What is the best way to attach the newel posts to the floor ?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I was looking at that aspect when you posted -the top one will be anchored to a stud in the wall to the left via the handrail
the first one, closest to the wall it the one that is probably most easily to secure from below as it has lots of framing (2x4 underneat)
The middle one is not bad either -only the top one was questionable but I just realized it will secured on two directions so if I manage to anchor the bottom ones very well then it will be good
It will certainly be better than what is currently there
Not sure why they put the small spindle next to the post you can guess at the bottom right corner of this picture
p18dTXD.jpeg

That spindle is there for support. You think it looks odd but I guarantee it’s there for a reason.

If the posts land right on top of a joist (which they probably do) you might want to consider using a zip bolt from the top rather than trying to lag bolt all the way through the beam from below. This along with the notched post and the tight fit into your plunge cut should give you all the structural integrity you need. With the notched post if you mess up the plunge cut a little you can shim it tight and still get a clean look. The zip bolt makes it easy, you don’t need to fit a wrench in that little hole… Down side is you have to plug the hole.

https://www.amazon.com/Zipbolt-Supe...8259288&sr=8-1-spons&smid=A3OW500AXMI9FF&th=1

@JPfloor That is bang on on what is probably going to happen with the bottom posts
After taking a look at what is there here is a diagram showing what could be possible.
I still need to see if the things align properly
I might need to get to post flash with the stringers at the open end and that will probably ruin the finish on that side (I will need to cut into it to allow the post to get very close to the stringers in order to allow the notch to go on the side of that structural 2x8
The first post closed to the viewer is not going to be a big challenge, it should go into one or the other 2x8 that are intersecting there
iF9bgHD.png

Last edited:
The top post will be anchored to the wall via handrail and to the middle post as well. so for that one I am going to use a double end thread screw -seems to be enough I do not want to toy too much with the floor on that strip because I had a custom piece done with floor matching nose (done from my hardwood floor )

Just check if those 2X8s doubled up. If they are just be careful to sink the zip bolt into the center of one or the other and not in between the two.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back