What's under my carpet?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacsAre1

Have an old carpet in the home we bought earlier this year, it's pulling up a little bit on the tack strip and I took a peek underneath to see if there is any other flooring. I see this wood but it has a wood grain texture more like lumber... Is it some sort of subfloor? The house is slab on grade so would have expected the subfloor to be concrete. It doesn't seem like plywood, though.

Was kind of hoping for something usable that I can just rip the carpet out and not have to spend much, but I can't figure out what this is.

Attachments

• 20181109_114104.jpg
    20181109_114104.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 124
Either your picture is to close it makes the edge blurry to me anyway but like florist says you have a glue down floor with the trowel marks. Or at least there once was a glued down floor. But it also looks like there could be rebond pad at the very top of the picture. Just guessing.

Looks like trowel/glue residue over top of sheet vinyl.
Whats under it, no idea .

Should have clarified. At the bottom of the pic you see the tack strip, and there's an overlap of the linoleum from the kitchen for about an inch. So ignore that part. Then the wood begins, trying to figure out what that is. I can feel ridges, but it looks more like wood grain to me.

Here's another pic if it helps any.

I am holding up the carpet and the pad so you can't see those in the first pic. Can see the pad in the pic here.
Wish I could get a better pic but was trying to avoid tearing out more of the carpet than what's already come loose.

It may be that this section was repaired with glue, when we looked at the house with the realtor the first time it had come up, but by the time we moved in it was reattached (now come up again).

Attachments

• 20181109_114059.jpg
    20181109_114059.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 115
I see the metal tackstrip now. You'll need to pull it back farther to get a decent down shot of the floor under the pad.

Latest posts

Back