What impression do you leave with your customer

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.J.

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
What does the way you work say about you. It goes beyond just the work itself. You can be the best installer ever but if you’re a slob…How do you leave your job site. Do you clean up on multi day jobs. Are you clean while working on a one day job. Do you leave tools strewn about looking like a disorganized hack. Razor blades left about. Scraps in the walk way.

Checking my oil this morning and found a razor blade left from someone. Mechanic? Windshield replacement? Got me thinking, what does your work say about you even if it’s months down the road? Maybe having OCD isn’t such a bad thing. Are you one of those guys that leaves razor blades on window sills and scraps thrown about only to be cleaned up later, if you even remember. Or do you work clean with meticulous attention to detail even for the small things that aren’t the work itself.

326EC457-EB7A-4213-954F-836F1BB5E5F0.jpeg

No doubt that's from a glass replacement.

I’m sure you’re right. I remember that kid. He told me he could tell a Mexican apart from someone else from Central or South America just by looking at them. I can’t. That’s why I ask people where they’re from. He had a few other choice comments but he showed up on time and did a decent job so I gave him a good review saying as much.

I’m sure you’re right. I remember that kid. He told me he could tell a Mexican apart from someone else from Central or South America just by looking at them. I can’t. That’s why I ask people where they’re from. He had a few other choice comments but he showed up on time and did a decent job so I gave him a good review saying as much.
What amazes me is that Mexicans and Guatemalans hate each other. I asked a Guatemalan guy I know why. He said it goes clear back to when Mexicans were Aztecs and Guatemalans were Mayan and they were enemies. They won't even eat food prepared by each other. Guatemalans don't like the hot, spicy foods that other Hispanics eat.

A lot of people don’t like each other. Russians and Ukrainians, multiple flavors of Asians. I did a job for some Ethiopian customers. I asked them about Ethiopia. They said there really aren’t any white people there. I commented that there must not be any racism like we have here. She replied there is. It’s all about what tribe you’re from. I worked with an American born Mexican and we were doin a job that some Mexican born Mexicans were flipping him shit saying he wasn’t a real Mexican. It’s just stupid. I’ve had to inspect jobs that were done by either Mexicans or Ukrainians. The jobs looked good but the customer didn’t like the installers so there just HAD to be something wrong with the job. People are just plain ol fucked up.

I clean up everyday. Cut on a tarp, saw attached to a vac. keep a trash can by the saw for scraps, 5g bucket or 2 instead for small stuff. Put my tools away, on site, if they are ok with it, other wise I load them up. Don't want the liability. But now, as of 7/1/21, I'm an employee, not a contractor, deactivated my license, as it was up for renewal, and I plan on retiring from shop related installs at the end of the year. In fact, I'm sitting at home getting pais, as its a holiday, paid at that. Haven't had on of those since 1985. Or paid sick days.

Is this Steve Olson?

I generally clean up, it’s called “good housekeeping” and it’s a safe way of working. When things start to pile up I have to stop separate, organize etc. then continue on. On a 3 day job I just did the sign is out to stay clear of tools and demo area. The total cleanup may not be feasible and leaving job with different areas of demo gives the customer an idea of process(opened the door, left, called when done to lockup)

I told the tree people they didn’t need to rake debris since it was my fault I had someone else drop trees. The part 2 they did they even mowed the lawn, they said they won’t leave a mess no matter who did it.

your topic though only leaves one answer, you would have to ask to complete a survey. (Feedback) Otherwise it’s just your perception. What is that monkey survey?

your topic though only leaves one answer, you would have to ask to complete a survey. (Feedback) Otherwise it’s just your perception. What is that monkey survey?

I’ve worked for shops that send out post installation questionnaires and box stores have the customers score you. Seeing those reviews and scores is excellent feedback on what you’re doing right and what needs improvement.

I hate walking in to a mess from the previous day so I really make an effort to stop and clean up in time to walk out the door at 8 hours------no OT for us hourly guys.

I really lean into apprentices not about working like ALL THE OTHER ANIMALS. I like to say it loud enough so that even though it's theoretically directed at the apprentice I say it with the FULL intention of letting the other trades appreciate how I feel about working around their mess, let alone if I should have to clean up their shit. My apprentices are hip to the game.

I hate walking in to a mess from the previous day so I really make an effort to stop and clean up in time to walk out the door at 8 hours------no OT for us hourly guys.

I really lean into apprentices not about working like ALL THE OTHER ANIMALS. I like to say it loud enough so that even though it's theoretically directed at the apprentice I say it with the FULL intention of letting the other trades appreciate how I feel about working around their mess, let alone if I should have to clean up their shit. My apprentices are hip to the game.
Ugh, working around electricians and drywall guys.

Is this Steve Olson?
It is. Not sure what you meant about completing the monkey survey, but that's not that unusual. I just meant, in my particular case, I was told that as an hourly guy, I need to differentiate more between the best way, and the faster way. I think Incognito knows what I'm talking about, because he has mentioned running into the same thing. I'm not goin to start just slapping stuff in, but be bit more lenient in my approach. Mike, I read and reread some of your posts, and still are not always sure what you're asking...But that's just me. :)

Not sure why I got a 200$ tip today, couple is not well off, have 3 young kids, I said no but he persisted. 8-4 job, demo, eddy helped me remove 2 layers of vinyl, cut a 12” National Razor blade in half. Oh, my point, I don’t know what “their” impression is, it’s so vast of possibilities.

Attachments

• EC89E667-E0D0-4B74-BA27-CD6DDDC7446A.jpeg
    EC89E667-E0D0-4B74-BA27-CD6DDDC7446A.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 92
What amazes me is that Mexicans and Guatemalans hate each other. I asked a Guatemalan guy I know why. He said it goes clear back to when Mexicans were Aztecs and Guatemalans were Mayan and they were enemies. They won't even eat food prepared by each other. Guatemalans don't like the hot, spicy foods that other Hispanics eat.
I must be Guatemalan. I don't get too far past yellow mustard.
..... Okay a tad of that hot Chinese mustard once in awhile. 😁

I’ve worked for shops that send out post installation questionnaires and box stores have the customers score you. Seeing those reviews and scores is excellent feedback on what you’re doing right and what needs improvement.
The only feedback I get from my customers is lunch and dinner offers. 😁

Latest posts

Back