What sander to use

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnmcg4

I was thinking of using the Clarke drum sander from HomeDepot rental. I want to use this to flatten the seams and high spots of an OSB subfloor prior to installing 1/2” engineered HW. Is this the best way to prep the floor with the drum sander. I’ve used a belt sander, but this seems to take forever and is not the best results. Any advise is appreciated .
Thanks John

The edger hits the high spots in the t&g and you can use it to buzz down a stray strand here and there when you spot them.
A drum sander is a lot heavier and awkward to handle in this situation...... and harder to use.

Once you get the seams down, use a good straightedge....maybe a 6 foot level to check the floor for other high spots and loose chips, but also for low places or dips. Check the instructions for your flooring to get the floor flat to their specifications. That's very important and often overlooked.

I often use 20 grit paper made for angle grinders and designed for metal. It's the same size, but much stiffer, so it needs a little modification at the mounting holes area.
The larger the grit, such as 20 grit works best.
I'll show the angle grinder disk modification if you need it or cant find 20 grit where you rent the sander.

My brother bought the one I use and we don do wood floors. He bought about 30 years ago, partly for sanding floor underlayment ridges. With the right paper it can knock off ridges in concrete or filler. It's a fantastic tool. A local shop had two of these and wood flooring was being overtaken by carpet. They didn't need two, so my brother asked how much. The guy said $150. 🙏 I think a new one today is just over $2000.

Latest posts

Back