and once again they thought I was a senior (60+). I said I know I'm post-menopausal but I don't think I look that old. LOL. But this time (unlike the last few times) we didn't argue about the discount. It's less than $1 difference anyway. Waitress was busting her hump clearing tables, refilling the plate rack, bringing drinks/refills, etc. She even went over and got us some lemon slices for the water because the tap water they used tasted horrible. Food was good. I will regret it later, but they had carrot cake, chocolate cake, and pumpkin pie. Funny thing is, I liked the frosting on the chocolate cake better than the cake but I liked the cake on the carrot cake but don't like cream cheese frosting so I scraped it off. I also don't like pie crust so I ate just the filling part of the pumpkin pie. I wonder how it would taste with graham cracker crust.

Previous people at our table didn't leave a tip for the poor waitress. I took the paper that gets left on the table, and wrote "Thank You" and drew a little elephant under it. Then handed it to her with the tip so no one would steal her tip. She thanked me and walked in the back and then came back out to tell me she loves elephants and that the drawing was cute. I gave her more than 20% tip so she was happy about that as well. I don't care if its buffet, she was working hard.

Worked on my bathroom, glued up a patch at the end of one of the boards then stapled it so I could take the tape off. Stapled up some shims, cut pvc baseboard and dry fit it over the bottom of the tub. It looks really nice. I also located my copper pipe cutter and put it on the tub spout stub out. I looked for my brad nailer but grabbed pin nailer by mistake.

Oh, I was able to get my miter saw (on its stand) out of the pantry by myself. My friend thought I'd need help. Cuts were coming out crooked so I looked and realized its was a hair to the right of 0. Turns out that even if you set it perfectly to zero, when you tighten the knob to a certain point it moves. And it was a bitch to get to zero-- kept going past it so I had to very gently tap until I got it in place and then make sure not to overtighten the knob.

I tried to get the air compressor down but it weighs 32lbs and is on a high shelf to the left. My left arm was not cooperating. I used a squeeze tube of adhesive and put a caulk condom on it afterward but it is hard to squeeze out. I will have to go with the type that requires a caulk gun later.

Here's a picture of the baseboard by the tub (only dry fitted for now). The mice chewed one spot that is visible but I think I can patch that and or hide it with caulk. I do wish I could figure out how to remove that red stain. Tried baking soda, vinegar, both, hydrogen peroxide, etc. Haven't tried bleach yet though.
1686192554841.png

Previous people at our table didn't leave a tip for the poor waitress. I took the paper that gets left on the table, and wrote "Thank You" and drew a little elephant under it. Then handed it to her with the tip so no one would steal her tip.
Karen and I went out to eat last night and when bill time came she handed me the bill. I said sorry wrong person, and then she said she had put the bill in the center of the table between him and her and he went off on her that it was closer to the gal and didn't leave a tip at all.
Guess what? We forgot to leave one also and Karen realized it when we got home, so old Daris took the tip back up to her and handed it to her personally and apoligize. She thanked me profusely. Good thing the restraunt is about a mile from our house.

Karen and I went out to eat last night and when bill time came she handed me the bill. I said sorry wrong person, and then she said she had put the bill in the center of the table between him and her and he went off on her that it was closer to the gal and didn't leave a tip at all.
Guess what? We forgot to leave one also and Karen realized it when we got home, so old Daris took the tip back up to her and handed it to her personally and apoligize. She thanked me profusely. Good thing the restraunt is about a mile from our house.
If I pay before I leave the tip on the table or hand it to the server personally. I've seen someone from a nearby table snatch the tip left for a server before. Also saw other waitstaff snatch the tip. Sadly, the churchgoing crowds on Sundays are notorious for not only refusing to leave tips, but for stealing tips that were left off of the tables. Happened all the time at the local Pizza Hut. The people would come out of church, pile in, let their kids run amok, yell at waitstaff, make huge messes, and if they saw a tip left on a table they would snatch it.

If I pay after eating I leave the tip on the bill because I don't carry much cash with me.

The only times I don't tip are when the servers are extremely rude.

Thunderstorms are kicking up today.

I went to sleep last night and didn't wake up until late afternoon. I thought it was still morning. Nope. LOL.

Got a little more work done on the trim. I cut a scrap piece of the 5-1/2" board into three 1/4" strips, cut off the bevels on the tops & bottoms, glued them together, and then glued them to the side of the strip that will go on the wall. Fills the gap a bit better. Stapled them on once I was happy with the fit. I can use some paintable caulk & touch-up paint to hide seams.

Still need to get my tablesaw together and get out the correct nail gun and the air compressor.

Latest posts

Back