What kind of Hardwood is this?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gk1977

Hi, I just bought a home and planning to get hardwood floors refinished. What kind of hardwood is this and will whitewash done professionally look good on this? What should be expected expenses? About 1800 sq ft.

Attachments

• Dining room.jpeg
    Dining room.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 136
I am with C.J. on this one, hand scraped oak engineered something something. It would be laborious to have it refinished seeing as it is hand scraped and factory finished. There are some chemical strippers that might be up to the task but I am so unfamiliar with them I cannot offer advice. I know there has been some development in this area of late for just this reason and well I simply have not kept up to date on it all.

See the issue with hand scraped and distressed boards in general and for that matter most engineered floors is that there really isn't enough meat on the bone so to speak to sand them down back to flat, remove the stain and finish and then go again.

You do not magically have any attic stock laying around that you could show a picture of? It would be much easier to assess seeing a cross section of the wood than just a topical image.

All of that being equal, for me to come and sand, stain and finish a hardwood floor would start around 4.50-5.00 dollars and move up from there. It is a highly area dependent industry and I do not know pricing in your area but that is the best I could do.

I am with C.J. on this one, hand scraped oak engineered something something. It would be laborious to have it refinished seeing as it is hand scraped and factory finished. There are some chemical strippers that might be up to the task but I am so unfamiliar with them I cannot offer advice. I know there has been some development in this area of late for just this reason and well I simply have not kept up to date on it all.

See the issue with hand scraped and distressed boards in general and for that matter most engineered floors is that there really isn't enough meat on the bone so to speak to sand them down back to flat, remove the stain and finish and then go again.

You do not magically have any attic stock laying around that you could show a picture of? It would be much easier to assess seeing a cross section of the wood than just a topical image.

All of that being equal, for me to come and sand, stain and finish a hardwood floor would start around 4.50-5.00 dollars and move up from there. It is a highly area dependent industry and I do not know pricing in your area but that is the best I could do.

Thanks!

I checked with the builder and it is a Walnut hardwood floor. Now what is best option if I want to refinish this?

Latest posts

Back