What to do with this subfloor?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first time doing any flooring, we're trying to pull out the old carpet and install floating laminate ourselves. We've pulled up the carpet and I see some spots where the plywood isn't quite lined up. Does it need to just be nailed down better where it's lifting on these edges, or do I need to replace the plywood? Obviously plywood is very expensive right now and I would really prefer not to have to replace it.
PXL_20210619_001127512.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210619_001035622.jpg
    PXL_20210619_001035622.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 102
That my friend is not plywood, it is the devil incarnate. Puff board is terrible, remove a small piece someplace or look at a heater vent and see what your subfloor actually looks like. Likely it is osb or ply, the jump for joy and remove all the puff board.

That or secure it all and go over it

Poor particleboard gets no respect. So “Ply”wood is layers of wood, I guess they peel a tree trunk like a carrot and glue the layers together. 3 ply, 3 layers, 5 ply 5. OSB are larger particles also glued/pressure. My major dislike is the adhesive they used, it’s not moisture resistant. Nowadays there’s great OSB, Advantech is one type.

floating floors want flat, non moving substrates. They may disconnect or make different sounds if not uniformly flat and in direct contact with substrate.

Its strange to see that stuff in a home, it it does happen. Maybe they were shooting for sound deadening....maybe.

Let us know what you find under a section for sure :)

Luckily one of the nice things about floating floors is that they can be installed over a lot of things that other floors can’t. You want smooth and flat. Sand any underlayment seams so they are smooth. No lippage or over/ under. Check your floor for flatness. We use straight edges but you can get by with a piece of base or a level or… if you have to smooth out any underlayment seams, check those for flatness as well. Low spots or dips can be brought up with floor patch or by filling them in with multiple layers of roofing felt. High spots can be sanded down. Lucky for you that stuff sands pretty easily.

You could spend thousands on what’s under the carpet and not change what it would be like to install over it.
put ten or so pieces of your new floor down (buy a box if you have to) and walk on it . If it feels good over the “bad spots” you’re probably ok unless you plan on leaving the house to your great grandchildren, if that’s the case by all means replace everything

Latest posts

Back