What went wrong with finish?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgskier

I am new to this forum and am looking for advice on hardwood floors. We want to install new red oak floors in our home. My brother had his floors installed new and the lower level was screened and finished. There are some issues with the old floors. I am attaching a few pictures and was hoping someone had an idea of what went wrong. The floors were done almost one year ago and it has areas where the finish is coming up. What can cause this to happen?

20160724_145335.jpg

20160724_141702.jpg

20160724_141735.jpg

There are quite a few things that could have caused those failures. Moisture, improper prep, improper application, inadequate time between coats of sealer and finish, improper acclimation, failure to TEST for proper acclimation, moisture, humidity...........

It's a long list of how to do a wood flooring job correctly from A to Z.

FYI my experience is less as a hardwood flooring installer and finisher but rather as a Quality Control and Superintendent on some very sizable projects.

So I had to do a lot of reading up and a lot of contentious battles with those above me and the installation/refinishing crews to ensure work was done to specs.

NOTHING easy about any of this crap...............as you should now understand by seeing the SHIT that results from saying WTF and just slapping in the flooring.

Hire a serious professional. Don't be afraid to ask questions. A serious pro will have no problems explaining Shit from Shinola.

Those are two different things BTW.

Looks like wax residue. Wax is death for a finished floor. Once I scrapped my wax crap off this is what they look like

Attachments

• IMG_7274.JPG
    IMG_7274.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 208
I looked through some files and was able to find a few pictures where the stain was not completely dry before finish was applied. You can see the scratches between coats indicating proper abrasion.

These pictures were taken with a digital microscope camera at 10 x magnification. The blue-gray background is the microscope stand.
9.jpg 11.jpg

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 201
The pics are cool looking but in court its standing position from three or four feet away.

Same floor. I just used the pics from the microscope to show the reason the finish is releasing from the floor.

Attachments

• 090515B 102.jpg
    090515B 102.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 217

Latest posts

Back