When you double strip a room

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever seen the plastic tackstrip?

I did years ago. I knew the inventor and it didn't work. The pins were shaped like little pyramids and as soon ask pressure was put on them the point broke off. He thought it would be great for the stadiums and astro turf that was out of doors.
As far as the dohickies or thingamajigs that went under the wall plate I tried them once. Not really impressed, but did work to an extent. They couldn't be spaced to far apart.
Here is a link for a spike. There is one that also has 2 spikes in it.
http://www.tools4flooring.com/gundlach-737-stretcher-hook-p-912.html
http://www.tools4flooring.com/gundlach-747-double-stretcher-hook-p-1019.html

Daris

Last edited:
We had a Silverline tack strip factory here for a few years. Silver, the owner, has a huge farm several miles east of here. Several hundred acres.

Ever try one of these?

gundlach-477.jpg

Ever try one of these?

Yes I have. Not impressed. The one I used had a wheel kit and you could use it as a 2 wheeled cart also. The trick to that thing was to tie a piece of rope across the bars to make a sling that the stretcher would move with it when you moved it or you had to position the tool then move the head into place.

Daris

In the picture with the fireplace you will see bubbles 6 feet apart. Those are pad seams that have duct tape on them. The pad is not overlapped. I was wondering if maybe the tape had something to do with it.
CAN YOU SAY TRIPLE STRIP and still some of it not solid.
The new red strip is tritack.

Daris

I been using duck tape for seems for years Daris. NO PROBLEMS.

I use duct tape like Nick. That's not the problem. The installer on the job you fixed didn't even own a kicker.

Well he may have owned a kicker. The concrete is so bad its near impossible to anchor the strip solid. The original concrete had a cap poured over the top about 1". When I drilled it the bit would go through and I about broke my nose falling. More problems than the law should allow.

Daris

Well he may have owned a kicker. The concrete is so bad its near impossible to anchor the strip solid. The original concrete had a cap poured over the top about 1". When I drilled it the bit would go through and I about broke my nose falling. More problems than the law should allow.

Daris

Something was still odd. A carpet that was simply layed in place shouldn't wrinkle like that. I mean, look at the wrinkles in that doorway in the 3rd photo down. How could it wrinkle so much like that unless they used a soft 5/8" pad, didn't stretch the carpet, installed the carpet in mid winter before the heat was turned on and the room flooded at some point 5 years after the installation?

Last edited:
When I moved back here in '92, one of the stores hired me to do repairs of the jobs from their previous installer. I worked 40-50 hours a week for 3 months. One of the jobs looked similar to that. I found out that he just seamed the carpet together, rubbed it down on the strip and trimmed it. No stretch at all.

Something was still odd. A carpet that was simply layed in place shouldn't wrinkle like that. I mean, look at the wrinkles in that doorway in the 3rd photo down. How could it wrinkle so much like that unless they used a soft 5/8" pad, didn't stretch the carpet, installed the carpet in mid winter before the heat was turned on and the room flooded at some point 5 years after the installation?

That is a very small room. Utility room maybe 8x12 total with the hall cutout. I'm thinking it was installed at a later date as the door not shown had z bar in it with that room butting up to it. I also got more carpet up the wall than any other room in the house. Pad 7/16 6 lb.

Daris

When I moved back here in '92, one of the stores hired me to do repairs of the jobs from their previous installer. I worked 40-50 hours a week for 3 months. One of the jobs looked similar to that. I found out that he just seamed the carpet together, rubbed it down on the strip and trimmed it. No stretch at all.
Daris's job looked like the guy started at the outside walls, then kicked towards the center. :D

That is a very small room. Utility room maybe 8x12 total with the hall cutout. I'm thinking it was installed at a later date as the door not shown had z bar in it with that room butting up to it. I also got more carpet up the wall than any other room in the house. Pad 7/16 6 lb.

Daris

.....oh sure , make the guy look good. :D

.....oh sure , make the guy look good. :D

Not making him look good, if he was he would have seamed the door together.
I couldn't even make myself look good really. Oh sure the areas are flat but there are other issues I didn't address. Oh well the original owner just was making it look good for the new buyers-his sister.

Daris

Latest posts

Back